Joe Buffardi

TW Racing first gen. WOW!!

Is that the one you showed me before?

Is that the one you showed me before?

Yes this is the one.

Amazing! So that's two found right?

Yeah I think only 2 have surfaced.

impressed!

Dope. What's the year & history with these?

That's a sexy frame.. Nice find !

I'm not sure. I have only seen pictures of these frames on the race track. There was a ton of pictures on Vintage but they are gone. This frame has no serial number or stamp. It came with Cook Bros. forks, Mongoose stamped cranks with stamped  Mongoose BB.

Post the pics of the frames on the track.

Here's pics from a thread on Vintage with some interesting details, of course if anyone spots an error, correct anything that needs it...

TWracing.Vintage_thread.png

TWracingThread_Vintage.png

images-1.jpg

images.jpg

x

twad.jpg

url.jpg

post-183-135722086503.jpg

Only the pic of the bike by itself appears to be stick tail - all the others are loop tail - and not one of them appears to have headtube support gussets

This one and the "ultralite" stickered frame that was unearthed not long ago all have different details - not one is consistent to another

To be honest I personally wouldn't put a name to them till I could solidify with some serious physical evidence.

Steve where was that ad posted in ? Local track periodical or national publication.... I can't say I remember ever seeing that ad

all of the above photos were taken from Vintage threads I think, most of these photos are missing from the original threads it seems, but was able to salvage by tracking down cached images from the old pages.

I can't log in to Vintage... been that way for years, so not sure if it is just me that doesn't see the photos or if they are really gone.

Joe, what info do you have regarding what distinguishes the generations of TW frames?

There is a thread at vintage called all things TW racing and if any one is able to log in there anymore there are pics of John Splillers 1st gen stick tail TW Complete bike how he raced it.Looks like Joe's but does not have the gussets up front,drop outs look pretty close to Joe's,my Ultralite stickered one has different drop outs and made by someone else for them i think,my serial number is 000.Joe's frame looks like the first gen made by Green Duck for TW Racing,Loop Tails were second gen,and i heard some 3rd gens might have been made stick tail again.Gussets were added because of the frames breaking were the top tube joins the head tube.I was told By John Severin my frame is most likely a TW Racing,not sure what gen,hard to know with no pics around of them,Jeff Haney has Pete's Loop tail in his collection.

Here is mine,it has been rewelded at the head tube where they break,looks like a factory job,nice weld!

Sorry,can't seem to get pics to come up.

Edited by king stinger

I know most of the 1980 TW factory team members.
But not as in contact with all of them.
Here's a list I compiled of most of the factory team.
There is at least one or more I'm missing.... 

Denny Davidow
Andy Patterson
Pete Loncarevich
Roger Linder
Korry Neal
Tosh Muraviov
Leslie Burley
John Spillers (Washington)
Anthony Perry (brother of Clarence "The EarthQuake" Perry, from Washington)

I posted as much info on TW as I could quite a few years ago. Almost all the scans of the racers or the ads floating around the internet all look like ones I posted years ago.

My best guess, TW Racing was together less than one full year. Around very late late 1979 or very early 1980 till around Fall of 1980.

By the time of the NBA and ABA Grand Nationals (around November 1980), I don't recall seeing any TW Racing sponsored riders. Davidow moved onto Skyway, Patterson onto GT, Loncarevich onto Diamond Back, Roger Linder was on Max, Korry Neal was on Kuwahara, ect. It's a bit difficult to be more exact than that.

They were always in the prototype stage cause the word was, they kept breaking. My very best guess, the stick back end is the early, original design. No idea on the head tube gusset being early or late...

The other rumor was, they were struggling for enough capital to keep going.

The frames were being welded together at DG/ Green Duck in Ramona Ca.

TW stood for Taylor and Whimple .... James Taylor and Brian Wimple -

Pete Loncarevich told me about 4 years ago he had a TW Racing frame in storage. However, I never saw it.

Johnny Johnson

Edited by Johnny Johnson