Sign in to follow this  
OLDSKOOLPK

Another serious question......no drama, just your answer!

This thread is in no way to stir the shit pot, piss people off or start drama between people who restore bikes, ruin bikes or keep them survivors.

We all know we can't save every bike from being restored or ruined by mounting up the latest porkchump part or being powdered some crazy color and etc.

After seeing a pretty uncommon 4130 chromoly Quad go from a complete survivor:

Trevs4130quad.jpg

to this (its a nice color, cool choice of parts....but dang, that Quad was sexy to begin with)

TrevsoldquadRUINED.jpg

I want to know:

Before you sell a bike or a part to another collector or friend, do you ask what their intentions are with it??  

Have you ever NOT sold a part to someone due to their rap sheet of being a restorer??

Is it just money and a old BMX bike and who gives a shit what happens to it after it leaves your hands??

Chime in with your thoughts, please keep it happy and don't let this turn into a shit storm, that was not my intention.

======================================================================================

My thoughts:   I have sold a lot of stuff over the years, 99.9% really nice original finish stuff.  I do ask what they will be doing with it.  I have been lied to before (oh well) and i have others who have kept their word (not like they need to...its theirs now, not mine anymore)  but if i DID know that they were gonna restore the bike or part, i would have NEVER sold it to them.  Being 33 years old and having no real attachment or a great memory or story to these bikes like most of you guys who lived through it, sometimes its the money that gets me motivated but in the end.....i want to keep the stuff OG, the way it was made!  

I've actually been mulling over selling some of my old school survivor bikes. I think if I do, I will be very careful about who I sell them to. I probably won't put them out on the open market, but try to keep them in the family, so to speak.

I personally think it's perfectly reasonable to try to choose a buyer who sees things like we do.

It's no guarantee that it will be preserved, but it's a start.  I don't feel like it's our responsibility in the sense that everyone "must" screen buyers, a lot of people don't have the time or even desire to deal with that... but if it's not an urgent sale, and these things are important to you, then yeah, try to find someone who shares your values.

Hey wagonguy,

If you want to sell that Red R10 I would be interested.

No powdercoats or refinishing!

My PM box is full, need to super delete or reup membership to get a PM.

Probably there is a sentimental value that is not lost with a sale.

If you saw somebody doing goofy shit or crashed the 67 Camaro you brought back to life a guy would feel the same. A friend of mine did a meticulous minor restoration of a like Camaro, sold it and a kid wrapped it around a tree. Sucked.

The teen survived, but the car was shitcanned.

That literally makes my stomach hurt.

I don't sell much, I could use the money too, but I worry about where and who the stuff would end up at/with.  I have sold some stuff that I added the caveat that if you have an inkling about refinishing it or selling it that I get a crack at getting it back. I am cool with buying stuff back and re-homing it.  I did it with one of my Badd and Co. framesets.  I bought it back and it ended up with a local friend of mine who raced a Badd and Co.

I think I have a problem, almost like I feel these bikes are sentient ...

i feel the same way as you guys. but i also feel that if a frame or part is getting damaged , or in jeopardy of rotting to death, that it may be time to refinish. after all , the finish is what got it this far anyway. my two cents.

I think it becomes a money question. Most of us are seasoned collectors. We're not "building" collections anymore. Thus the need to pay top dollar for a frame or complete which would be an "extra" in many cases just isn't there. There's lots of stuff I've bought cheap that I didn't need, but, never bought anything I didn't need at top dollar.

So, I think if you don't want it refinished, you gotta lower your price, and most guys won't do that. You get one or the other. Top dollar or safe keeping.....

Hey wagonguy,

If you want to sell that Red R10 I would be interested.

No powdercoats or refinishing!

My PM box is full, need to super delete or reup membership to get a PM.

Probably there is a sentimental value that is not lost with a sale.

If you saw somebody doing goofy shit or crashed the 67 Camaro you brought back to life a guy would feel the same. A friend of mine did a meticulous minor restoration of a like Camaro, sold it and a kid wrapped it around a tree. Sucked.

The teen survived, but the car was shitcanned.

Hey Andy, I just might sell that bike. When I'm ready, you have the right of first refusal for sure.

Doug

That Quad was so choice.  Dude will regret that eventually.  Every survivor I have sold has gotten "modded".  Not much you can do, really.  People either get it or they don't.

IMO, when people sell shit, their focus is primarily about getting cash rather than the personal ethics of the buyer they are selling to and in turn, the destination of their goods. True archivists rarely sell. It's a rich man's hobby. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivist

There's a big difference between a collector and an archivist. The closest person to being an archivist in this hobby, that I know of, would be Steve. Albeit, most of his archive is crowd-sourced. Holding objects is collecting. As far as watching who you sell to, that happens everyday in the art world. Dealers will go out of their way to protect where the work of certain artists goes. It is partially about money, but at a certain point, with certain objects, it's about something much larger and more complicated. You or I, having just won the biggest Powerball in history, are not going to walk into a gallery and purchase the newest work by David Hockney. It doesn't work that way. There's no reason for certain objects in this hobby to be treated any differently.

Sorry, hopefully I don't come across as jumping all over you. I apologize if that's how it sounded. I'm just not sure that archivist is the right word for those in this hobby who are something more than plain old collectors. I should probably just shut up now. :)

For me it is kind of a mixed bag. I am by no means a rich man. i am very much middle class as as my life goes. And very much "blue collar" in my occupation. I've just been around awhile. I have sold very little when it comes to complete bikes I mainly sell off my excess parts. when it comes to the bikes I have I almost look upon them as my children but at the same time I feel I am not the owner of them as much as I am their caretaker. I'll hold on to them until a time I feel  it is, (A) a good time to pass them on to the next pair of loving hands. Or (B) I reach a point with my personal health I can no longer maintain them like they should be.

Mark Mc stated my situation best. I am no longer building up my collection per say as much as maintaining it. But I know when the day comes to pass some stuff along I am going to be as selective as I can when It comes to who ends up with the bikes.

Mi Dos Centavos.

Edited by sodbuster

Im just like Jake. It genuinely makes my stomach hurt to see that. Wow.....

I have in the past asked what someone is going to do with a bike I'm selling.  I not only worry about it being misused, destroyed, etc., but also that someone is just going to turn around and part it out. 

The black quad was cool.  I think I would have just added a better seat, cut the brake cable, and called it a day. 

Sometimes it can be about educating the buyers to hold out for a frame in need of refinishing rather than being in a hurry and taking a good survivor. About six years ago I posted about wanting to put together a yellow Fiola replica. Darren C contacted me with an offer to sell a chrome 84 frame set. He knew my intention to refinish it. I received the frame set and realised it was far to good to refinish. After I said that, he told me he had hoped that I would keep it original. So, he took a risk and it worked out. Sorry to say I have not built it up and I bought it back in January 2008... It is still original though.

Unless we know all the circumstances leading up to a sale it's difficult to criticise a seller's actions. Old BMX bikes are nice to have items, not need to have items and sometimes life gets in the way and people need to sell them for as much as they can get and aren't in a position to choose who gets to buy their item. Again, back to my original words, educating the buyers helps preserve those parts that need preserving.