Sign in to follow this  
RyanPartridge

26" Cook Bros. Austin Special

Researching the Austin Cruzer shop has become a hobby of mine. I've acquired tons of info, stories, old photos, & I'm still collecting more. When I get everything together I'll share it properly, but for now, here's a quick summary for the sake of introducing my latest cruiser build.

In the early 80's, a small bike shop in Austin Texas known as Austin Cruzer was the headquarters to a hardcore 26" cruiser scene. The shop strictly sold 26" BMX cruisers & parts. At that time, THE cruiser to have was a Cook Bros Cruiser. According to the shop owner Lynn Carter, "If you rode a KOS or Laguna, you were saving your dough to get a Cook frame and transfer your parts over."

The guys back there rode hard and jumped hard. The bike frames were cracking and being repaired so often that they decided to add gussets to the seat stay/seat tube junction. Even though many frames were gusseted by a couple local welders, Cook Bros built around a dozen or so factory gusseted frames for the Austin Cruzer shop. 9 of those factory gusseted frames are accounted for and 4 of those still retain their original finish.

My bike was originally purchased by Justin B, ex-employee of Austin Cruzer and later passed on to me. According to Lynn Carter, chrome frames weren't stocked in the shop, they were special order only and only 1 or 2 are believed to have been done. This is a very special bike to me. The original owner was very particular about the home this cruzer went to and I feel honored to give it a new life. It's also taken me on a journey through the Austin Cruzer scene and I've met a lot of good people who are still stoked on Cruzin'. After I received the frame I built it like you see it.

All finish & decals are original. Enjoy!

CBR Austin Special frame

CBR fork, early non-patent pending Uni-Clamp stem & headset

CBR Longhorn cruiser bars

Takagi Cr-Mo 180 cranks

KKT LMX Magnesium pedals

Suntour 42 chainring

Sedis 4L Special chain

Araya 7x hoops

Phil 1st gen front hub

Sachs Automatic 2 speed coaster hub

Brooks B72 saddle date stamped 1976

CBR seat clamp from Billy McIntyre

Cruiser Knobby tires

002788CA-6082-430E-9CB3-59C0D2C18F7F-5045-0000032972182B14.jpg

A251DFAE-7288-48B2-9F17-59058FFA6385-5045-000003297A1F663A.jpg

12B1DD97-90A2-4E71-85D4-6EC8A4A33C64-5045-0000032987C0F851.jpg

9E54D2BE-8C50-44C5-91F7-0D6733A9377E-5045-000003298E9D136C.jpg

E81EF842-164A-41A3-8C2F-D24F9D151D0A-5045-00000329A323BD69.jpg

776305CB-4F6D-48B1-8A0E-86144EA4E3FD-5045-000003299686E897.jpg

0E9154C9-5B61-4E51-9F29-FF59ADD9166B-5045-000003299CEBEAB5.jpg

Such an interesting background story, and such a dialed bike... really dope. I'm kind of fascinated by the bars... I don't remember seeing that model of bars before. Maybe I'm just spacin'.

Stunning bike Ryan!

Great history and information to follow for sure.

So dope, man you have been building some sick 26r's lately.

That came out really nice Ryan. Are you running 18 in the rear? Have you played with any other gearing?

That came out really nice Ryan. Are you running 18 in the rear? Have you played with any other gearing?

Thanks Robert! I'm currently running 19-42 and I'm digging it. Before that I think I tried a 18-41 but I didn't like where it put my rear axle. I sort of wish the high gear waited a little longer to kick in, I may open it up and mess with the spring and see if I can adjust it. Then again, I should just leave it alone.

Ryan, your Cruiser is incredible and it rides super smooth. :ThumbsUp:

Thanks Joe!

Your cruiser rules! Thanks for letting me ride it, makes me want to find a Champion! I usually like my cruisers with a few curves but I think I could make an exception for an original red double down tube square back. :rockout:

Thanks Robert! I'm currently running 19-42 and I'm digging it. Before that I think I tried a 18-41 but I didn't like where it put my rear axle. I sort of wish the high gear waited a little longer to kick in, I may open it up and mess with the spring and see if I can adjust it. Then again, I should just leave it alone.

Instead of using the blue sachs use the red sachs .it will be more what your looking for

Instead of using the blue sachs use the red sachs .it will be more what your looking for

do you have a red one I could buy?

I like it..........

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, it really is appreciated. Never know when the torches & pitchforks are gonna come out. I'm glad you guys are stoked!

:ThumbsUp: :Creepin:

I wish finding another one, blue or red were that easy. It took me years to find this one.

Good news is, the centrifugal weights in the red & blue version are the same. Spring tension is what adjusts the shifting point.

sbros....youre spacing...i had a set of those bars on my 26 nomura like 7 years ago

That 2 speed auto hub brings it to a higher level of trickness.

And it is true that the spring adjust the timing. We messed with these back in the day to get them to shift when we wanted.

Over the years I even heard about someone using a spring from a pen. :)

That 2 speed auto hub brings it to a higher level of trickness.

And it is true that the spring adjust the timing. We messed with these back in the day to get them to shift when we wanted.

Over the years I even heard about someone using a spring from a pen. :)

Thanks, good to know!

Mine actually works pretty good as is, but sometimes my timing is off when I pull back to wheelie and it shifts on me. Messes up the flow. Next time I open it up to grease the bearings I might play with the spring...

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, it really is appreciated. Never know when the torches & pitchforks are gonna come out. I'm glad you guys are stoked!

:ThumbsUp: :Creepin:

I wish finding another one, blue or retd were that easy. It took me years to find this one.

Good news is, the centrifugal weights in the red & blue version are the same. Spring tension is what adjusts the shifting point.

Yep I know whatchya mean i have two of the blues that are mint and they were a bitch to find !!maybe one for sale