Sign in to follow this  
king stinger

Jmc Justin Roos frame-serial number JR1

Hi all,i found JMC model JR or Justin Roos Mini, serial number JR1.I contacted Jim Melton last night and he confirmed it is the first frame made for Justin.It is different than the others,it has a shorter rear end and his dad machined holes in the dropouts and elliptical gusset behind the bottom bracket.Not sure if the production model has the gusset,i could not find any good pics to look at,but i heard they did not have them.

phpK3VKjzPM.jpg

phpoXyiiPPM.jpg

phpnCHVEGPM.jpg

phpt8bE5RPM.jpg

php1eX8KGPM.jpg

Wow! Killer frame for sure.

Nice find.

Neato!!!

Thanks joe,if you look at the thread i posted in first here[the chrome bike]you can see something jim did not mention,on JR1 the top tube does not stick out as far past the peircing at the seat tube,i guess because of the rear end being shorter.

Did Jim give you an exact year this frame was made? All the production Justin Roos frames didn't have the lower chain stay lug, especially an elliptical one at that. I believe that particular style was way gone by late '79. Which makes this an interesting one, because didn't Justin Roos only race for JMC between '81-82?

Did Jim give you an exact year this frame was made? All the production Justin Roos frames didn't have the lower chain stay lug, especially an elliptical one at that. I believe that particular style was way gone by late '79. Which makes this an interesting one, because didn't Justin Roos only race for JMC between '81-82?

I did order the certificate today from jim,i will post it hear and see what year it says

1980 ABA District Point Top 10

20"

Scoring system: 50 points/1st Place Expert Finish

RANK DIST NAME POINTS DIST#

1. CA 5 JASON JENSEN 11556 1

2. CA 1 MARK B WILSON 10902 1

3. CA 1 ANDREW ZIRZOW 9424 2

4. AZ 1 JASON WHARTON 9324 1

5. AZ 1 JUSTIN ROOS 8949 2

6. CA 1 MIKE MIRANDA 8582 3

7. AZ 2 JON MARZOLF 8539 1

8. CA 5 ERIK KOCEN 8474 2

9. CA 9 TOSH MURAVIOV 8445 1

10. TX 3 STEVE HAYNES 7798 1

1981 ABA District Point Top 10

20"

Scoring system: 50 points/1st Place Expert Finish

RANK DIST NAME POINTS DIST#

1. AZ 1 JUSTIN ROOS 17352 1

2. AZ 4 BART L BARTLEY 16826 1

3. AZ 4 JEFF MOTEN 16739 2

4. AZ 1 DIGGER KALSOW 15796 2

5. CA 1 MARK B WILSON 15458 1

6. AZ 1 DAREN KELLNER 15072 3

7. AZ 4 SCOTT WILDING 14416 3

8. CA 1 JAMES SMITH 14075 2

9. TX 3 STEPHEN J VELTMAN 14024 1

10. TX 7 EDDIE SIEGMUND 13764 1

If you ask me I'd guess they used an earlier st'd model (may have been laying around from warantee or the like) and they toyed with it rather then make something to mess with ..... Mainly cause that elliptical brace was a trait long since gone by the time

Cool piece.

Beautiful frame and GREAT find ! Seriously throw every single part in the trash can. That kid Champion used the frame only. Those parts are a disgrace ! It hurts just looking at that crap mounted up. Nice find !

Beautiful frame and GREAT find ! Seriously throw every single part in the trash can. That kid Champion used the frame only. Those parts are a disgrace ! It hurts just looking at that crap mounted up. Nice find !

Thanks,yep someone later built it up with like 70's parts and not the good ones,the brakes do look pretty nice though,never seen that model before,they are Polygon?

I got another message from jim,he said Justins dad did shorten the drop outs an round the corners and he thinks the frame was dark brown or close to black in color,he gave it to them raw.

Thanks,yep someone later built it up with like 70's parts and not the good ones,the brakes do look pretty nice though,never seen that model before,they are Polygon?

I don't know the brakes as they are tucked under but if they do look O.G. Rock them ! You have a GEM !

From the few photos I have, here's a parts breakdown I came up with.

JMC JR1 frame (unpainted) w/ early (chrome) JMC 'mini' fork

7/8" Renthal motorcycle bars w/o removable crossbar

Grab-On foam grips (later photo shows MX2's)

Weinmann lever & brake (silver)

Sugino Maxy cranks w/ Sugino chain ring

Demco Futura X pedals (silver)

NISI sew-up rims (silver) *note: hard anodized versions were a slightly later offering*

low-flange road hubs (probably campy)

Snakebelly sew-up (front) Clement Girfo Neve sew-up (rear)

plain (black) pad set

severely cut-down number plate w/ a Zeronine 'wide design' number 2 (looks like his name is also painted across the top)

(close-up of the number plate)

Justin Roos 2.JPG

If you ask me I'd guess they used an earlier st'd model (may have been laying around from warantee or the like) and they toyed with it rather then make something to mess with ..... Mainly cause that elliptical brace was a trait long since gone by the time

Cool piece.

My guess is they went with the older style elliptical brace because of the complexities of shortening the stays. It appears the drops are shortened and welded lower on the loop, and to counter the higher BB height, the TT looks shortened behind the seat tube. This would essentially rotate the rear triangle upward and the tube brace maintains chainring clearance.

Everything about this frame looks really well thought out. That is a very cool, unique little frame you have there. It is essentially a prototype JMC team frame.

Awesome piece of BMX History......Great find! Thanks for sharing........I love threads like these!