Sign in to follow this  
rev106

Diamond Back Viper 20" to 26 conversion

My friend offloaded this 20" viper on me. I had this bike as a kid, it was my only "real" bmx and it got stolen (of course). My folks bought me another one which two weeks later was also stolen. 4 years later I got a call from the Compton PD saying they had my bike! Well the frame and fork were mine. Anyway fast forward many years and here is this thing, a mild steel viper the red headed stepchild of the bmx world. Why not cut it up? I've got it ready to build to ride today hopefully and I still need to do some more clean up etc but so far it looks ok. I'm going to ride it around a for a few weeks and work out any bugs before I do the final finish. The fork looks bent in the photo but it's just an optical illusion. Stay rad!

diamond back.JPG

diamond back (1).JPG

diamond back (5).JPG

diamond back (6).JPG

diamond back (7).JPGdiamond back (11).JPG

I fucking love it! What is the height of the bottom bracket? Kinda looks low? If you feel like making another, I would buy one...

that's nutty... curious about how it rides... geometry and all.

not sure how i feel about cutting up a perfectly good frame. i know they're the "red headed step child" of frames but i think i would have looked for a cracked or broken frame to chop up.

it looks like you welded the rear loops (with the drops) on upside down. the angle of the slots don't look right.

still kinda cool tho.

Yes the bb is low, I should have made the seat stays longer, that would have fixed the low bb problem and made the dropouts look like they are the right way, which they are. It's a mild steel mig welded viper and I'm too big to ride a 20 bike unless it has 20" of seat post, talk about goofy. Did about 15 miles on it tonight and so far it rides super smooth, I can ride it no-handed so it's pretty straight. I'll add some more pictures as it progresses, I'm going to ride it for a few weeks before I do a finish to make sure it holds up.

Edited by rev106

Yes the bb is low, I should have made the seat stays longer, that would have fixed the low bb problem and made the dropouts look like they are the right way, which they are. It's a mild steel mig welded viper and I'm too big to ride a 20 bike unless it has 20" of seat post, talk about goofy. Did about 15 miles on it tonight and so far it rides super smooth, I can ride it no-handed so it's pretty straight. I'll add some more pictures as it progresses, I'm going to ride it for a few weeks before I do a finish to make sure it holds up.

Here's some more pics.

diamond back (2).JPG

diamond back (5).JPG

diamond back (4).JPG

diamond back (8).JPG

diamond back (10).JPG

Here's some more pics.

diamond back (2).JPG

diamond back (5).JPG

diamond back (4).JPG

diamond back (8).JPG

diamond back (10).JPG

Sick Paul, looks rad. :)

I love it! Are you going to finish it with some color or leave it rough.

diamondback 15.JPG

diamondback 15 (1).JPG

diamondback 15 (2).JPG

I plan on doing a finish and getting a sticker kit. Here's how it looks now as a rider and a few pics of some of the metal work, I blended the two pieces with a hand file.

This is awesome. I have always wanted to do the same thing. A guy in EU made a custom 24" cruiser and did a top notch job. I can't find the link at the moment, but same idea. Great work!

I've heard of a layback seat post, but never a layback seat tube!

great job on this custom project !!!!!! I bet it rides like a magic carpet !!!! cruise on brother !!!!!

I kind of like it rat roddy, I wouldn't paint it....you can still see your childhood frame that way

I know, but I'll do this one finished and down the road do another perhaps. It rides like a dream for sure, a no hander cruiser!

Yes, it's lugged or slugged but I'm sure it's safe. I put a 7/8 piece of metal in the frame and leave a gap which I fill with a weld, I did the same with the seat and chain stays. I've cut and extended a lot of fork steer tubes and done mountain bike races on forks with my weld jobs so I'm sure it will hold up.

railin.jpg

Here's me doing a coaster brake off road race on a 50's cruiser with a Yeti fork that I've cut and extended, still alive people and just as dirty! That was a bear, 23 miles and 3700 feet of climbing. Not to mention the couple of times I over shot a corner and went into the bushes! Regardless, thanks for the concern but I'm sure the frame will hold up to cruising and the occasional curb hop.

johnoncooks.jpg

And slightly off topic here's another racer in that race getting sideways on a Cooks...

Edited by rev106

Right on!

Coaster brake races.. downhill sounds fun, uphill, not so much :)

Hey paul I was hoping the bike was gonna be there at your shop friday!!!Well next time I swing by hope I can get a pedal on it.matt

Edited by LIVE TO RIDE

Yeah, Matt just watch the corners! Keep that inboard pedal up and it's all good. I've made a lot of wacky creations in my time this bike being one of the more tame things I've put together.

Observe:

Choppercabras Spring Thing 2007 (27).jpg

diamondback16.jpg

mostly done, I'm just having a hard time springing 50 bucks for labels.....

Looks great! Cant wait to see it with decals, once you spring the 50 bucks of course.:CashMoney: