Sign in to follow this  
sexnbmx

Just saw the movie R.A.D. for the first time

BTW the best time to watch RAD is at 4:20 these days. It sheds a whole new light on it. :nah.I.mean:

Gettin' ready to...BREAK...THE...ICE!

I hold RAD single handedly responsible for ending old school bmx as we know it. It gleamed the cube for sure :)

When RAD came out.....it was a movie about BMX (in its own way) with all our BMX hero's in it! That was the greatest thing for a bmx'n kid to hear was coming to a movie theater near them. BMX cult classic right along with BMX Bandits as well, love the 80's! :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Honestly, it did a good job of locking the early 80's into a frozen moment in time, like any good movie does. A time when kids could deliver a newspaper from their bmx bike, or when you could have a cop buddy who chases you on your bike, with him on a chp motorcycle, thru a dirt lot. Or when racing had hometown sponsers, and hometown hero's. I felt Rad did pretty good at showing the BMX scene from a real world perspective.

The only actual cornball parts where with the relationship with CRU and the girl racer. And those god awful bmx disco scenes! The rest of it was worthy of owning a copy...

Ooooops sorry I didn't mean to be so accidentally mean....of course at 44 years old, you know it is gonna come accross pretty lame when all i have been hearing for years now is "WHAT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN R.A.D.? Sorry guys i was just a race guy, but i can imagine what a few of you said about being a kid and it being the first time seen on the big screen, being kinda cool......but those disco BMX scenes.....ouch!.....and that stuffy little HELLTRACK that they looked like they were struggling to go 7 MPH on was killing me......not to mention numerous laps being almost physically impossible......HELL TRACK is one lap @ Bellflower BMX.....I about fall over when i cross the never ending finish line.....lol

Joe kid on a stingray......now that's THE SHIT.....: )

Ha, yeah I completely agree with Helltrack being cheesy and over the top. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I thought the qualifying races were exciting. I don't know why they didn't stick with something like that for the climax. Or even a traditional bmx race.

I wish they'd do a Rad blu ray and have Eddie and Martin do a commentary and have some extended or deleted scenes. They've released everything else on blu ray, but for some reason, no Rad. Actually, it has never even been officially released on DVD. Was there any mention of this at the reunion?

Owl, wow, that's crazy. I wonder if they're even working on it. How does that even happen? Oh well. One of us should meet up with Fiola and Martin and have them do some commentary and we can fit it in over a bootleg!

Thrashin', North Shore and Rad. They are what they are. Hollywood cashin' in on the totally awesome neon sports of the 1980's.

Of course they're gonna have extra cheese. But there's also some gold in there.

Cult classics.

And by the way, Rad was directed by Hal Needham who is a god damn American hero.

Amen to that. Besides being a badass stuntman, Needham wrote and directed Smokey and the Bandit. Think he did the same for Hooper, but not sure.

Hal Brett Needham

Mini Biography

As the highest paid stuntman in the world, Hal Needham broke 56 bones, his back twice, punctured a lung and knocked out a few teeth. His career has included work on 4500 television episodes and 310 feature films as a stuntman, stunt coordinator, 2nd unit director and ultimately, director.

He wrote and directed some of the most financially successful action comedy films, making his directorial debut with the box office smash, Smokey and the Bandit. The ten features he directed include Hooper and The Cannonball Run... A real outlaw race from coast-to-coast, where he drove a fake ambulance that could peg the speedometer at 150 mph, on which the movie Cannonball Run, was based. He also set trends in movies - the first director to show outtakes during end credits

personally I like both movies. Enjoy watching both a few times a year.