Sign in to follow this  
Spur

BMX Society Bike Check #3 RadRoss

Everyone here knows mid-school is my era. The first mid-school bike check had to be Ross's Amtrac. This past years Society show Mid-school class nearly ended in a draw. This bike and Darren Chan's K-9 were so close that we nearly had two awards for mid-school. End the end it was given to Darren but this bike was on par with winning the class. The next best thing was to give it the privilege of being our sites first Mid-school Bike check. Shawn is no slouch, dude can assemble a mid-school rig and he definitely is a connoisseur of the era. Without question, this cat knows what's up. So without further ado, I present to you Shawn Ross, and his 1992 Robinson Amtrac. - Jake

Screen Name: RadRoss

Human Name: Shawn Ross, but all my friends call me Ross

Bike: 1992 Robinson Amtrac

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

Frameset

Frame: Robinson Amtrac

Fork: Robinson Chromoly

Steering

Handlebars: Robinson Pro

Stem: GT Pro

Grips: ODI Tech 7

Headset: GT UFO

IMG_0419.JPG

Drivetrain

Cranks: GT Power Series 185MM

Bottom Bracket: GT/Profile sealed

Sprocket: GT Power Series 43t

Pedals: GT Elite Big man

Chain: Sedisport

Brakes

Brake: Odyssey 2000 Rear Red

Lever: Dia Compe Tech 5 wrapped in red cloth tape

Brake Pads: Scott Mathauser

Cable: Tioga Durocable 2.0 mm

IMG_0432.JPG

Wheels/Tires

Rims: Sun Mistral Factory polished, re-polished by hand

Hubs: GT pro sealed

Cog/Freewheel: Shimano Chrome 16t

Spokes: Stainless with red/blue nips

Axles: factory

Tires: GT Megabite 2.0 front 1.75 rear

Seating

Seat: GT Power Series

Seat Post Clamp: GT Power Series double clamp

Seat Guts: stock

Miscellaneous

Pads: Dyno padset Red

Number Plate: Dyno D-force

Era Modifications: red clothtape wrap on lever, additionaltoe-in of the caliper

IMG_0433.JPG

Provenance: USMade @ 17800 Gothard Street Huntington Beach CA send 3 dollars and SASE… Sorry,couldn't resist! Frameset was found NOS at a shop in the UK, the orig. ownerbuilt it and rode it 3 times before parting it out. I am the Second owner.

Bike History orProject Background:

When I was first starting out as a BMX kid, a guy by thename of “T.K.” Kline, whom I looked up to like a big brother, owned “The Wilton Center Bicycle Shop” in Wilton CT (the shop has long since closed). I “worked”there on weekends, sweeping up and such in exchange for parts and knowledge. The Robinson Amtrac was my first custom build which I had slowly acquired piece-by-piece. T.K. worked out a deal with Robinson to get me the frameset and uniform on a co-factory special. Which boiled down to me getting an awesome set up at a discounted price in exchange for promoting the brand and sending in race results. About half way through the race season, I came home from a race with the bike on the rack. I had crashed earlier and went in the house just to get my leathers off. When I got back outside a few moments later, the bike had been stolen. I was crushed.

