Sign in to follow this  
Spur

BMX Society Bike Check #11- freestyl

This one is such a dope unveiling, it was hard keeping it under wraps.  I didn't even tell Mr. Brothers about the contents.  I had to duct tape the shell of the almighty BMX Society.com server because this one has the potential to blow it off.  On a whim, I asked Woody if he would mind participating in this and he responded that he was game.  He was waiting on some tires to finish a particular project and asked it if it was ok to wait until it was finished.  I was like, um The Society waits for no one and told him to forget it...psyyyyyyche, just kidding.  I was actually pretty stoked that he wanted to unveil a project here and I had no idea that it was going to be this huge.  Woody was more than gracious and patient to wait his turn in line (everyone has been and I appreciate that).  I really appreciate the time, great detail and great pictures he put into this.  He got what I was after and he nailed it.  So with that, I'll shut my pie hole and let you get on to gawking at this.  Ladies and germs, here is the Woody Itson BMX Society Bike Check.-Jake

BMX Society Bike Check

Screen Name:  freestyl

Human Name:  Woody Itson

Bike: VDC Freestyle Prototype

DSC_0002.JPG

Frameset

DSC_0006.JPG

Frame:  VDC Freestyle Prototype

Fork:  VDC standard issue

Steering

DSC_00035.JPG

Handlebars:  VDC Woody Itson 1st generation with the higher crossbar

Stem:  Pro Neck

Grips:  AME Fini

Headset:  Campy aluminum with SST Dirt Skirt

Headset/Stem Lock:  N/A

Stem Stiffener:  N/A

Drivetrain

DSC_0005.JPG

Cranks:  Redline Flight Cranks, 170mm

Bottom Bracket:  Hadley

Sprocket:  Redline, 40 tooth

Spider/Disc:  N/A

Pedals:  Shimano DX

Chain:  Izumi 1/8 (for coaster brake)

Brakes

DSC_00023.JPG

Brake:  Dia Compe MX 1000’s

Coaster:  Bendix

Lever:  Shimano DX

Brake Pads  Cool Stop Continental

Cables:  Dia Compe 1983 date code

Cable Hangers:  Zip Ties

Wheels/Tires

Rims:  Ukai 36 hole

Hubs:  Bullseye Front, Bendix Coaster Brake Rear

Cog/Freewheel:  16th, Bendix

Spokes:  Stainless

Axles:  Stock, Bullseye/Bendix

Tires:  Cyclepro Snake Belly, 20x2.125 front, 20x1.75 rear

Hardware:  DC two piece seat post clamp used for coaster brake hanger

Seating

DSC_0008.JPG

Seat:  Elina

Seat Post Clamp:  Suntour

Seat Guts:  Stock Elina

Miscellaneous

Pads: N/A

Number Plate:  Resides with Brian & Renee Scura

Pegs/Frame-Fork standers:  N/A during this time frame

Bash Guard:  A what?

Rotor/Gyro:  Whats a gyro, it’s 1983?

Drop out Savers:  N/A

Chain Tensioners:  Drive side only to keep the wheel straight.  The coaster brake hanger on the other side keeps everything from moving forward.

Misc:  I got the cranks from Lynn Kastan BITD, he hooked me up with a couple of sets of 170’s in the early 80’s.  The command post is one I’ve had forever and the DX pedals I’ve also had and some how never used since the 80’s. 

Era Modifications:

DSC_0004.JPG

I always bent my coaster brake arm to line up directly below the chain stay, so when you hit the brake, the pressure went straight up towards the chain stay instead of out to the side.  I would weld the rear sprocket to the driver as well.  I also used a two piece seat post clamp with some shims to hold the arm in place.  Regular coaster brake straps would break or bend in just a few minutes.   This gave you a much better feel for braking and eliminated almost all the play for roll back and kick turn ramp tricks.  This was before Rotors, Gyros, or pegs, so you had to be creative.

