Sign in to follow this  
brycebarker

FIRST JMC?

This thread is a perfect example of why I love this site so much

Thanks to all who have posted their little pieces of the puzzle that mean so much to all of us

That Photo of the shop fronts is priceless!

Jim, If you could find time, could you possibly shed some light on your introduction to BMX through what I understand to be wheel building for Pedals Ready and the like?

I met John Chattuch not sure of the spelling at a swap meet. He was owner of CYC. He sold me some plastic gas tanks , number plates and some heavy duty spokes. THat was my start in BMX. We specialized in building wheels for high dollar road bikes. He took on Terry V. as a partner. They talked me into building wheels for CYC. We built most of the wheels for CYC. We also set up most of the bikes that were pictured in the CYC catalog. This was way be fore I decided to built a frame. About the time I got involved with CYC I got involved with Covina BMX. That is when I really got the bug & John Begin talked me into starting a Bike Shop team. Most of my customers were engineers at Areo Jet. They laughed at ne for getting into BMX. If I had to do it over again I would do the same thing. I love BMX!

Jim Melton

Awesome thread and pictures!!! One of the coolest BMX bikes I ever saw was the blue fade paint job. I remember seeing it in one of the magazines BITD. Does anyone have pictures of that one?

Awesome thread and pictures!!! One of the coolest BMX bikes I ever saw was the blue fade paint job. I remember seeing it in one of the magazines BITD. Does anyone have pictures of that one?

If you search "blue mist" you will find pics, and interesting threads.

Found them, thank you Steve!!! I was searching for blue fade, not mist, so that's why I wasn't getting any results.

Sweet bike. (Taking a guess on the equipment) 48 hole hole tandem Phil wood hub. 165 Dura Aces (I think), seat bolted directly to seat-post. Sr or Swan single alloy stem. Universal brake(?)modified to reach the rim. Everest Caima chain, FMF mini bars Pure trickness..

I think my head is going to explode... This thread rates high on the list of all-time awesome threads.

jmc2.jpgjmc1.jpg

What is the chain on that?

jim, why did you choose to make a mini frame at that time. with most of the bmx'ers at that time being full sized , it would seem that you would gear the bike towards big guys. could you give your take on that.

I met John Chattuch not sure of the spelling at a swap meet. He was owner of CYC. He sold me some plastic gas tanks , number plates and some heavy duty spokes. THat was my start in BMX. We specialized in building wheels for high dollar road bikes. He took on Terry V. as a partner. They talked me into building wheels for CYC. We built most of the wheels for CYC. We also set up most of the bikes that were pictured in the CYC catalog. This was way be fore I decided to built a frame. About the time I got involved with CYC I got involved with Covina BMX. That is when I really got the bug & John Begin talked me into starting a Bike Shop team. Most of my customers were engineers at Areo Jet. They laughed at ne for getting into BMX. If I had to do it over again I would do the same thing. I love BMX!

Jim Melton

rockout.gif36_1_32v[1].gif

And this thread keeps getting better. Thanks Jim for that info. That's stuff I would never have known.

Sweet bike. (Taking a guess on the equipment) 48 hole hole tandem Phil wood hub. 165 Dura Aces (I think), seat bolted directly to seat-post. Sr or Swan single alloy stem. Universal brake(?)modified to reach the rim. Everest Caima chain, FMF mini bars Pure trickness..

A friendly continuation of the equipment breakdown.....

Forks: Cook Bros. 'Mini' Forks

Headset: Meriter

Hubs: 48H tandem Phil(rear) 24H Campy(front)

Rims: 24H Fiamme

Tires: Vittoria

Bars: FMF or Race Inc.

Grips: Oury

Stem: SR

Pads: Jammin' Jimmy Weinert

Plate: 'cut-down' Hunt Wilde

Cranks: Dura-Ace

Pedals: Lyotard BMX Pedals?

Chain: Everest Serie Special

Brakes: Weinmann or Dia-Compe?

Any thoughts on the seat?

^^^^That's an early JM special headtube decal (circa '74).^^^^

Like the ones in the top of my pic.... the bottom ones with the white trim border are the '77, that's what the early BMX frames/team rides ran till the foil in '78. Only ran them one yr, makes sense considering they are the rarest of the three to find.

a3022596.jpg

*little date edit - I'm half Jim's age and my memory ain't worth a shit ! Only adds to how amazing he truly is. (If I learned one thing it's write everything down)

You can see in this pic that the head tube decal Clint had was foil. which were used on the plate and where can I get some?

clint-jmc-sm.jpg

That should be 78 then - Jim said they changed to the foil/chrome in 78 probably just before or at the same time as releasing they're new streamline fork aka the Leary fork .... I have all three versions still in the envelopes Jim signed and sent them in 8yrs ago ---- unless he slipped on the dates - JM specials early 70s, then 77s and lastly the foil 78s.

You can find the og headtubes listed from time to time - they are pretty close to the new reissue, but the corners are sharper/flimsier on the og and the foil is thinner .... Two things I love about JMC was there were loads of decals made since they were pretty cheap to print (as most were 1 color, just the headtube and coins had two colors) so there's allot of left over stock floating around, just be a little patient and they get hashed up.

And two) most JMC riders did custom sticker jobs on they're war machines after Jim's son passed who had done all the custom personalizing of the team frames - so though the ads may show a certain way to lay the stickers - its sort of a open end as to how they must be set up.

I personally never was a fan of the die cut frame decals.

Theres one decal I have never seen any where else but an ad and Jim doesnt recall having made - seen on the streamline fork ad, its a small square foil with a JMC sheild in the center - never seen a survivor turn up with, don't remember seeing any in Adams fleet, never seen one for sale, etc...

nice leathers clint is wearing there. i love the knee pads section.i hope someone still has a pair of those out there . thanks for showing the sticker cache dean, that is totally awesome. i never knew jim had stickers that long. that is great info.

all i know is the development date on the slide is dated april 1977. the frame is not painted as to indicate a prototype? the pictures were taken by the man who welded this bike. larry barker

jmc2.jpgjmc1.jpg

Just when you thought you had seen everything... This thread is great! From what I recall the foil was a standard around 79 (I dig the photo of Clint with the foil and then an OG plate sticker. I have a 78 that I went with the red outline head tube sticker which is what I remember from my 78 frame. JMChillin has the most in JMC Stickers (BTW, You need to let some us (I mean me) find another home for some of that history, LOL!) It is always cool to see something new/OG, and this is very cool for sure!

P4160028.JPG

came across this looking for other stuff... a thread full of "win"