Sign in to follow this  
A_Falcs27

Scored me a loopy Ripper today

Picked this up locally this morning for a great price. Loaded up with some goodies. Looks to have been spray bombed black. Anyone have an idea on the year?

IMG_20130623_135542_950_zps29cf41ff.jpg

IMG_20130623_135607_202_zps54c9e79f.jpg

IMG_20130623_135622_104_zps58a74068.jpg

IMG_20130623_135631_017_zpsefa52794.jpg

IMG_20130623_135708_689_zps10bf9ac3.jpg

IMG_20130623_135716_477_zpsd0bfe06e.jpg

IMG_20130623_135746_123_zps322175c3.jpg

IMG_20130623_135751_955_zps801b5b58.jpg

IMG_20130623_135809_950_zpsfa759483.jpg

IMG_20130623_135828_549_zpsff7d0fd9.jpg

IMG_20130623_135847_618_zps5afa7656.jpg

Nice bike with some nice parts for sure!

Congrats,tidy pick up!

Nice find and that looks like the OG finish and decals.

It should polish up pretty clean with a little tlc. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

sweet

very nice. Those bars are killing me. so nice.

i agree. that is original finish

just clean it up. for very very faded/oxidized og paint I have had unreal succcess with mothers plastic polish on a rag and just hand buffing it. It will bring out a finish that you will not believe. (all of my og finish bikes have gotten this treatment.)

CL ? Yard sale ? ...... What's the story ?

One of the guys I work with was helping someone do a cleanout and came across it. He called me, I made an offer, the woman agreed to my offer, an hour later I had it in my truck.

Such a cool bike.

I'm not sure if you've seen what those bars have been bringing on Ebay lately, but I'd say those alone made it worth your while. :blink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-original-1970s-80s-Cook-Bros-handle-bars-Old-School-BMX-Freestyle-/370785774910

Those went super high due to the seller....I have seen a dirt skirt sell for $150+ that he listed months ago.

Great pickup Ant! Tear that baby apart and give it a good cleaning....also check in the BB and HT to see if it was a original black bike. I also think its original finish too! Mothers polish is great to use...just harsh enough to get the crud off and leaves a killer shine!

Such a cool bike.

I'm not sure if you've seen what those bars have been bringing on Ebay lately, but I'd say those alone made it worth your while. :blink:

http://www.ebay.com/...e-/370785774910

WOW!! I could have bought 3 Rippers for the price of those bars.

Great looking bike, with top end parts, nice work.

I'm not sure I'd go along with original finish. Maybe. Was black an option in the earlier PKs? 3X is a bit on the early side. I dunno. But, at least one decal is not OG. Without digging too much into stickering, that's not the original seat mast sticker, so, it's certainly possible it's been repainted.

For a 3X SN bike, the original sticker would have been the one on the bottom left. I've never seen a known OG finish 3X bike to have any other. In a PK restore, it's the most commonly overlooked detail. That top left 6061 Alloy sticker is a 4X and later sticker, and gets applied to 90% of the refinished PK's out there, so, it's a dead giveaway to a later PK or an earlier one that's been re-stickered.

PKSeatTubes.JPG?psid=1

Any advice on how to clean flat black finish? I've struggled with it for years.

Scott Bender

yes. Mecguiars PlastiX

Scott Bender

yes. Mecguiars PlastiX

I'll pick it up over the weekend and give it a shot.

Sweet - back stories always make for a better story line.

Nice pick up - I wouldn't do much to it - clean it up, change the seat clamp, add what's missing (brakes, grips) and that's about it ----- there's a bazillion resto'd PKs these days and to be honest I consider them pretty passé at this point - you're almost garaunteed seeing a picture perfect PK and mongoose motomag at every single event you go to, so much so, I don't even feel the need to own either anymore

It's actually refreshing to see one that hasn't been worked over or extra dolled up.

Not that it's likely, but if you have any trade needs and you end up wanting to swap out those bars, let me know.

Scott Bender

yes. Mecguiars PlastiX

I'll pick it up over the weekend and give it a shot.

I have done more then ten painted og finish frames with it so far. it works soo good. put it on like a car wax, let it dry, then buff the hell out of it with a rag. you will prob do all your frames with it after that.