Sign in to follow this  
nycet3

1976/77 Schwinn Competition Scrambler

Sod isn't that ax SX 1000? I will take a picture of my blue Competition Scrambler when I get a chance.

Sod isn't that ax SX 1000? I will take a picture of my blue Competition Scrambler when I get a chance.

Not sure on this one. No frame decals on the top tube to help ID it. It is full cro-mo and has the large diamiter seat tube. The rear chain guard tab is welded to the rear drop out. And the drop outs themselves look to be the Shimano type but have no markings to indicate what they are. but upon further study I believe you are correct sir. 

I have a few of each. If you need or want SX 1000 decals send me your address. I have red and black if you want them. No charge. Anyone here I will do the same. Years of Schwinning I have accumulated quite a few. Pretty sure I have some Competition Scrambler decals also. Let me know.?

PS How is Mrs Sod? Gardens good?

Here are a couple quick pictures. Blue one is my Competition Scrambler. I have different wheels on it now. Red one is my SX-1000 as I got it. Complete minus the rear wheel. The black and white shot is my black SX-1000 in around 79/80. I still have the helmet but not the hairdo...

PC070006 (2).JPG

scramblercompetition (1).JPG

1980b (2).jpg

I have a few of each. If you need or want SX 1000 decals send me your address. I have red and black if you want them. No charge. Anyone here I will do the same. Years of Schwinning I have accumulated quite a few. Pretty sure I have some Competition Scrambler decals also. Let me know.?

PS How is Mrs Sod? Gardens good?

Thanks for the offer but this frame may end up on the block. I'm sure if I looked I might have some Comp Scrambler decals as well. I know I have them for the "sting ray" framed models.

The wife's gardens are going off right now! She is in the process getting things straitened out in all the beds around the house after the house painters got through with their work. stuff got trampled but we expected it. she also put in a vegetable garden.

here's mine S/N CN808581 as found

schwinncomp.JPG

scsdropout.JPG

Same blue as mine. What fork is that? You want decals for that? PM me your address I will send you some. How are you doing?

hey Pat, ALL is well !! I'm leaving it as found. don't know about the fork but it is a high quality piece.

Growing up, my buddy had one of those Scramblers in brown with the yellow 10(?) spoke mags on it.  Pretty heavy, but a nice looking bike that was indestructible.

Wouldn't mind finding one of those these days.

Coming in late on this:

1976 was first year for the Competition Scrambler. It was made in the Paramount building, also known as the Dungeon. This building was where they hand built the high end track Paramounts, do highly sought after now. The Comp Scrambler was chromoly, hand brazed, hand made. They used Shimano extra thick track drop outs reversed for BMX use. Schwinn also used the seat post tubing from the Paramounts whick requires a 26.8mm seat post, and matching clamp. Very steep head tube angle and laid back seat post tube. There are not to many of these, when parents went to buy a Schwinn BMX, this bike was considerably more than the Stingray and the Mag or 36/36 Scramblers. In 76 they were available as completes in Sky Blue, Flamboyant Red, silver mist, and an upgrade to chrome. Completes had chain guard mounts, frame only's had no chain guard mounts, like my survivor 76. Frame only's were available in the standard above mentioned colors and chrome, as well as black and candy green, also believe yellow. I've never seen a black, there are two green survivors in the BMX Museum, and I believe there is a yellow in Joe Buffardi's picture he posted earlier in the thread. I just saw my first chrome posted in the museum this year, December 2014. Schwinn made this bike for 76 and 77, in 78 they offered the SX1000 Comp Scrambler(with gusset), and the standard Comp Scramber(no gusset), in 79 the original no gusset Comp Scrambler was dropped as a complete, but still could be ordered as a frame only. One of my favorite early BMX bikes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by brunson67

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by brunson67

1979 Team frame Comp Scrambler

image.jpg

More ads

image.jpg

image.jpg

Candy Green survivor

image.jpg

Funny, there's another thread going on, is a Stingray a BMX? (Of course) look at the 1978 Stingray factory BM. Looks like what the first BMX bikes looked like.

image.jpg

• Like 1

In my experience the 76 was the only year Schwinn offered the Shimano dropouts, or at least stamped them1512458_938322179521159_5893874187468896

Glad I started this thread. You guys have posted some killer stuff.

Wanted to give the thread a bump. Some of you may have already seen this on the museum. I recently finished this 77

20160203_195117_zpsfnf1mhde.jpg20160203_195102_zpsglo9lczg.jpg

Edited by RAYSIN
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, turdburd said:

Picked up this '77 frame recently. 

20210423_135837.jpg

I like that, nice clean example if that's all og...:-)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Schneeky said:

I like that, nice clean example if that's all og...:-)

Couple of wear spots on it are showing the primer and paint that Schwinn used. Very clean, more scuffs from storage than use by the looks of it.

It’s clean!  That’s a nice pick up.  What’s the story?