June28 (14).JPG

June28.JPG

June28 (9).JPG

June28 (13).JPG

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

my 79 Sting...LOVE IT !!!!!

79sting.JPG

stingsn.JPG

I've spoken to a friend of Mike Poulson and his and Donny Athertons white Stings werent special orders... they were spray painted. As for the greens I think there were no green Stings, just green sx2000s custom ordered by Ahearns bike shop.

Schwinn did offer "Emerald Green" in 1980 on some bikes so the paint was available.

that is bad ass in white

That white Sting come with a story? Still got my old chrome one ? Sweet bike Rick for sure.

I've spoken to a friend of Mike Poulson and his and Donny Athertons white Stings werent special orders... they were spray painted. As for the greens I think there were no green Stings, just green sx2000s custom ordered by Ahearns bike shop.

Schwinn did offer "Emerald Green" in 1980 on some bikes so the paint was available.

I kind of commented on this subject before. It doesn't surprise me at all to hear that the White Sting's were custom sprayed. I think Schwinn anything could be had in any Schwinn color. We had all types of Schwinn frames at our shop in factory red primer. Including Sting's Sting Comp's Mag Scrambler's Stingray's Varsity's, Suburbans etc etc etc. It was at the choice of the shop or the owner of a new frame to have it whatever factory Schwinn color available. Lifetime replacement meant you had all frames on hand for such an instance.Our shop owner's son was a little wacky. We sent some crazy crazy colored stuff out of our shop in the old days. He even sprayed non Schwinn colors onto stuff. We did indeed send out a purple 36/36 that was 100% correct and all original Schwinn. I wish I had a picture it was cool as shit. So all these "rumors" of green Sting's. Does anyone have any pictures?

Useless Schwinn  trivia: There are Schwinn-specific Ukai rims. Same as the normal ones except for the drilling. First hole to the right is drilled on the opposite side of normal ones as per Schwinn request. 

Also, the red Ukai rims on Schwinns are more "pinkish" than regular production ones.

And one more. Schwinn Sting (and other models) wheels were low flange rear and high flange front.

The other one is not Sting related but does apply to Schwinn BMX. Just because it has the "safety" wheel retaining holes, it doesn't make it necessarily a cheap fork.  Schwinn made it in Cr-Mo (used on the SX-1000) and hi-ten steel and look similar. Weight difference and the lack of an inner seam is the difference.

I ran across a 1980 Schwinn catalog a couple of weeks ago.  Aside from a piece of exercise equipment, the Sting was the most expensive item in their entire product line.  A little over $1300 adjusted for inflation!IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

yeah, that Sting price point was pretty elite in 1980

I have to chime in on the haters! I remember when Kevin Jackson , Greg Hill, Richard Zagars, Donnie Atherton and a few others, brought those Stings out to the Teen Center and it was the bike that had new ideas in tube manufacturing and sized better for bigger riders. It was a innovation in design and style . I raced on the Flying Dutchman team with Atherton and Zagars and when they moved on and got Schwinn sponsored, and got those bikes, I was jelous and I had moved on to Torker, a great bike , but not evolved in size for older riders yet.. I still think the lines of the Sting are like a fine automobile and are timeless! Haters grow up. Whiteman

I have to chime in on the haters! I remember when Kevin Jackson , Greg Hill, Richard Zagars, Donnie Atherton..........Haters grow up. Whiteman

Did I miss something? All I have seen is positive responses.

The response about the Sting not being worthy of the history books, at least that's what read of it, I could have been sleep reading and responding, but anyways, I liked them and to the hates, I still say, kick rocks!!!

Whatever happened to this?

It's very difficult to get people to follow through with stuff like this.  It really wouldn't be that hard to knock it out... especially for someone that has all the facts already in mind... they just have to take the time to type it out and post photos.  

For what ever reason, people rarely do so, there have been dozens of projects like this that never get past the idea stage.

I think the main problem is that people over-think it, they have an elaborate vision of what it could be,  and that's cool but they know that vision will take time to execute, and are waiting to have that allotment of time - but that will NEVER happen.  That's why it's best to just keep it simple... facts and photos, don't get derailed by layout and that sort of stuff.

Loving this thread.Over here in OZ and have this Sting.Great to ride and always turns heads.How do you date these baby,s guys.

20140502_101012.jpg

20140502_101051.jpg

Gazzz..

Great looking Sting you have !! This might help you decode your frame:

The 1st letter stamp in the serial # indicates the month of Production for the frame :

A-Jan , B-Feb ,C-Mar , D - April , E-May , F-June , G-July , H-August , I-Sept , J-Oct , K-Nov , L-Dec

The 2nd stamp indicates the year made;

1979-9 , 1980-0 , 1981-1 , 1982-2 , 1983-3

The 3rd and 4th  stamps should be TO indicating it to be a Sting and Tri Oval

The 5th thru 7th stamps indicate the Production #000-???

• Like 2

Sting won it's class in the 2013 BoTY, and that was the impetus for this thread.

this thread is interesting on a number of levels  LOL

• Like 1