Sign in to follow this  
ncmalko1

"STING SCIENCE"

result.jpgSteve B came up with a great idea via PM with me. He asked me if I'd be interested in starting a long research thread on all things "Sting and Sting Comp". I entered my Sting in the BOTY only hoping to gather a tad more respect for what I think was an elite race bike in its day (1979-82). I'd like to break everything down part by part, year by year, and generation by generation. Obviously I'd love all the Sting guys to add to this thread as it will take some time. I just plan on adding to it little by little. Well just to kick things off I'd like to share the official letter from Schwinn HQ to each dealer announcing the 1979 Sting and color combos. Give me some time to build this up so the Society can have a top notch reference guide for Schwinn Sting (1979 to 82)

Give me some time to figure out how to post pictures properly. I thought I could use photobucket but it doesnt seem to be working correctly.

result.jpg

Essentially this letter says that the Sting will be available for order on June 4th, 1979. The earliest Stings that Ive seen are from April/May of 1979. The suggested retail price was listed as $428.95 which was a very expensive bike in 1979. 

Colors offered were Chrome, Black Sable, Sky Blue, Cardinal Red and Golden Yellow. I'll get into the "golden yellow" Stings down the road. 

Finding the production numbers has been very difficult. This letter states that Schwinn will only make 500 1979 Stings. I have no proof or confirmation of Stings produced in 1980, 81 or 82. Genuine 82 Stings are extremely difficult to find. There is some confusion between the 83 Predator Stings and a batch of 100 tig welded Stings made in 83 for Team Schwinn riders. But genuine 1982 frames are a very tough find. I've seen one true 1982 and 3 true 1982 Sting Comps.

Nick, thanks for getting this going... we'll try to figure out a photo solution for you.

Just give me a little time to work with Steve in getting the picture issue down. The thread would be too boring without key pics!

Nick - You are preaching to the choir. Look forward to keeping up-to-date with this thread. Thanks! ... Matt ...

Yep! Goes double for me. There are naysayers out there in internet BMX land that feel when it comes to BMX Schwinn should not even allowed in the conversation. But I feel people like this are just plain ignorant to the history and the facts of the matter. That has never been the case here. The majority here have always been fully aware of the significance of the Sting. We also like good research too. so by all means carry on.

Oh yea, posting pics here is easy and using the site hosting is preferred especially for research topics. the main thing to remember is to make sure the picture is the right size. I find 786 x 1024 looks best when uploaded to the site.

• Like 1

Yep! Goes double for me. There are naysayers out there in internet BMX land that feel when it comes to BMX Schwinn should not even allowed in the conversation. But I feel people like this are just plain ignorant to the history and the facts of the matter.

Schwinn not having a place in BMX is like saying the Model A has no place in automotive history. BMX roots start with on the back of the Stingray!!! AND the Scwhinn Competition & SX1000, though considered by some to be  slow to be developed and out of date when released, surely deserve mention in leading to the Sting.

In 1979 I would consider DG, Mongoose, and a few other notable companies grasping at being deserving of mention as "state of the art". The Sting was much more than those offerings and was definately in the mix of "state of the art" in 1979-1980.

Do it up Nick!! 

My Sting given back to me by my cousin, as a frame and fork.

Took a while to build it up like it was, it came as a frame and fork set, complete with headset, seatpost, and clamp.

Those items were different than standard BMX, they were road dimensions.

The tapered fork was built by Tange, the frame was unreal.

The chrome and brazing, it looked like it popped out of a cast mold.

Had my fun with it, and then gave it back to cousin built.

This one was built in Aug. 1980, 160th in production.

sting 002.JPG

i love stings. this is a great thread idea.

I want to know about the mythical green Stings.  Still not one found but said to exist. 

Yeah, I remember hearing about those too Benny.  That would be cool to have some more info on them.  I thought it was a Bike Shop that had them custom painted though.  I could be wrong.

Guys, I'm getting close to making this a legit thread. Please hang in there. As for the mythical green Sting I'll tell you what I know. For one, in 1980 Schwinn offered emerald green as a color. The AHearns bicycle shop was rumored to have a race team that raced green Stings. Luckily, I landed a Schwinn catalog that AHearns owned. Hand written in the catalog was an order number for SX2000s in green. Pics will come but I've yet to see a pic of an original green SX2000. I'm thinking it was a custom order for AHearns only.

Nick, are you out there?

Now that Pat STR-1 is back on the scene, maybe you guys could tag team the definitive Sting Knowledge thread.

I saw this post and thought maybe you bumped it for me Steve. If you have any questions please let me know. I have literally owned every step of the Schwinn BMX timeline. I will dig out my pictures. I can help with questions possibly on the SX-2000/Sting Competition time frame. I have pictures of my old SX-2000 next to a Sting Comp next to a Sting. I will see if I can find that. I have been around Schwinn's for 35+ years. I have never heard the Green Sting rumor (I do have that picture of the yellow Sting frame that you all probably already have). On one hand it would not surprise me at all. Somebody at Schwinn seemed to have a green thing going on. In an earlier catalog Schwinn shows green and I think purple as an option for the SX-1000. Seems like there are pictures of both from Schwinn. There was supposedly also a green rumored option for the early Stingray style Scramblers. I have a picture of a green one. They both look cool. Green Sting sounds cool to me. Maybe that should be the fate of my Sting that needs love.... One other thing to consider is that when we would get replacement frames from Schwinn they came in a red primer sometimes. We did also get replacement frames from the factory that were painted and chromed as well. The reason for the primed frames was that we could paint them to match whatever color was being replaced. Most Schwinn dealers had a pretty good selection of factory Schwinn paint colors. We actually built and decaled and sold a Schwinn purple 36/36 out of our shop. I can't remember the name of that color. It was a Hollywood etc color. It was cool looking. Anyway I will start digging. If I can help at all let me know. I look forward to your research and post.

Aug13 (15).JPG

march 2 (8).JPG

Couple other pictures that I have.

June28 (2).JPG

June28 (1).JPG

yellowsting.jpg

Argh, I should have never sold my chrome Sting a few years ago (so stupid).

It was one of those deals where you knew, even before you sold it, that you'd regret selling it.

And, even though I'm a Robinson guy, I'd LOVE to have a candy red or blue Sting.  Probably should have tried trading my chrome one for a painted one.

Any new updates to this thread?

Any new updates to this thread?

I agree I can help. Ever seen an aluminum 24 inch King Sting?

king sting 24 (1).JPG

king sting 24 (4).JPG

king sting 24 (3).JPG

OK that was a teaser. Kind of um a custom. It started life as a Pro Mod cruiser and then was hard anodized in blue. Then I bought it and added the King Sting stickers. I used some of the Haney repro King Stink down tube stickers. All the rest are OG. I even used the Patent Applied For sticker. I have had this for years waiting for it's build. These ride excellent. Maybe someday.

Pro Mod 24 Before.jpg

What happened to the original poster on this thread? I will be more than happy to share anything that I think I know if that will help. I didn't want to step on any toes.