Sign in to follow this  
TONEDOG

REDLINE PROLINE W/COOKS BROS.LIKE GUSSETS UPDATE-IT"S GETTING VERY INTERESTING!!!

This just came into the warehouse.I had to share this one.It looks like a Redline Proline w/5" head tube,but with a Cook bros. frame gusset.Anyone know what this is?

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

Very Pandaesque gusset, drop outs look wierd though.

RED LINE PROLINE PROTOYPE???That's what I'm starting to think too!Crazy!!!

And I thought that I have seen everything in old school bmx.

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

WoW ! That is an odd one. Looks cool though.

I've been doing some research,if this is a Redline Proline it is a 1977.In 1977 some of the first ones made did not have any gusset at all.But they had issues with the bottom tube cracking by the headset,so they started adding the traditional redline gusset.This frame is identical to the 1977 redline no gusset frames.I wonder,if they made this frame and decided that the double frame gusset looks too much like Cooks bros and scrapped the whole double gusset idea.

one other detail-the top tube measures 20 inches.

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00043.JPG

interesting and rad one for sure.  :ThumbsUp:

i could be wrong but i think it's a stretch saying it's redline prototype.   my guess is someone was fooling around in one of the shops.  

mr. kastan would have to answer that.

I'm not sure if this was the result of someone fooling around in a shop somewhere.The welds are high quality welds and they match the rest of the frame welds.If it was someone who just welded gussets on this frame that would mean that it was originally a Redline Proline without any gussets serial# 5587 PL .That would still make it ultra rare.

I'm going to try to contact Lynn Kastan on this one.

There are earlier Redline Squarebacks with a double gusset that do exist.I came across them doing google searches trying to figure this one out.

From Linn Kastan:

"Hi John:

Good to hear from you. No, that is not anything that we ever made. I have no idea what it is.

Linn"

Notwithstanding what Mr. Kastin states (which sounds pretty final) I do find it interesting that it appears your frame has many early proline like details (chain stays, downtube, head tube cup reinforcement, I trust it is a 5 inch?).

I think it would be interesting to compare a 77 or 8 proline side by side with your frame to see how close (or not) they actully are.

A question that I do not know, is the serial number stamp similar to how Redline did it? (same font, layout, location) that might be an important clue.

Furthermore, I agree that the front gusset does have a certain Panda style to it. Perhaps an early Redline modified by or ?

Interesting in any case.

Most later Pandas gussets were not completely flat like that, but I have encountered a fair share of early ones that are VERY similar to what we have here. Since I don't have one in my stable to compare it to, who does? Truly Odd or Greyboy, Darren Chan? Maybe someone should bring this frame to Carlos' attention.

Drew

:13:

I've been in contact with Linn Kastan.He said that someone had sent him a picture of this frame,but only the head tube area picture.I sent him pictures of every area of this frame and pictures of the serial # 5587 PL

He is saying that it does look like a very early Redline Proline and the serial # is genuine font and all.He is saying that this frame was sold to BMX PRODUCTS(MONGOOSE) 37 YEARS AGO TOMORROW!!!!!!!He sent me a copy of the Redline Proline frame log.

So,did mongoose add the double gusset???I'm going to ask him more about that in my next email.I've attached his emails.If they don't come out clear,I'll figure out how to post them better later.

DSC00268.JPG

DSC00269.JPG

DSC00270.JPG

DSC00267.JPG

DSC00267.JPG

that is interesting

This turning out to be a cool story for sure.

Most later Pandas gussets were not completely flat like that, but I have encountered a fair share of early ones that are VERY similar to what we have here. Since I don't have one in my stable to compare it to, who does? Truly Odd or Greyboy, Darren Chan? Maybe someone should bring this frame to Carlos' attention.

Drew

:13:

I don't have any with the flat gusset like this.

I love it. So great when early Frankenstein stuff surfaces.

Thanks for posting that. It is really cool that Linn kept all that info and could verify the provenance of the frame for you.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Hell yea, cool seein' stuff like this and that linn nailed it down.

I know that Linn and Jim Melton kept meticulous records of where their OG frames went, but did anyone else keep those kinds of records? Maybe this is for another thread... didn't mean to hijack.

RV 

bmxmtb