Sign in to follow this  
Texasbmx

Would you use the new skyways on an 80's restore

I'm restoring an 87 d-tour and debating going with old school mags from the 80's or just picking up a new pair of skyways. What's your opinion on using new skyways for an 80's build?

I'd look at this the same way as the grip discussion from yesterday.  Depends on what's driving you. If you want to build an old school bike, that requires old school parts.

On the other hand if you are motivated to have "the look", and not concerned with having a true old school bike, then retro stuff can suffice.

I wouldn't.

But I'm a purist, so I don't really care for the retro/repop stuff. I have bought new Tufs for new builds though. For me, when I was building, it was more about searching/sourcing the correct parts with the correct patina, not finishing as quick and easy as possible. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Doug

I wouldn't.

But I'm a purist, so I don't really care for the retro/repop stuff. I have bought new Tufs for new builds though. For me, when I was building, it was more about searching/sourcing the correct parts with the correct patina, not finishing as quick and easy as possible. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Doig

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to go era correct. It's just so tempting because they're cheap, but I'm not in a hurry to finish the bike anyway. Thanks

Are you going to ride it a bunch, or just a bit and mainly have it for looks and display? If you are going to ride it frequently, go ahead and buy some of the new ones, and then look for a while and get a really nice set of era correct.

Are you going to ride it a bunch, or just a bit and mainly have it for looks and display? If you are going to ride it frequently, go ahead and buy some of the new ones, and then look for a while and get a really nice set of era correct.

Just cruise around the neighborhood, I'm thinking era correct.

I have both new and old Tuffs on newschool rides and old school rides. 
If the old Tuffs are services properly they roll as good as new Tuffs. 

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Doug

This took me a little while to get through my head.  But once I did, the satisfaction level grew exponentially.  

I would put new school mags on an old school build.  I've actually used them on my Powerlite and Race Inc., but I almost always build a new bike with whatever parts I have at hand.  If I put newer parts on an old bike I still look for period correct parts to swap out with the new stuff.  I don't consider the bike "complete" or "finished" until I have all the correct parts I want on it.  So, yeah, I'd use them until I found something better to replace them with.  It kind of drives me crazy having a new frame and fork that I can't ride immediately, so to get around that I throw whatever I have, new and old, on it to get it finished for instant gratification.  :Liv2ride: