Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

The most expensive documented sales...

The most expensive verified complete bike sales... can you cite some examples?

How about frame or frame/fork only?

How about some astronomical part prices - verified sales?

A friend and I were discussing this the other day. I think it started out that we were marveling at the price being asked for something or that had just sold... and it got us trying to remember some of the more memorable sales we've seen.   Then specifically about record prices for certain Mid-School brands, or how about the highest price for a pre-78 bike?  That's a hard one... Etc, etc.  

We looked at completed sales on ebay.  We also checked completed sales on Museum - but I must say, I'd like to see verified proof some of those actually sold for the price showing.   I'm guessing a seller can just mark an item sold and the price shown may have nothing at all to do with the actual sale price?  Because obviously there is no way some of those items have been closed sales at those prices.

Parts... I remember a couple years ago I saw a Cook Bros seat post clamp go for $500. I was really impressed by that.

I've seen CBR hubs go for really high too. I want to say it was $1200 but may have been higher.

And I saw a set of quadangle pads that weren't even a complete set sell for $650   :wink:  Again... impressed. 

You know... this subject matter never really interested me before, but I suddenly found it kind of fascinating for some reason.

I've been on both ends on this topic, I've definitely overpaid for stuff, usually with the abbreviation CBR attached to it. But I've also sold some stuff for decent money. 

I AM GUILTY PM FOR DETAILS!!! LOL!

Probably Nomura 26 cruisers and Skyway 24.

Yeah we know.... just saying :)

Martin (global nomad) had a list on his site. It seems to be gone though.

Yeah we know.... just saying :)

I am impulsive at times! Better lately somewhat though. :Idunno:

The Quad pads were worth every penny of $650 (to me....at least) and I have been offered more for them, so I think I did ok with my purchase. Wink wink!

I think with the movement of Juan buying up everything for retarded $ then selling it almost all for the loss was the start of others doing the same thing.

Now we have a guy in Thailand doing the same thing......I have heard serious 'price records' broken since he has jumped on the scene.

12k for 4 Studd stems

25k for a JU6

2500+ for RTT PK's and Diamond Drop out PK's

It all smells fishy to me....ill be here when the stuff needs to be sold for a loss.

Here is a few of my own selling (gouging as Steve Bros would say) records

Mr. Stix Wedge - bought it for $630, sold it for $2500

NOS Comp II and snake belly - bought them as a set for $500, Sold for $1250

NOS SE Rad Pads - bought for $250, sold for $850

2 sets of Son Lite Turbo II hubs in black - one set bought for $300, Sold for 1.5k with Chrome arayas, other set bought off a complete and got for free, sold for 1k.

Money makes the world go round.....it also helps fund the bikes and addiction to build the nicest stuff we can afford. Some people have patience, some don't. Its all money, you cant take it with you when your die....so spend it now!

Haha!

I did not clearly express what I was getting at, as any sense of guilt or confessing, even if done jokingly is not really what I meant at all.  I'm not really sure what I'm getting at for that matter - but guilt or confession is not it.

There's nothing wrong with it per se.

I also noticed Martin's site was down or different at least recently, Glenn.  There's also been an effort on a Facebook page I saw to establish a blue book type thing for BMX.  It is not really working that well it seems. 

It's hard or even impossible to separate this subject matter from sensationalism.  But I guess I was more interested in norms.  Like what are the maximum norms for a pre-1977 bike, curious because it still seems like one of the more affordable facets of the hobby.  Mid-school also seemed affordable but the asking prices being tossed around in some instances now days has sort of got my attention.

The fact is, prices for hobby/collectible items are never static and often vary drastically. Establishing a "market price" is nearly impossible.

I think what Steve is asking for is eye opening prices paid?

