Sign in to follow this  
ncmalko1

"STING SCIENCE"

don't worry about it, Pat... this is collaborative.  Not sure what happened with Nick's plans but I can give you an out line and if you can fill in the blanks... that'd be awesome.

What I think would be useful is a little history on the Sting... 

when it was released, variations if any over the years, when it was phased out, etc.

Any production details available.

Discussion of difference between sting and sting comp

all hopefully illustrated with photos

Im really so sorry I haven't invested the time I should in this thread. I promise to one day get this thread really moving. 7 weeks to summer break (Im a teacher) and Ill have plenty of time to really put together a great Sting thread. Hang in there Steve... Im a man of my word!

Im really so sorry I haven't invested the time I should in this thread. I promise to one day get this thread really moving. 7 weeks to summer break (Im a teacher) and Ill have plenty of time to really put together a great Sting thread. Hang in there Steve... Im a man of my word!

No apology necessary, Nick... I know things get hectic.  It's all good.

What's the story on the yellow Sting?  I don't believe I have ever seen one that color?  Original?

I have been after one of the Bass boat metallic paint job Mid-school Pro Mods for a while.  Would love one to fall in my lap, especially a cruiser.

Spur, I found a completely NOS yellow Sting frame. I think its the only one to show up on any of the major BMX websites. If you look at the first post in this thread I attached a pic of a sales letter from Schwinn to its dealers. Its from May of 79 and says Stings will be available in Chrome, Sky Blue, Cardinal Red, Sable black and Golden Yellow. I know of a major anonymous Sting collector in Florida that has every year and every color combo Schwinn offered. His collection was so incredible I flew out there and quasi-donated the yellow frame to him. He built it up with blue parts and Gen1 Skyway graphites. If you'd like to see a pic of it go to the other BMX website and search my screen name and click "my bikes". I did it in chrome and gold.

He has an 82 Sting frame which is as rare as the golden yellow Stings. People often mistake the 83 Predator Stings for 82s. In all my years Ive only seen one 82 Sting and the frame alone went for north of $1,000.

Here is a very special bike. Its the only NOS in the original box I know of. Its owned by one of the more well known Sting collectors Jeff Haney. He swears by the Cardinal Reds. FYI Im the one on the right.result.jpg?1395967959.16943

Now here is my NOS Sting COMPETITION found the same way as Haneys in the original box with many parts still sealed in factory bags.

result.jpg?1395967609.90156

Sorry these pictures are all so small but Ill get that figured out for you guys. Before we get into the "science" of Stings I think I at least owe some pictures to hold you guys on until I get breaking down nuances and differences.

Mini Sting. Even though these are the mini versions, they still use 20 inch wheels (not 16). THe rest of the mini Stings used the same part list as Sting COmps, not Stings. THey are also NOT triOval.

result.jpg?1395968580.49904

Next up is a Sting with some different parts. Notice the tires. Stings came with NTKK Motocross tires front and rear then switched over to Schwinn Maximizer tires. The Sting Comps and mini Stings ran Schwinn Scrambler fronts and NTKK motocross rears. THey too later switched over to colored Maximizers. Being that NTKKs are almost impossible to find the majority of Sting collectors did Schwinn Scrambler fronts and they really cool Schwinn 50X500 Scrambler Competition "tractor" tires. Tractor is just a nick name that confuses people because Schwinn made non BMX tires called "Tractos" but everyone started calling the 50X500 Scrambler Competition tires "Tractors" because the tread looks like a tractor tire. A tad confusing!

This Sting is dressed up with my single favorite old school part, SHIMANO DX CRANKS. Got to love DX cranks!

result.jpg?1395969034.30861

Sounds all cool but I can't the pictures. More more love the Sting stories. I want to see. I want to see. Let's see more of that yellow bike. Is that this same frame?

yellowsting.jpg

Why can't I see the pictures? I love hearing Sting facts from those in the know.

This is an unreal sick original rainbow stickered SX-2000 that I picked up a few years back. It was so nice. Still had the original white Schwinn lithium grease on the bolt threads like we used to use. Other than the seat and possibly the rear reflector it was all original. Cleaned up like NOS.

00sx2K (1).JPG

00SX2k1.JPG

00SX2Kb (1).JPG

00SX2thousand (22).JPG

00sx2 (9).JPG

00sx2 (5).JPG

00sxclean (2).JPG

I can't see the photos anymore either, Pat... I think they are gone now.

They didn't show up even when the post were first posted. I am dying to see them.