Provenance:

This frame was made custom for me by Voris Dixon back in 1983.  Shortly after the Vans summer tour in 83 I got a call to ride for Hutch.  I told Hutch I had a signed deal with Voris, but told him I would talk to Voris about the offer and see what comes of it.  After I told Voris about the offer Hutch made me, he told me to take the deal and let me out of my contract.  Right after I got my Hutch Pro Racer, I took this frame & fork apart and gave it back to Voris in person.  I told him I didn’t feel right about keeping it and that maybe somebody else could do a good job riding for VDC.   After that, as far as I know it went from Voris to my old Bassett team mate, John Severin.  I heard John sold it to Brett (3rd Gear) in Georgia and Brett sold it to Ray (Flanelcamel) in Oregon.  Ray has had it for the past 10 years or so.  He had quite a few offers to buy it over the years, but never sold it.  One day he sent me an email, saying if he ever decided to sell it, he would like it to end up with either me or Voris.  This month marks my 50th birthday.  It’s been almost exactly 30 years since I’ve owned this bike, so this was a present to myself.  Who knew?

Bike History or Project Background:

I did a test for Super BMX on the Changa Long in 1983 and the article was pretty well received.  Voris got quite a few orders after that article came out and we ended up talking soon after about me riding his frame and fork.  He asked me what I would change on the bike to make it better for myself.  The Changa Long rode really nice when I did the test for the magazine, but I told Voris I had a history of crushing rear drop outs on frames because of over tightening my axel nuts trying to keep my rear wheel in place.  I also told him it would be nice to have some room back there for my feet to move around in between the chain and seat stays.  So he showed me the campy rear drop outs he had and I thought, wow that would do the trick for both issues I was having.  So he built me up a Changa Long with the special campy rear end on it and there you have it.  I didn’t crush the rear dropouts any more, but I busted more than a few headsets.  I flared the head tube a bit which was a bummer.  Voris had figured out how to fix the problem by adding rings around the top and bottom of the head tube to make it more durable.  After John Severin acquired the frame from Voris he added the rings to the headtube to fix that issue on this frame.  At some point during that process, around 2002 the frame was refinished by John and I’m assuming the fork was as well.  Ray told me he got the bars from Billy Griggs and I was the person who gave them to Billy in the first place, so I’m stoked to have them back.

I actually found some pics of me riding this bike at Brian Scuras wedding.  Me and Martin did a show for everyone.  Along with all the normal guests, in attendance was Stu T, Greg H, and Billy G.  After the show, me and Martin took our plates off our bikes and wrote a little something to Brian and Renee and gave them the plates.  Brian told me he still has those plates to this day.  He offered to loan it to me for this article, but I told him just to hang onto it.  I’m just happy he kept it all these years and it still means something to him. 

As for the finishes, the frame, fork, and bars were refinished around 2002.  The crank arms were refinished by me around 2007.  Everything else is original finish.  The grips, levers, rims, tires, chain, brake pads, pedals, and DC clamp were all NOS items.

I figure people would expect me to use one of my Hutch’s for this bike check, but the VDC project seemed kind of timely and just fell into place.  Thank you again Voris for everything.  I would also like to say thank Jeff Haney & Pat for some of the tougher to find parts I needed to complete my project, and of course Ray.  By the time you all read this I will have officially entered the golden years.

Old Plate Photo.jpg

Brian Scura's Wedding.jpg

photo.JPG

Wow.  So many cool things to comment on in this one.  That rear end is wild.  An innovation that never caught on?  Seems like future freestyle bikes would have benefitted from a set up like that.  Or is it that once pegs caught on, this pretty much became unnecessary? 

I love the shape of the VDC Itson bars.  Star Bars/GHP bars as well... dig that squared-off look.

I think it's great you were able to track down the frame and other parts that made their way full circle back to you. 

Stellar project as always Woody. 

This is an amazing project, and a connoisseur's piece for sure, with the perfect rendering of all Woody's back in the day modifications.

great story.   :nah.I.mean:

Amazing bike and story!

Thanks for sharing Woody!

Love the blue rims, tires, plate, and seat clamp modification.  What a great bike and story to go with it. 

Happy Birthday!  It's cool you hung on to that bike for so long, I can't think of a better present.  :rockout:

I love everything about it.What a fantastic story to go along with it.

Outstanding. Great write up too.

HOLY COW Woody!!! Nice job and KILLER story. Thanks!!

Incredible!!!  :Want: So cool that you got it back and buuilt it up the way it was too. Awesome!

Absolutely out of this world. The bike and the story behind it doesn't get much better than that.

A kind of cool side story. The 2010 Society show Voris was hanging out with my wife and I for a little bit and I showed him my Menstrual Cycle. He said I wonder where they got that idea from while pointing at the headtube juncture.

Great article Woody.  And your welcome although it is I you should thank you for being a great representative of the sport back in the day.  A real stand up guy!.  Thank you

Sign in to follow this