I am always amazed at what Cook Stuff, especially stems, seem to fetch. Likewise Thruster Power Stems.  My own opinion on them is that they were really only "the thing" for about a 6 months to a year, then Suntour, SR,  MCS, Tuf Neck stems arrived on the scene. The latter 2 having better bar clamping and being as strong yet lighter and smaller. Even Redline dropped the Double Clamp very quickly in favor of the Brute. Yet, Cook and Thruster kept pushing the double clamp. Even being co-sponsored by Thruster I absolutely chose not to use their stem.

Conversely, I am always astounded that the complete Cook UNI-Clamps systems do not go for more. I have seen an NOS unit change hands  for 2000-2500. To me that is a crazy steal!! We are talking about an example of bicycle industry innovation manufactured 17 years prior to it being embraced and becoming industry standard. That is history that transcends BMX and extends to all segments of cycling and associated manufacturing. I think the Browning 2-speeds also fall into this category, even though they did not achieve their innovative goal, I love them for what they represent.

My impression lately is that overall, the BMX market is in the crapper. The exception being the uber rare stuff, and/or the mint/NOS stuff. Now I get why that stuff sells for nutty prices. Rare and nice stuff can command it.

But, I think truly what's happened is the market has slowed. You can't figure out a price as not enough is selling, so, you list high, take less. For example, an Addicks seat clamp. I passed on several of those years ago even at $20-30 and now they're out there at $80+?? 

The Shimano MX/DX hubs I love.... Used to be $80-100 maybe $150 if NOS. I couldn't even sell the last, nice used set I had at $50, and yet, there are guys listing solos still at $100+ and the listings started at $200+ on those.

So, I think that's the cause - folks are picking nutty high prices as not enough is selling to get a solid feel.

Just my take, folks throwing crazy prices out there, and, if it sticks, then, good for them. If they need to sell, they'll take less.

The fact is, prices for hobby/collectible items are never static and often vary drastically. Establishing a "market price" is nearly impossible.

I think what Steve is asking for is eye opening prices paid?

I am always amazed at what Cook Stuff, especially stems, seem to fetch. Likewise Thruster Power Stems.  My own opinion on them is that they were really only "the thing" for about a 6 months to a year, then Suntour, SR,  MCS, Tuf Neck stems arrived on the scene. The latter 2 having better bar clamping and being as strong yet lighter and smaller. Even Redline dropped the Double Clamp very quickly in favor of the Brute. Yet, Cook and Thruster kept pushing the double clamp. Even being co-sponsored by Thruster I absolutely chose not to use their stem.

Conversely, I am always astounded that the complete Cook UNI-Clamps systems do not go for more. I have seen an NOS unit change hands  for 2000-2500. To me that is a crazy steal!! We are talking about an example of bicycle industry innovation manufactured 17 years prior to it being embraced and becoming industry standard. That is history that transcends BMX and extends to all segments of cycling and associated manufacturing. I think the Browning 2-speeds also fall into this category, even though they did not achieve their innovative goal, I love them for what they represent.

Yes... eye opening is a good way to put it.  I agree norms are difficult to establish.  

Another interesting way of thinking about it is "cost to replace".  I mean that's sort of standard appraisal criteria... and it's hard in vintage BMX.  I mean I think putting it in those terms kind of takes the stigma away for those who feel self conscious about prices they've paid.

He paid $25K for Haneys JU6???????? :oof:

Steve, in response to your original post about looking in the Museum's sold section. I know what they were trying for but it is an EPIC fail. Just because its in the sold section doesnt mean it sold or for the price listed. The rules state (in the swap meet section) that when you relist your stuff after three days you are required to mark the old post sold. Ummmmm ok. The Beta section is better but you can still mark stuff sold without selling it.

Peoples willingness to pay stupid prices for stuff, needlessly, is a rising pattern and has priced me completely out of the game. Guess thats noones problem but mine. Life requires my funds elsewhere.....

I agree with you on the UniClamp stems, Greg. I'm not even that much of a Cook fan, but they were way ahead of their time with that and the built in tensioners.

He paid $25K for Haneys JU6???????? :oof:

tell him to call me   :Power.Grin:

The same guy in Thailand offered me $13 000 for my one owner undamaged  JU-6 and my same condition Race inc. drop out and no serial no. P.K. Ripper……….i said no.

• Like 1

Good for you! I give you mad props for saying no! (13k each or for both?)

Seems like $ is not a problem over there!

My reason for saying no was based on what would a guy in Thailand want a bike he would have only found out about in the past few years of the interweb and then when he was over his vintage BMX collecting phase it would be sold on again, no thanks.

• Like 2

Jaime (from Thailand) is a big player in the high end/boutique market, his collection of early SE stuff is stunning, he also has the GJS Big Tube & Nomura market cornered, he just acquired a og blue 20" Nomura that is mind blowing!

He is a good peep that has the best interest of the bike/frame @ heart imo.

B

What fun is it if you pay waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for all of it B? He is a cool guy but personally I think he has more $ then brains. I have heard of people paying a finders fee.....but damn!

We all have paid the piper for this and that but to pay boo-koo for everything, that just smells and looks funny. Like I said, the true die hards will be here to scoop that shit for literally pennies on the dollar when its sold again.

Does the Thai fellow have a bmx background, or is it just an interest that developed recently?

Not sure Steve, he has been around the hobby for a few years though.....he was very 'silent' to begin with and Juan was doing a lot of buying on behalf of him.

Yeah Jon I hear you, but in my opinion it's all relevant, a job paying 500k + pa and your discretionary spending will be different to that of someone earning 50k

We all have vices, might be wagering on the ponies, drinking, smoking or chucking a few dollars at weed for some, others may enjoy accumulating vintage bmx......horses for courses.

B

The Quad pads were worth every penny of $650 (to me....at least) and I have been offered more for them, so I think I did ok with my purchase. Wink wink!

I think with the movement of Juan buying up everything for retarded $ then selling it almost all for the loss was the start of others doing the same thing.

Now we have a guy in Thailand doing the same thing......I have heard serious 'price records' broken since he has jumped on the scene.

12k for 4 Studd stems

25k for a JU6

2500+ for RTT PK's and Diamond Drop out PK's

It all smells fishy to me....ill be here when the stuff needs to be sold for a loss.

Here is a few of my own selling (gouging as Steve Bros would say) records

Mr. Stix Wedge - bought it for $630, sold it for $2500

NOS Comp II and snake belly - bought them as a set for $500, Sold for $1250

NOS SE Rad Pads - bought for $250, sold for $850

2 sets of Son Lite Turbo II hubs in black - one set bought for $300, Sold for 1.5k with Chrome arayas, other set bought off a complete and got for free, sold for 1k.

Money makes the world go round.....it also helps fund the bikes and addiction to build the nicest stuff we can afford. Some people have patience, some don't. Its all money, you cant take it with you when your die....so spend it now!

Haha!

For one thing Jon-the 'guy' in Thailand has more lost change in his couch than YOU have made in the last 10 years.  The money he spends is absolute pocket change.  Secondly it's called discretionary income and I remember you shaking your head when I bought THOSE STUDD stems and it looks like I know what I was talking about.  ...and it wasn't 12 k for the stems-it was just shy of 5 figures and who fuckin cares.  I never thought would ever sell them BUT I got bored and wanted to pay my truck off and buy the wife a MB 550 4 matic.  Jamie is a good guy and IF he so chooses to spend his loot on high end bike parts-what do you friggin care?  I remember when Patrick started buying a lot and you broke his balls about how many sets of Titron Pedals he had-you though 1-2 sets moved to other scoots until he posted a pic of 5-6 sets.  My point, you sound like an jealous man Jon...just my take over the last years about your behaviour.   ...and who cares what you bought and sold items for-it's in poor taste to list stuff like that.

Just be happy you came into the hobby when things were more reasonable.