Sign in to follow this  
ratrodbikes

A MOTO-BIKE WITH HISTORY

Back in December a local gentleman contacted me and asked if I was interested in his original Yamaha Moto-Bike that he had purchased new back in 1976. I asked him to send photos and his asking price and a few days later he sent pics. I could tell it was a nice bike in the photos and asked what his price was. He wasn't sure at the time what he wanted and after a few emails back and forth and the holidays, the deal sort of faded away.

Yesterday I was taking the family out for dinner and I receive an email from the seller telling me that he still has the bike and is interested in selling it because he's cleaning out the garage and is ready for the bike to be gone. This time I get his number and call and we scheduled a time for me to come over and check it out today.

Turns out that the person selling the bike bought it for his son back in 1976 and he had carried it all over the U.S. over the past 37 years, moving from place to place with his work. His son had no interest in the bike anymore and told his 73 year old Father to sell it off. Amazingly enough, he still had all of the original paperwork that came with the bike....even the business cards from the salesman that they bought it from at Highland's Yamaha in La Grange, Illinois. The bike sold for $119.00 back then.

Sometime not too long ago the gentleman had taken the bike to a bike shop and they put some Maxxis tires on the bike and gave it a cleaning. Unfortunately he didn't end up with the original tires after the service was done.

I got the bike home this afternoon and gave it a quick wash and threw these tires that I had hanging on the wall. I also ended up putting an NOS yellow Hunt Wilde number plate on that I had.

The only thing the bike is missing is a front wheel reflector and one of the axle tension screws.

Here are the shots of the paperwork included with the bike.

DSC_0221a.jpg

DSC_0219a.jpg

DSC_0223a.jpg

DSC_0224a.jpg

DSC_0225a.jpg

DSC_0227a.jpg

DSC_0233a.jpg

DSC_0235a.jpg

DSC_0240a.jpg

DSC_0236a.jpg

DSC_0237a.jpg

DSC_0238a.jpg

That's REALLY nice!

The thing about the 1976 C model Moto Bikes is it had the most changes made to it. One of those changes for '76 was the tires. The '74 A & '75 B models came with a diamond patterned tractor grip tire. The '76 C model came with the same size tire (20 x 2.125) but with a proper BMX tread pattern. I don't know the brand they were and as far as I've seen the tires used on the Yamaha bikes had no brand labels on them. But they were more or less a Japanese copy of the Goodyear eagle tread pattern. I'm sure you know the style I am talking about. I did manage to find a pic of the style of tire I am referring to. smile.gif

MotoBikeRear.jpg

These will say 20 x 2.125 on them but once mounted will look to be on the small side. But the look is correct.

Hope this helps.

Damn Steve, thats a beauty! I would love to find one in that shape! :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Thanks Sod.

I did notice after looking at the test photos that Rick Twomey posted on his Facebook page recently that the tires were like you suggested.

Just need to keep my eyes pealed for a set that doesn't break the bank.

dbi4.jpg

bjza.jpg

8zhh.jpg

I knew the guys at Highlands Yamaha well. I lived about a mile away from 1982-89 and worked directly across the street at a small engine repair shop. They were tight with my boss who was a snowmobiler.

I remember having to dart our forklift across the street through traffic, for them to borrow!!

Up till a couple years ago 1 of the owners (Gary) had a bunch of his old scrambler & flat tracker race bikes on display...along with his used and also an NOS Motobike. Cool guys 4 sure!

That's pretty awesome Greg.

I kind of wondered if someone would end up having a connection with the folks at that shop.

The guy that I bought the bike from said that he had considered contacting the Yamaha shop to see if the salesman he had used was still there.

The bike has a Naperville bike license on the seat tube.

As I remember, Gary and his brother Terry owned the shop with a guy named John as a minor partner. I believe Gary sold his interest in or retired in the early 2000's.

They had also moved the shop about 3 miles from the old shop in the late 90's, I think it is now in Countryside Il..

Edited by GREG_HANNA

That thing looks exactly like the one my dad brought home for me from the Yamaha Shop one birthday long ago! Amazingly intact. I think I have one of those manuals laying around. Awesome find. Don't paint it.

Very nice, the supporting documents also cool and priceless.

Very nice. I have never seen that stitched seat before. Great score.