Sign in to follow this  
nycet3

1976/77 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Anyone feel like posting a picture of theirs? Thanks. I'm talking about the full chromoly diamond frame with no front gusset. I'm really intrigued by these frames. I think I want to find/build one up.

Those are cool, Steve, thanks. I'm looking for the full chromoly/no front gusset frame. Has the thick Shimano drops. Should have been more clear in my description.

I think I have one of those full cro-mo frames tucked away at home. When I get back there today I'll drag it out and take some pics. I'm not sure what year it is though. I'll work out the date it when I get it pulled out.

Thanks, everyone.

joe, that's awesome!

joe, use an outside link. 

yeah, just like you used an outside link on to pics on the Museum... works exactly the same here.

Awesome. Thanks.

I must have one.

I looked at that frame I have and it turns out to be  78 comp Scrambler frame with the gusset. Not quite what you wanted to see so I didn't bother taking pictures of it.

From the catalogs I have seen.  The non-guesset Competition Scrambler was only available in 77.  I actually have one in my stash of bike stuff.  I rediscovered it after going through all my stuff that is in storage.  Will get some pics soon. 

But here is the weird part Jeff I have that same catalog but I also have this frame that is a 1978 by it's serial #. have a look. Notice the welds. Only the Cro-mo frames were welded together like this at schwinn. A standard Schwinn frame was electrostatic welded or by some other similar industrial process.

1a (1024x488).jpg

2a (1024x683).jpg

3a (1024x684).jpg

4a (1024x684).jpg

5a (1024x683).jpg

6a (1024x684).jpg

7a (1024x663).jpg

I changed my mind and took pics anyway.  :wink:

Sod, that's pretty cool and strange.

Thanks for posting everything, guys.

Really cool frames.

Here is my 76. It has Campy or Shimano Drop-outs not sure. I'm still trying to get my first gen. Speedos back. I bought this bike about 6 years ago. It was in pieces. I had the frame, seat post,seat, and cranks and wheels. The rest was parted out by someone else. I have been searching for the original parts to build it as pictured. I actually found all the parts from the bike by doing some detective work. All I need are the forks. Hope you dig it.

schwinn1976TeamSchwinn_zps61f84434.jpg

feb38.jpg

feb39.jpg

feb40.jpg

feb41.jpg

feb37.jpg

feb36.jpg

This is just one of my favorite pictures.
greensting_zpsac0885d5.jpg

Edited by Joe Buffardi

Those are cool, Steve, thanks. I'm looking for the full chromoly/no front gusset frame. Has the thick Shimano drops. Should have been more clear in my description.

yes I new that joe. you just gave me a reason to post some bikes....

I don't judge you, Steve, buddy. Every bike guy likes to post his bikes. It's innate.

Joe, that's a badass. Again, I've just begun to scratch the surface on these frames, but I think they had Shimano dropouts. I could easily be missing something.

So, the frame for the complete had chainguard tabs, but the other frame you could get seperate didn't have any?

I think Schwinn used that catalog image for a few years in a row. I also think the chain guard tabs came in along with the gusset, at least for 1978 anyway. It is hard to tell by that pic of the complete that Rick posted. I have not been able to locate the thread that Ken Pliska started a few years ago on these frames. Lots of good info and development background in it and some pics of a prototype frame as well. He either posted it here or over on VintageBMX. But I have not been able to find it yet. A little help?  

Here is my NOS 77 Comp. Scrambler that I compared my 76 with.

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

IMG_9334.jpg

In this picture I was comparing frame geometry with a neat Titanium frame I found. Looks like Schwinn geometry to me.
IMG_9333.jpg

Here is a link to the scrambler thread I was thinking of. It was over on VintageBMX. Unfortunately many of the pictures have been lost. Though I found some info to be a bit off, it has some good stuff in it none the less. http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27020611&hl=schwinn%20scrambler

Joe, Pat, Sod.  here's a twist.  Dug up mine.  No serial # on the headbadtube but the headbadge ID shows it as a DEC 75 assembly date. . It has definite real track dropouts (Shimano I believe --to undefined to be Campy) but it has chainguard tabs brazed to the drop outs. 

Lenny 010.jpg