Sign in to follow this  
ratrodbikes

1980 LAGUNA CRUISER

Picked this one up last week locally....rides really nice.

It's actually a chromoly S&S Newport that was labeled and sold as a Laguna Cruiser.

DSC_0045a.jpg

DSC_0059a.jpg

DSC_0053a.jpg

Edited by ratrodbikes

very strange that they would sticker a newport with laguna decals, wonder if laguna's were more expensive/desirable or something. I have a 26 laguna and it is great!

A friend of mine suggested that the guy putting on the decals that day was probably stoned. :blink:

Johnny Severin said that S&S gave him a bunch of Laguna parts at one point, but he doesn't remember much more than that.

oddly enough my survivor laguna came with the EXACT same set of wheels/hoops/hubs. Araya 7b anno yellow with coaster and high flange hub, same color. AND it came with the SAME 3 arrows Sprocket :-)

Very cool cruiser!

I'm not surprised you found an S&S Newport that got stickered as a Laguna, for a while S&S was manufacturing both companies frames. What's funny is, your bike is one of several I've seen that have S&S rear triangles welded to a Laguna front triangle. The S&S Newport originally had curved top, middle and down tubes. I believe when Laguna parted ways, S&S got stuck with some Laguna frame parts and just used em for their own frames. The first S&S frames even used Laguna rear dropouts flipped upside down(holes below the axle slots). Sometime in 1981 S&S came up with their own dropout design...it's shorter and the axle slot sits more horizontal.

Early S&S ad....May 1980

May1980-1.png

Even more clues that many companies frames were made by the same folks...here's the seldom seen Mega Cal Cruiser with an S&S Newport front triangle, Laguna chainstays looping up to S&S seat stays.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also, I'd be surprised if that frame is 4130 chromoly. I'm pretty sure the only 4130 cruiser frames S&S did were the Works Replica race frame and Bigfoot.

Laguna did make some 4130 versions of their frames but only in black and chrome.

Best way to tell is weight, and check for seams in the tubing inside the BB and headtube shell.

As for "4130" stickers, I've seen them come on mild steel frames direct from the factory from several different manufacturers, so you never know...

Hey Ryan,

The bike as pictured above weighs 31lbs.

It feels fairly lightweight for a 26" cruiser, but it is a single speed with alloy wheels so that may not amount to much.

The inside of the BB is solid and totally smooth...no holes that pass through from any of the connecting tubes.

There are folks on the Museum who claim to have S&S Newports that look identical to my bike...

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sands/13081#.UcX5Rj5oSGR

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sands/59942#.UcX5hj5oSGR

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sands/32901#.UcX5nD5oSGR

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sands/49277#.UcX5rj5oSGR

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sands/17487#.UcX5vD5oSGR

Edited by ratrodbikes

Yeah, I'd say they are all S&S Newports, some just have the 3 curved tubes up front and others have a Laguna front triangle.

Also, sometimes you'll see em stickered as S&S Rainbows built with multiple gears. I haven't seen any consistency between models and trust me, I've looked...

Here's some more groovy S&S stuff...

The article below on the Rainbow is from Jan 1981 as says they made their S&S forks out of mild steel and 4130 chromoly which is interesting. S&S forks came stock with open ended legs with a plastic plug, which I suppose could make it easy to check for seamless tubing. Nowadays, most don't have the plug anymore since they fall out easy. I have a set with and another set without. The fork on your bike appears to be a Tange stickered as a Laguna, which is pretty badass especially since it's painted to match.

rsz_s_s2.jpg

S_SrainbowCruiser.Jan81BMXracer.jpg

S_SreplicaCruiser.BMXRacer81.jpg

Here's a Newport or Rainbow stickered as a Work Replica...

P1030355.jpg

This one recently passed through my hands and now belongs to another member here.

Frame is sticker'd "4130", but I'm not positive if it is. There's no seams in the BB or headtube so that's interesting. I can say for sure that the undrilled fork has mild steel legs.

image-2.jpeg

image-3.jpeg

image-4.jpeg

Here are some close up detail shots...I think someone stamped their TX drivers license number on the BB.

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

I ordered a set of tires from Electra for the Laguna.

These are closer to the older Schwinn style knobbies than the new Kenda K80s.

I looked at a set on an Electra as my LBS and they don't say Electra anywhere on them...I think they had initials of some kind.

http://store.electrabike.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/CRUISER_KNOBBY_TIRE__Black__26_x_2_125_/i_0_0_/_688300.aspx

688300_LG.jpg

"A friend of mine suggested that the guy putting on the decals that day was probably stoned. :blink:"

I don't remember working at either place. ;)

Very nice cruiser. Appreciate the extra info posted too.

I don't remember working at either place. ;)

Then it must have been you installing the decals that day. :P

S&S also bent stuff for GT as well as Laguna as you mentioned. Very cool seeing the old pamphlets and articles. I will have to dig some of mine up and post! Thanks for putting that stuff up Ryan!

Simon

Very cool cruiser!

I'm not surprised you found an S&S Newport that got stickered as a Laguna, for a while S&S was manufacturing both companies frames. What's funny is, your bike is one of several I've seen that have S&S rear triangles welded to a Laguna front triangle. The S&S Newport originally had curved top, middle and down tubes. I believe when Laguna parted ways, S&S got stuck with some Laguna frame parts and just used em for their own frames. The first S&S frames even used Laguna rear dropouts flipped upside down(holes below the axle slots). Sometime in 1981 S&S came up with their own dropout design...it's shorter and the axle slot sits more horizontal.

Early S&S ad....May 1980

May1980-1.png

Even more clues that many companies frames were made by the same folks...here's the seldom seen Mega Cal Cruiser with an S&S Newport front triangle, Laguna chainstays looping up to S&S seat stays.

Untitled-1.jpg

Great bike, and great info in this thread!

Great pick up. And also very good info in this thread.

I will be building up a S&S at some point.