Sign in to follow this  
invertedtable

Orientation

I was goofy footed when I got my first skateboard at age eight.  I get that's a natural thing.  However, here's my question... why do our brothers' from another mother run their brakes on the other side.  Rear brake on the left?  That changes the way you learn (and do) Miami Hoppers.... if we've discussed this already, please B-Slap me....

Seems like we need to socialize this.  

I think there was a Sheldon Brown article about that... something about motorcycle hand signals.  That said, I'm not sure.

I was whipping around the neighborhood on my bud's old Puch moped in the 80s (to the extent that a moped can whip around anyway). I grabbed the right brake lever thinking I would stop... the front wheel locked up and I ended up smashing head on into the broad side of my neighbor's house. Thanks for the memory.

i tried it.... crashed badly.  got the brakes mixed up.  note to crew: have your brake pads dialed, and stay out of the streets - unless you can hold an endo Mike Buff style...

Good question.

I'm not sure why the regional switch.

Yeah, I would have a really hard time re-training my brain with opposite side levers.   30+ years of pulling brakes / second nature - It would be a bad scene and lots of failed tricks.

My buddy races motorcycles, all his bicycles have the brake levers on the wrong (to me) side so that it doesn't mess him up going between bikes and motorbikes.

Having said that, don't you guys normally give the lever a little tug before you start pedaling a bike? I know I do. I even do it on my own bikes.

I rode with the front brake lever on the right because I could get more power to the front brake for tricks and such.  As a teen my right arm and grip was much stronger for some reason....

I rode with the front brake lever on the right because I could get more power to the front brake for tricks and such.  As a teen my right arm and grip was much stronger for some reason....

The many powder-puffers in BMX Action mag.

Back in my racing days, I ran front and back brakes and I ran them moto style... right for front left for rear. My buddy Mike was the only dude that could ride my bike without eating it... he was a moto man.