Sign in to follow this  
mrraceinc

Picked up this junker RL 20ii today

Well I didn't actually pick this up as I was on the road out of state when I got the call from the owner. I had to really hustle to get someone to grab it for me. I first saw this bike a little over a week ago and tried to buy it. The original owner wasn't ready to sell yet so I gave her my card. I was kicking myself as soon as I drove off for not offering more money. I knew I would never hear from her again. She had owned it since she was 14. Fast forward to today. I got multiple calls from a number I didn't recognize. When I finally checked my voicemail and it was her! She was ready to sell. Here are the pics my wife sent me.

ResizedImage951361245888799_1.jpg

Edited by mrraceinc

Awesome!!!! I had a yellow one for a while and loved it. That color's pretty awesome too!

Funny, I've been getting calls from some number I don't know a few times this week. Maybe I should answer it, lol.

I am really stoked to get it. I have been looking for an affordable one for a long time so I could sell my NOS frame set. Just wouldn't have the heart to touch a NOS one. I can carefully ride the teal one and enjoy it!

looks like it's in great shape for it's age. All there except for the front brake.

Looks like a late 85 model w/ chrome rear triangle and high fork pegs. Paint looks good, ACS rotor, Peregrines, I'd flip it and make some money. These bikes go large. A guy at work bought one all rusted out and flipped it for $1300.00. Good Luck.

I didn't buy it to flip it. I actually really like the color a lot better than my black and chrome NOS one. I haven't even physically even really looked at it up close. It is killing me knowing I am out of town and won't get to play with it until Saturday!

That's a really cool bike. Those freestyle bikes are after my time but I dig them just the same. I like the color a lot. When I rode the Peregrine's had yet to come out but I think they are cool. I like the 48 spoke rim and am always looking for some for my newschool bike. Haven't had much luck finding any.

Thanks guys! From what I have seen it is SUPER clean. The girl that owned it had it for the last 14 year. She was 28. She got it on her 14th birthday. I guess her parents had purchased it from a friend of the family for $100. I didn't get to talk to her a whole lot but up until recently the bike had been in storage. She was between cars and had pulled it out for transportation. I need to wash/clean it up. Put a flyte tech seat and some front Nippons on it. Then just ride it.

Awesome! Definitely an 85 made in Japan.

Talk to me about your NOS black one? I've been trying to get a NOS black one off a guy from vintage for probably 8 years now.

That thing is awesome.

I LOVE that orig. turquoise color! So nostalgic.

:)

I love the turquoise the best too! I have owned a NOS California red and the NOS black and chrome and the is my favorite.

Super sick. Ive never been into freestyle but have always loved these. Great pickup.

Super sick. Ive never been into freestyle but have always loved these. Great pickup.

This was right at my time period. I never had freestyle bikes but a lot of my friends did! It is killing me being 350 miles away from it and I haven't even physically touched it. I was lucky enough to have a friend that could pick it up for me. It is great to have good friends!

Well I got home last Saturday and finally got a chance to check it out and do a quicky cleaning. All of it seems to be in pretty good shape. This must have been bought as a frame and fork set. It has a chrome Tuf Neck stem, Chrome Tuf Neck Sprocket, Beartrap headset, and Sugino cranks. It is in even better condition than I initially thought! You can tell it wasn't ridden a lot and was taken care of well. It has sat for a lot of years. I need to come up with a period seat, front Nippon brake and some decent grips and it should be good to go. I may put Flights on it as well as to me it has always seemed the RL20 IIs should have them.