Sign in to follow this  
66alfa_gtv

Diamondback Silver Streak

On a Mopar forum, a guy mentioned he has his original Diamonback Silver Streak from 1982-ish and was curious if it was worth anything. He says he probably still has the original shipping box and owners manual, and that it's almost identical to this:

498_461611.JPG

The bike is apparently in really nice shape with no scratches of missing parts. He swapped out the pedals for KKT lightnings.

I asked him for a photo of his actual bike, but he says it's just like the one in the pictures. I'm no expert on DBs, so I'm hoping some of you can offer opinions on what it might be worth. I don't think he's looking to sell.

• Like 1

My friends and I were riding on our Huffys and Murrays one Summer day in 1983 or 84 and the "new kid on the block" who happened to be the son of a doctor passed us by on that exact bike. Our jaws collectively dropped. We all thought that bike was just drop dead gorgeous.

We ended up becoming great friends. I picked up a frame a few years ago and sent it to him. Not sure if he did anything with it, but he was really touched when I gave it to him. Find out what that guy wants for it. Pics!

Which forum? I was an OG member of the MML back before it became a forum.

The tires would be where the $ is at. If the tread and sidewalls are in good shape the tires would probably double (maybe triple) the value of the bike. W/O tires the bike is probably worth a few hundy as a complete.

Diamond Back Silver Streak was my first "real" bmx bike...

They are a tri-moly frame I believe. Diamond Back is a collectible brand and does have a decent following. Silver Streaks were not as sought after as the Turbo but still a great bike...

Tell him I will trade him for a mint condition 1985 chrome Diamond Back Viper if he is interested in a trade. last year of the gusset. lol. but like some said, not worth much.

Edited by bmx bandit

He isn't selling. It sounds like he just wants to know if it has any value out of curiosity since he is it's original owner.

He mentioned it has the original tires with 50 percent of the tread left. The bike has been stored indoors since the 80s.

Without knowing for sure if there are some "exotic" parts, like tires or cranks, tough to say. You've got a $100-150 frame/fork combo. Then, a bunch of $20/each parts on top of that.

To sell it (unknown possible surprise exotic parts like tires), I'd bet he'd get $250'ish on eBay. 3 years ago, probably 2x that.

I say that as a "want to sell" price. Could he get more? Sure. But, if he wants to sell it this month, I think $250 is the number.

I would guess around $500-700 depending on condition. That's what I'd be willing to pay for that bike if I wanted one, but I just don't get as excited about those "complete" bikes they started selling in the early 80's. I was more of, and still am, more of a fan of bikes where you bought the frame and fork and built it up custom to your tastes, instead of unboxing someone else's idea of what a bike should look like. Although Diamond Back probably did have some of the best complete bikes on the market back in the day, the HL Turbo, being a prime example.

I would say a value for a bike in the condition shown is probably between $250-$500. Depending on the buyer...

My Silver Streak came from the shop with slightly different components. Instead of OPCs mine had 3PC Maxy Cross cranks. It also had Diamond Back "comp IIs" I think. My guess is that the shops that carried these bikes got them as f/f sets and build them with various parts.

Depending where it is sold. That on Australia eBay, i would say would most likely fetch $900 or possibly more.

If it has exotic parts like others have mentioned, then unfortunately, most likely it will be parted. The Compe II tires fetch big $ everywhere!

On 6/11/2013 at 9:20 AM, 66alfa_gtv said:

On a Mopar forum, a guy mentioned he has his original Diamonback Silver Streak from 1982-ish and was curious if it was worth anything. He says he probably still has the original shipping box and owners manual, and that it's almost identical to this:

498_461611.JPG

The bike is apparently in really nice shape with no scratches of missing parts. He swapped out the pedals for KKT lightnings.

I asked him for a photo of his actual bike, but he says it's just like the one in the pictures. I'm no expert on DBs, so I'm hoping some of you can offer opinions on what it might be worth. I don't think he's looking to sell.

All of a sudden people are collecting these silver streaks.. There not really ideal for rideing since there TT is generally 18 inches. Kinda of a small bike.But this was my first pro bike and I fell in love with the DB ss 2.i think I had an 85..out the box. But like every thing else in my life worth anything it was stolen.