Sign in to follow this  
I cant drive 55

What year GT bars

I have a set of GT bars. I would like to know what year they are? There is no GT stamp on them, they are 28 1/2 wide and have MX-275 on the left side grip area. Any help would be nice. Thanks

WP_20130303_002.jpg

Not 100% sure but I had a set of Unstamped Chrome GT Performer bars come off of a 1996 Performer. Strange thing was that they looked identical to my 1986 bars but were heavier and had a deeper knurl. (perhaps b/c of overseas production? again not sure) In 97 they went to the "newer school" bars.

Just looked into my photo archives and found the set.

These were the 96 bars. I see that they have different knurling then yours. Crazy how these were actually 96 bars though (whit an 86 decal on em. Snazzy huh?

IMG_3203.JPG

That is the problem I am having I think the newer models have no space between the knurling? Do yours have a stamp anywhere on them?

Just looked into my photo archives and found the set.

These were the 96 bars. I see that they have different knurling then yours. Crazy how these were actually 96 bars though (whit an 86 decal on em. Snazzy huh?

What year are your older ones What is the width of your set?

the above bars were not stamped. but they were also made of heavier thicker tubing then my older sets.

What year are your older ones What is the width of your set?

the above bars were not stamped. but they were also made of heavier thicker tubing then my older sets.

I have a second set (cut) in the garage. ill check tomorrow. not sure if that set is stamped though.. ill check.. god I have too much gt stuff Fml

I just checked my old set. They are cut down (so no measurement) They have the Circle Stamp GT and the knurling is solid across. Sorry I could not be of any more help.

Thanks. Looks like there is not much knowledge on the year of gt bars. I searched all over the place.

I just checked my old set. They are cut down (so no measurement) They have the Circle Stamp GT and the knurling is solid across. Sorry I could not be of any more help.

with no GT stamp and having that "MX-275" stamp, they are likely either OEM from a lower-end GT complete bike or just an import knock-off.

I was going to say the same thing. Also the early (85-86 at least) PP bars have no knurling.

with no GT stamp and having that "MX-275" stamp, they are likely either OEM from a lower-end GT complete bike or just an import knock-off.

Its hard to believe these could be a knock off. They are very high quality and actually look better then the past GT bars I have had?

Without a GT stamp you're always going to have doubters unfortunately. I have what I believe to be an early unstamped GT layback post with no markings. It came on an early 1984 Pro Performer. I have no way to confirm it though.

Oh also... I don't think GT actually manufactured the bars themselves. I had a set of bars that were exact duplicates of a set of NOS GT bars that I had. They had a decal on them but I can't remember the name. I never heard of that company, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the company that GT sourced to make bars for them.

They do have the residue in the exact shape of GT sticker. But who knows?