Sign in to follow this  
MJW300

1978 Sears Screamer MX bike restored

Here's a rare one. This is a genuine Sears Screamer MX bike from 1978. Like the AMF Avengers. Just finished up the restoration project. Will add more pictures soon.

2nd 78 screamer 25.jpg

• Like 1

That came out nice! Yes More pics please. More details too! :)

The bike looks awesome.  I'd like to see some more pictures, too.  What's that you've got going on in the background?  The handlebars kind of fade into all those other bikes. 

• Like 1

That is a great-looking bike and thanks for the help on mine

The bike looks awesome.  I'd like to see some more pictures, too.  What's that you've got going on in the background?  The handlebars kind of fade into all those other bikes. 

The bikes in the background are all 1977-78 Murray built choppers, including a (blue) Western Flyer Ram Rod, several (purple) Fire Cats and a couple (red) Sears Free Spirit.

• Like 1

That is a great-looking bike and thanks for the help on mine

Dave, if you're interested in better stickers for your chain guard and the other stickers to make yours more complete let me know. I made a few extra sets.

Ok, here are some more pictures including the owner's manual and a page from a 1978 Sears catalog.

my2ndscreamer045_zps2a560857.jpg

my2ndscreamer040_zps1c6b5318.jpg

my2ndscreamer029_zps79eb3aba.jpg

my2ndscreamer032_zps20cf806c.jpg

my2ndscreamer035_zpse7ea7748.jpg

my2ndscreamer037_zps876e2822.jpg

my2ndscreamer038_zpsc81eb29e.jpg

my2ndscreamer042_zps9553dc76.jpg

78manual1.jpg

78catalog2a.jpg

• Like 1

Man I remember eyeing the sears catalog at those bikes.

Here is my first Screamer from back in the day. I got it in 1978, then at the height of The Dukes of Hazzard tv show in 1980, I tore it down and repainted it like General Lee. I still have plans to build another Screamer to look like my General Lee bike.

SCREAMERBMX001.jpg

• Like 1

great story, great bike, great effort !!!! I love to see the so called department store bikes !!!! not every kid had a full blown race rig !!!  I have one of those frames, needs some lovin though, if you could use it just let me know.

Wow cool ass bike man big love for the cheap bikes as kids

great story, great bike, great effort !!!! I love to see the so called department store bikes !!!! not every kid had a full blown race rig !!!  I have one of those frames, needs some lovin though, if you could use it just let me know.

Got a picture of that frame?  Might be interested. Thanks.

The bike with the 606 plate was my very first BMX bike.  I would love to find one!

On 5/13/2014 at 8:27 AM, MJW300 said:

Here's a rare one. This is a genuine Sears Screamer MX bike from 1978. Like the AMF Avengers. Just finished up the restoration project. Will add more pictures soon.

2nd 78 screamer 25.jpg

My younger brother and I each got one of these bikes for Christmas back in 1978.  I remember the ad in the Sears Catalogue and the price tag of $108.  This was a lot of money for a bike during this time and I wasn’t sure my parents and Santa would make our dreams come true.  They did and my brother and I were the coolest dudes in the neighborhood that year.  I recently sent him the pictures of your restoration and called him to reminisce about the 1978 Christmas.  He reminded me about things we did related to these bikes that I had forgotten, and I did the same for him.  We wish we would have hung on to them since they are so rare, but who knew.  Great job on the restoration, and thanks for the opportunity to connect with my brother and share our joyful times growing up.

JW