Sign in to follow this  
relentlessmx

The 'STR-1' Info thread

Can someone give a definitive answer to exactly what constitutes a looptail quad to be labelled as a STR-1?

My understanding all these years was the twin downtubes went under the BB as one piece and continued through the loop and to the seat stays. Also that these are quite rare (under 10?)

Lately, people have been posting up bikes (not here, but the opposite 'circus' side of bmx forums) and claim them to be STR1's when clearly the tubes do not go under the BB shell. The belief is that if it is a 'mild steel' quad...it is a STR-1.

These fucktards will take it to their grave that they own a STR-1, when they do not. I mean, there are a couple nice examples of early SE goodness, but the frames aren't what they think they are.

STR 1, Quadangle history

You're confusing the prototype with the STR-1. There were supposedly 6 prototypes made. 1 is known to exist. The prototype (only), had the tubes under the BB. It was near impossible to make, so, they changed it a bit. The STR-1 was the production model, that didn't have that feature. As noted, likely mild steel.

So, STR-1 bikes do exist. They were named that before Stu went to Redline forcing the rename to the Quadangle. Folks rightly could go to their graves thinking it. It's quite possible.

So, seems you owe some guys an apology.

I think the site membership levels give access to the U of BMX site section, which has a ton more info on it.

Yep, what Mark said. The STR-1 was exactly that, a replica of what Stu rode. Dealer price lists and other stuff from the era list the frame without the BB loop  as an STR-1.

Don't forget the first batch of frames contracted to the rv builder that were refused by Scott. All mild steel. The build quality sucked and they were not square. The serial #'s were on the b.b.  I had one of these frames at one point....

So I must be a fucktard with my STR-1? I have owned four of them like this.

Check yourself.

Do more research before you spout off.

79 STRs All mild steel with serial numbers lower than 200

DEC_8587.JPG

DEC_3392.JPG

DEC_5759.JPG

What Mark Mc and Reilly 1 said and to add:

I purchased (and still own) one of those first batch frames. No question the frame was an STR-1 as Stu was still on SE.

It was after Stu went to Redline the name changed and then the first gen Star wars type Quad graphic frame pad (on black vinyl) was released. I had one (which went missing when the bike loaned to a friend at the time). Prior to that I had a home made frame pad.

Or I am one of those f-tards.

I wonder what happened to mine?  

Larock, if having your frame makes you an f-tard take it as a compliment.

I think I have said so before but worth repeating, that blue STR-1 is first class!

Well, I guess I was one of the fucktards as well. When I claimed mine to be an STR-1 many years ago, I was flamed for it because it didn't have the tubes under the BB. MIne (sold now) had 2 sets of numbers stamped into the bb shell. No, I didn't object to anyones stance that their bikes were or were not a genuine STR, I guess I was given false info in this arguement a long time ago and dropped it back then.

I am an idiot as I took a perfect loop quad and powdered it black (it was several colors at the time couldn't tell what the OG color was, but still.....) This was back in '96, I bought a NOS Landing Gear fork for it and powdered it too not realizing the Cycle Pro was probably more correct. I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, which is why I never engaged anyone otherwise....just remembered being beat up for claiming I had one all those years ago. When I sold it (2000?), It was a F/F set in gloss black....anyone here grab it?

Was just waiting for all you fucktards to weigh in with your STR-1s.

No harm done Relentless. Sometimes (and in my case often) we are all fucktards..

Man those are some great examples guys.  I remember these bikes being the ultimate in cool back in the early 80's.  Every fucktard and his cousin wanted to own one.  :ROTFLMAO:

i'm glad all you guys recognize it.  :wink:

Just a few pics of my mild steel STR that left SE as a "Quad".

THe OM was really pissed at Chandler when I asked why my Quad weighed so much more than the what was printed in BMXA.

It wasn't really supposed to go out, and he offered me a trade on the spot for a real Chro-mo vs. my mild steel frame.

STRs were sometimes shipped out as Quads, but they were just mild steel.

Andy 001.jpg

se3.jpg

bmxandy 001.jpg

Well, I guess I was one of the fucktards as well. When I claimed mine to be an STR-1 many years ago, I was flamed for it because it didn't have the tubes under the BB. MIne (sold now) had 2 sets of numbers stamped into the bb shell. No, I didn't object to anyones stance that their bikes were or were not a genuine STR, I guess I was given false info in this arguement a long time ago and dropped it back then.

I am an idiot as I took a perfect loop quad and powdered it black (it was several colors at the time couldn't tell what the OG color was, but still.....) This was back in '96, I bought a NOS Landing Gear fork for it and powdered it too not realizing the Cycle Pro was probably more correct. I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, which is why I never engaged anyone otherwise....just remembered being beat up for claiming I had one all those years ago. When I sold it (2000?), It was a F/F set in gloss black....anyone here grab it?

I can recall the whole debate swirling around the STR-1 back around 2000. As it turned out it was only because any info on them just was not out there yet. Scot was still in stir at that point and could not chime in on things. The collector community in general was for the most part ignorant as to the nuances of STR-1/ Quad development and production. There was allot of bad info floating around.

At that time the general knowledge was that only the prototypes were STR-1's and all others were Quadangles. But through many dedicated (read obsessive) SE racing fans the truth about these frames found it's way back to the light of day. At least that's how I remember it.  :)     

And yes William you are a fucktard. But one of my favorite all time fucktards. Me on the other hand am more of a cock knuckle.   :cheers:

Mine had no serial by the way, as the OM checked it BITD and told me then it was a "prototype".

(In my mind now, an STR.)

And he was adamant wanting to know who I got it from.

When I said local bike shop, he figured it went out by some kind of mistake.

I know it's going to take a lot of work, but someday I hope to be a fucktard like you fucktards :Power.Grin:

And those are some beautiful bikes my friends!

"BMXFUCKTARD Society" ??

For some reason the cheesy 70s  Dr Pepper song is in my head now.."Wouldn't you like to be a Fucktard too?"

Where did I leave my bellbottoms?

dr_pepper_david_naughton_ad_70s.jpg

"BMXFUCKTARD Society" ??

Yeah! Then we could start having Build Offs...

:)