About 7 years ago, the stars aligned and I found this frameset on another forum. The orig. owner (who I can’t remember their name),found it NOS at a shop in the UK, built it, rode it about 3 times and had mentioned he wanted to start another project. PM’s were exchanged, paypal was sent and I waited in anticipation that everything was going to arrive and arrive safely. It did! The frameset was locked away in my vault, again, with me slowly gathering pieces. Questioning, do I want to duplicate my first bike, or did I want to go a different route? Time passed. I had a set of NOS chrome Araya 7x rims which now reside on NBL49a (Stephen’s) Kastan that were orig.planned for this build! Still time passed and more parts were gathered. At that point, I had the saddle, the grips, the pads, a front tire and the big man pedals. When faced with the question of cranks, this was the tipping point for the direction of the build. My orig. Amtrac had 180mm Redline flights with a Techmatic and a threaded spindle. This was the first batch of cranks to come out of Control Tech so the arms were the first “half wrap” arms but the new non threaded spindle wasn’t available. Do I try to hunt down that set up, I thought? Luckily, my bud HBoost (Joe) had the 185 GT’s for sale and that was my other choice. Direction for the rest of the build followed. As things started to really come together, I was itching to get this together for the Whittier Narrows Society show this year and it all came down to the wheel build. My friend Jeremy, at Team Bikes in Huntington Beach, put these together for me. As the time crunch came closer and closer I was biting my nails. Jeremy had repairs at the shop piling up and was building these in his spare time as a favor. Working on a concrete floor 12 plus hours a day in front of a repair stand isn’t good for your back and Jeremy had been battling this for over a month. With days taken off to recover and the busy season at the shop was in full swing, I thought I’d have to hold off till next year to show it in person. The excitement of having the bike I envisioned in my head was now so close, and got me so pumped. Jeremy went out of his way to finish the wheel build late Thursday night, 2 days before the show. With all the parts now together, it was time to build. I finished everything up the night before the show, after the ride. And that’s most of the story up to this point. After driving Jeremy crazy, all the enthusiasm (for lack of a better word!) that my girlfriend Brittany had to put up with, and a build that is greater than the sum of its parts to me, my Amtrac is in the stable, where it will stay as the unicorn to my collection.

I can’t begin to thank all that made this happen. I have to thank my girlfriend Brittany, who understands what collecting and riding mean to me. A huge thanks to Spur, S.Brothers, Larock and the Society staff. Big ups to my BMX Brother from another mother Buddahtat2, Oscar and all the San Diego Black Widows. Shout to the Outsiders in San Diego! A huge thanks to NBL49a Stephen for making it fun and challenging year after year!

I am honored to be considered for Mid School bike of theyear this year, at the show. I want to again, congratulate Darren "DCBMX1" Chanwith his historical and over the top rad S&M K9 D-zine. ( and thanks forletting me take a spin on it!)

Finally, if anyone knows T.K. Kline and can help mere-connect, it would mean so much to me.

race_pic1.jpg

race_pic2.jpg

robi_cut.jpg

robi_ID.jpg

This is outstanding. :rockout:

Love the "R" doo... that is core!

Pictures really don't do it justice. It looks so good in person that I wish I could afford to send a professional photographer out to take shots of it. But I have to mention one of my favorite parts of this bike is the use of the GT UFO headset. No one ever uses them but should. Ross also had one on Chuck T's personal Amtrac frames on display with this bike at the Society event. Pretty cool.

This bike is so cool for so many different reasons. Excellent job, Ross. Your knowledge shows with this cohesive build. It is exactly what a person sponsored by Robinson would have ridden. It is such a tight build that it reminds me of a box stock team bike. Was the Amtrac ever offered as a complete? If it wasn't, this is what it would probably look like. Such a nice build and a cool story. Props.

Great stuff Shawn!

You definitely know how to do a mid school proper! OSThumbsUpPeace[1].gif

great bike and story. Nice.

Nicely done mi amigo!! It was great to see you had finished it for the show. I know we have talked about this build over the years and to see it come to fruition is awesome!

That's rad Ross (sorry, couldn't resist).

nice bike. the og pics are rad!!

Love the details like the alternating color nipples. I dig the sprocket to. Nice Job!

Bender

I'm actually a real life railroad engineer with BNSF and from time to time we have to pilot(guide) Amtrak over our territory when they are rerouted.

Edited by BenderOG

Nice build. It's that type of effort that keeps the hobby going.

I lived in Brookfield CT for a couple years and raced at the. Wilton track. Quite a few years before that machine was on the track though!

Ross it's great to see you can finally complete a build without using a numberpkate that came from my collection. It has been a while but I knew you could do it.

Sign in to follow this