Sign in to follow this  
Cycle24-7

Redline for the masses, before they went to China

Ok,

So. I thought I knew everything, like most of us? And while calling out a seller on CL about his Redline, he claimed was made in America, I learned something. It took some digging. So, it seems Redline was briefly owned by Seattly Bike Supply, just before going to China. I dont know who welded the frame for those 3 years, my guess would be Giant, or a similar frame company. Heres what I found:  

REDLINE...History from the begining, to when they went to China..... Redline Racing Frames was founded in 1970 by Linn Kastan and Mike Konle in Chatsworth California for making chromoly motorcycle frames and swingarms. The company consisted of a staff of six people and was receiving much success with their motorcycle swingarms. In 1973 Kastan decided he would weld a bicycle frame for his son as a Christmas gift that same year. His son soon raced this bike under his fathers company name Redline. The bike was noticed by a company called Pedalers West and they challenged Kastan to come up with a stronger and lighter fork specifically for 20 inch BMX racing. Kastan accepted the challenge. In February 1974 the first pairs of tubular chromoly forks were being produced. They were an instant success and became a favorite amongst racers at the time. Later that year Redline would release its first chromoly frame, the Squareback. Due to the high price at the time of $85 the sales were dismal. In 1977 Kastan and Konle agreed to go separate ways and Kastan would take over full ownership of Redline Racing Frames and Konle would carry on with the motorcycle side renaming his company Champion.

By this time Kastan had designed and was releasing the Proline, their first official Team Model frame and fork. Soon after the famous V-Bars handlebars, the MXll frame and the Microline frame (mini series) were released. With these additions the company was gaining success again and by January 1980, Redline Flight cranks were going into production. They would be BMX's first tubular chromoly three piece cranks which would become Redline's most popular product.

In 1982 Redline introduced the Proline ll, the MXlll series and expanded their line with the PL-20 and the PL-24. The PL-24 would be their first BMX bike with 24 inch wheels, commonly known as a cruiser. In 1983, they expanded further into the freestyle market with the RL-20 Prostyler. Not an instant hit but it would later gain popularity with the RL-20ll in 1985. 1985 was arguably the height of Kastans success with Redline. During the next three years they would continue to further develop these models with many variations.

In 1988 Kastan sold Redline to Seattle Bike Supply (SBS) and they relocated the company to Kent, Washington. The company produced its first mountain bike in 1989 and changed its colors to pink, white, and black. They went on to manufacture road bicycles in the early 1990s and would eventually change the colors back to the original red, black, and white in 1993. Kastan went on in 1988 with his new BMX company which he named Kastan. Redline eventually sold out to China, the rest, is garbage....

So, it seems Redline was briefly owned by Seattly Bike Supply, just before going to China. I dont know who welded the frame for those 3 years, my guess would be Giant, or a similar frame company.

Huh, might want to do some fact checking.  Define briefly? 88 through today is pretty far from briefly.  A lot of this common knowledge.  Looks like you copy and pasted this from somewhere.

Something's not quite right.  When did they go to China?  Just recently?  They were still part of SBS (or maybe it was just a distribution deal) up until just a few years back.  In fact, I bought some reproduction 1981 Carrera decals from SBS about 5 or 6 years ago for a re-fin / retro I built.  

EDIT:

I'm guessing they are manufactured in China like so many other products that we buy that are made in China and brought to us via US distributors.  Coincidentally SBS is a distributor for a number of different bicycle manufacturers.  

That said, I found this on the Redline Bicycles website:

Contacting Us

If there are any questions regarding this privacy policy you may contact us using the information below.
Redline Bicycles
7620 S 192nd Street
Kent, WA 98032

Which happens to be the same address as SBS...  

Just surfing the SBS website I was able to determine that they also own Torker and Wethepeople among a few others.  

Not sure if Gork still works for Redline / SBS, but maybe Thumperpilot can shed some light on the relationship if he checks this thread.  

As I understand it Redlines parent company SBS, is now owned by Accell North America / Raleigh America

Ed from planetbmx was talking about it in a museum thread about 40th anniv V bars.

Gork is back working at USABMX with Thumperpilot. SBS/Redline/Torker/whatever else are 5 minutes away from me in Kent Washington.

the rest, is garbage...

I disagree with this too. You can be arrogant/patriotic whatever about where a bike is made. I get that. I prefer American made goods too but there is nothing garbage about the Redline product line. You cannot beat their completes, we own several in my household and we have not had a problem out of them. Say what you want about China/Taiwan, they can make a pretty good product.

Don't you ride Honda's? Just a missile launch from China.

So, it seems Redline was briefly owned by Seattly Bike Supply, just before going to China. I dont know who welded the frame for those 3 years, my guess would be Giant, or a similar frame company.

Huh, might want to do some fact checking.  Define briefly? 88 through today is pretty far from briefly.  A lot of this common knowledge.  Looks like you copy and pasted this from somewhere.

Found this in Wikipedia, so I asume its fact.  When they sold to China, I don't know.  I thought it was a few years after the move to SBS....I posted this as I never heard about SBS before, and thought it was worthy of sharing. Not trying to start a pissing match....... 

Pretty sure SBS is just a distributor...