Beautiful SX2000!!! And the Yellow frame is my grail next to a chrome Competition .. I know I will probably find a green sting before a yellow comes up for sale , but I have patience ... Would have paid the bin price on the chrome comp but my e bay account is screwed up. Needed that one to go with my red comp and my black comp , but again , patience. The Team Van I'm replicating has my full attention for this year but I'm still looking to add to my knowledge of Stings and the Team as well as find my grails.

You all have some beautiful stings !!! But the history and knowledge is what I'm digging in the most !

If I compared things to Star Wars , this place is like the rebel alliances base , nick malko is my Yoda and it looks like STR-1 is my Obi Wan in my personal Sting Universe

I grew up around a Schwinn shop and ended up working there when I was a kid. I have owned each step and beyond of the Schwinn BMX family. Just a Schwinn rider from my paper bikes to my Stingray's on up. It is funny how sought after the '82 Sting frames are now. When my friend got one as a replacement he was pissed. He refused it and got a black replacement frame instead. We got it as a non stickered replacement frame. I built it with mostly chrome parts with some blue for another friend. We didn't put Sting stickers on it just some other blue Schwinn decals that we had. That bike was stolen from him years later. Not sure that I have any pictures of that at all. It did look great with blue Tuff II's on it.

Here is another picture of that SX-2000 for you. Sorry for the out of focus shot.

00sx2 (1).JPG

Uuuugh. I dont know whats wrong with me and posting pics. They were up..... now they are gone? Me and Haney and his NOS red Sting.result.jpg?1396138531.62915

STR-1...Thats very cool that you worked at a Schwinn Shop back in the days ... Who would have ever known back then what would be so valuable now.. That's what makes memories so irreplaceable .

And the picture of your frames

Is awesome to see.. I love the way the frames look by themselves .. To me , they look like Art ..

Nick ... What can one say to a NOS Sting Comp still wrapped up ? But ... WOW!!!! What a beautiful sight to see .... You will always be The King Of Stings !!

I forgot to say , STR-1... That's an awesome SX2000 set up indeed .

Nick does suck about your pictures. Maybe try and email them to me and I can post them for you? I will pm you my email. So is your yellow built Sting the one in the picture that I posted next to a Schwinn box? I had never heard of a yellow Sting until I read it on Vintage BMX back years ago. I know that there was also a run of green Stings from what some of you guys have said. I would love to see a picture of a green one if you have one. I would not be surprised at all at custom colors from Schwinn on the Stings. Especially for a team bike. How cool would that be. Considering the fact that the Stings were done by Waterford on short runs it would be easier to make custom colors. Like Atherton's and the other white ones. Stings were completely different animals than any other Schwinn BMX frame. For those that have not seen or held a Sting frame you should. They are sick sick light and sick sick quality. SX-2000's and Sting Competition's share some of the characteristics of the Sting frames but totally different beasts. Back to the green thing with Schwinn. I also have literature from Schwinn as early as the SX-1000 being available in green. It was also rumored to be an option color on the early Stingray framed Scramblers. I have a picture of one around here somewhere. Anyway cool to see some Schwinn love around here. Keep 'em coming.

SFCobra Yes it was awesome working at a bike shop at the times that I did. My Schwinn roots are very deep. My first bike came from the same shop. Yellow Jr Stingray. So did all 6 of my older siblings bikes. Three of us worked there. Quick story for you. When I worked there Schwinn was blowing out anything Sting when the Predator line came in. It was crazy. You could buy a Sting frame and fork for less than 90.00. Sting Comp's Mini Sting's and King Sting's were even cheaper. I had a few friends that got a couple bikes. Here is a NOS blue Sting Frameset that I had years ago. Check the seat tube and the rear stays. That is virgin. Too much so actually for me. NOS needs a different home than me. It had plenty of shelf wear but not bad at all. I am sure it is probably in great hands out there somewhere. 1979 frame. Blue Sting's were only available as a frame or frameset not as a complete from Schwinn by the way in case you didn't know that.

520rs (9).JPG

520rs (8).JPG

520rs (3).JPG

520rs (4).JPG

520rs2.JPG

520rs (5).JPG

520rs (1).JPG

i'm a redline fella, but i realise the awesomness of the triple lugged and brazed frame. here's my 2 schwinn babies. i have a 3rd schwinn but it starts with pro, so i'll leave it out of this thread.

schwinns001.jpg

Here are a couple green Schwinn BMX things that I have saved. The green Scrambler went through epay years ago. Looks to have a bent fork. Anyone own this out there? I also like the mention of a green Competition Scrambler. Both bring some validity to the green rumors.

77ccpg38b (2).jpg

greenscrambler1.jpg

greenscrambler2.jpg

greenscrambler5.jpg

greenscrambler3.jpg