Sign in to follow this  
bloud

Still keeping my eyes and ears open for scores like this

I haven't had much time for forum posting etc. for the past year or so, but I still keep my eyes and ears open for the good stuff. I recently picked up this lot which had been sitting dormant in someones attic since 1979. It's all either NOS/NIB or never ridden and in time-capsule condition. Feels good to know this stuff is still out there to be discovered.

parts-lot-1.png

nice little come up   :cool:

I've been looking for some tires like those if you want to unload them, let me know.

nice little come up   :cool:

I've been looking for some tires like those if you want to unload them, let me know.

I'm going to have to hang onto those for a while. I've never seen in-person, let alone possessed a pair of these and likely never will again. I have several early Comp II yellow's with script writing but they're small blocks. Not sure the wife will see them as works of art on the wall, but I wouldn't mind displaying them for a while.  :wink:

ha! Yeah... don't blame you.

Cool stuff, the tires of course, but those cranks look like anodized versions of Sugino Mighty Tour road crank. Which was a Dura Ace equal in strength (unlike the rubber band like Super Maxy cranks) and not that common in silver (on a bmx bike) let alone blue.

Cool stuff, the tires of course, but those cranks look like anodized versions of Sugino Mighty Tour road crank. Which was a Dura Ace equal in strength (unlike the rubber band like Super Maxy cranks) and not that common in silver (on a bmx bike) let alone blue.

Curt, you know your Japanese stuff! I didn't think anyone would notice and/or care about what those cranks actually are. I on the other hand am aware of how rare they are. I've searched for years for Mighty Tours in 171/75 and found only 3 sets all this time and only one anodized in color (red).

In short, they are in-fact original blue anodized Sugino Mighty Tours in 171/75. There is some moisture damage to the ano, but still, original finish and never ridden. They are also only meant for a single chainring. So either track or BMX was the intended purpose. The Japanese were just getting into BMX in 1978, so I'm sure there were numerous cross over parts.

Another interesting thing I noticed tonight is the dia-compe brake cables have no dating on them. Perhaps they didn't do this in 78/79? The brakes are complete, even have the plastic cable clamps...

I ran Mighty Tour and Super Mighty cranks in 78-9. They were rare then, not to mention now. Where is Rick G to chime in?

I think your hubs are first gen Sunshine (Cook Bros knock off) and not high quality, no offense intended.

As for the brakes you are likely right on.

I would date all stuff in image as late 78 to early 79.

The sunshine sealed hubs are 2nd or 3rd gen depends on the logo, engraved is 2nd gen silk screened is 3rd. 1st gen sunshine hubs were through axle.

Really nice score, congrats!

If you do decide to part with a big lock comp II, please keep me in mind. I recently bought a '79 DG Californiq pro and could use one of them to make it right.

Fantastic score!

The sunshine sealed hubs are 2nd or 3rd gen depends on the logo, engraved is 2nd gen silk screened is 3rd. 1st gen sunshine hubs were through axle.

Really nice score, congrats!

Thanks. They are engraved, and would have been purchased in 79. I've never had much interest in these, but they are quite nice. I think the intention back in the day was to replace the through axles on the Ukai's with these hubs and the spokes you see. There's also a pack of six replacement sealed bearing axles etc.

You cant go wrong with finds like that