My buddy owns Woodside BMX, and he deals with Redline bicycle division, now. And they are from China, AND HAVE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER RELATIONS, AND HORRIBLE  TO DEAL WITH. .. He is about to drop the line.

They would not even send him a replacement tire for a 2011  24 Cruiser he had trouble with out of the box.

My other good friend owns  a bike shop in San Jose, and he races for Redline, and says nothing but good things about the current Proline high end bikes..I kinda base my comments on what I see and hear talking to my 2 bike shop owner friends.....

Any Chinese  NEGATIVE COMMENTS WHERE FROM MY OWN OPINIONS, NOTHING ELSE.....

And I will defend HONDA, until I die.....And Yamaha.,,, as I have owned many of both...  But they are not from China last I checked....

Wikipedia is about as accurate as the Enquirer. That's your first mistake. I cannot believe you quote wiki as fact on this site. Unbelievable!

You do realize wiki can be written and edited by anyone on the planet right?

Wikipedia is about as accurate as the Enquirer. That's your first mistake. I cannot believe you quote wiki as fact on this site. Unbelievable!

You do realize wiki can be written and edited by anyone on the planet right?

Shit,

No,  I had no idea.... Never used Wicki pedia before... It looked legit... Found it while I was searching... Damn, guess I'll never do that again. Now you know, why Pat calls me blockhead.  Sorry......I come from the school of hard knocks....

Well, I meant well.......

Wikipedia is crowd sourced, but it's generally pretty reliable because they have some pretty good minds reviewing the content.  Depending on the subject matter, you can have some of the great minds in the field proofing the entries.  But, in some cases it is just any old thing somebody puts up there.  To their credit, you often see "citation needed" for un cited assertions couched as fact.

If you are researching something really important you should do some due diligence, but it's fairly reliable in my opinion for some subject matter.  That said... they are the first to disclaim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use

Wikipedia is not considered a credible source. Wikipedia is increasingly used by people in the academic community, from freshman students to professors, as an easily accessible tertiary source for information about anything and everything. However, citation of Wikipedia in research papers may be considered unacceptable, because Wikipedia is not considered a credible or authoritative source.[1][2]
This is especially true considering anyone can edit the information given at any time.

Thanks Steve,

For that. When ever I fall upon new or unseen information, I get happy to share with my online friends.  This time, I learned something, because I need to slow down, before I go posting. And since Redline falls under my Champion interest,  I probably got a bit too excited, and did what I did....

As in life, this has been a learning experience... No harm no foul......  I still never new there are Redlines stamped saying made on America, hand made in Seattle....From 1989 onward..... That, is still news to me...

It is wholly unreliable, colleges do not accept them as credible sources for research or papers and etc.

in the 90's redline race bikes were made in kent wa by control tech. thats where the single pinch no wrap flights came from as well as the double pinch. 

It is wholly unreliable, colleges do not accept them as credible sources for research or papers and etc.

Got it, and I am sorry. I know you guys thrive on Factual info,  and me quoting a questionable source of info, is  my my bad......

SBS still owns Redline. They have the bikes made overseas. They had some bikes made by Controltech around 94, I have one (a cruiser).

It is very common these days for American owned bike companies to outsource their bikes overseas.

It's pretty interesting what pops up when you run these posts through a plagiarism checker and see all the sources of the material. If you really want a hoot, though, run it through one that also checks grammar.

:nah.I.mean:

The first Redline component I had was in 1976, some nickel chromoly forks made in California. The last Redline components I had were in 1996, some Redline Flight cranks I had for over 10 years when they finally broke. Last week I bought a Redline MonoCog that was a trade-in at a local bike/skate shop and it is awesome, wherever it was made.

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Edited by Richard Vogt - bmxmountainbiker

Hey Aaron! How goes it man

Joe!! You old chrome polisher you!!!  How you been man?

As you can see, I 'm sticking my foot in my mouth, as usual.  

But it did help dig up some good hard facts, which is all I could hope for anyways. 

Good to see you posting again dude. We need more sarcasm!!!

Dusty from old bike shop....

Any historical finds in the bike shop?

Wikipedia can be accurate, but those citations are in there for a reason. If there is a lack of resources listed at the bottom of a Wikipedia page, it's a pretty good idea to take it with a grain of salt. If there are good resources listed, it's a pretty good idea to read through at least a few of them and develop your own interpretation of the source material. :)

Hey Aaron! How goes it man

Joe!! You old chrome polisher you!!!  How you been man?

As you can see, I 'm sticking my foot in my mouth, as usual.  

But it did help dig up some good hard facts, which is all I could hope for anyways. 

Good to see you posting again dude. We need more sarcasm!!!

Dusty from old bike shop....

Any historical finds in the bike shop?

I found 110 boxes of Robergel French bike nipples and spokes. Boxes and boxes of edco nipples, thousands of spokes 26, 20 inch 14 gauge and 20 inch 12 gauge , Redline 401 hardware kits, I'll take some pics of all the stuff. Too much to list. I had to take a break from BMX for a bit. I have been collaborating with Borrani of Italy in designing some Indy style wheels for my hotrod. They are using my car for the Model. That has been taking all my time.

Edited by Joe Buffardi

So did I miss something in all this? Where is it stated that the Redline's in question were US made?