Sign in to follow this  
Texasbmx

Sugino Crank History?

I have a couple questions about Sugino 3pc cranks.. Sorry if I sound like a noob

What are the difference between Maxy cross and super Maxy?

Are Sugino super mighty's good bmx cranks?

What year did they start producing Maxy cross, super Maxy and super mighty's? Trying to go as era correct as possible.

Sugino vs takagi tourney?

Last, what's your opinion on the best early 80's cranks?

Thanks for the help in advance guys,

Noah

Edited by Texasbmx

Maxy/Mighty are roughly early 70s - super Maxy/mighty are mid 70s thru early 80s (Sugino later advanced to Maxy Cross and GT type) which were more bmx specific then the former, which were more for a broad universal usage road/track/exercise - like most brands they would simply update they're lines periodically to provide new design, more fashion then function, as most were the same and worked the same it was just the updated looks to move product.

Takagi Tourney are early 80s ^^^^^^ both these types are relatively equal quality rivals in that market, (along with the suntour vx line) pretty much just boils down to looks, you either liked the look of this vs that - function and quality was basically the same

Prior to those yrs and during - many people ran early higher end track equipment (as the above mentioned were considered more entry level upgrades) stuff like Campy record/pista or Shimano dura ace were considered higher quality and performance - but they were also more technical and required different parts etc - the basic Japanese JIS ran a set that was tapered for more frequent adjustment and easier removal - the more track specific gear (like the higher end Japanese stuff and the Italian brands) ran an ISO type set up were the spindle and slot are square but not tapered so when fitted they basically press and lock in place and are not meant to be fussed with much afterwards.

If you want relative time frames for each - you can do an internet sweep of crank date codes and a few sites will pop up with charts - though some of the Sugino stuff can be a bit jumbled, as different manufacturers, at any given time, for them used different code structure ---- but for the most part the Maxy looking designs are mid 80s or earlier between 70-82 about, most models after that got more streamline and futuristic looking, so they are 82 and up on the time line

By 80/1 as larger riders began to come into the sport (or should I say, as the little guys started getting bigger) the need for more strength and support introduced the chromo tubular cranks such as redline n profile etc and alloys remained more the expert or mini standard, as the tubular so took center stage for the pro sized rider.

I think that should cover most of your quandary .....

Maxy or Super Maxy were entry level road/bmx aluminum 3 piece crank set. Fairly inexpensive comperable to Tourney.

Mighty Tour were mid level road crank. Stronger that Super Maxy and more money. Comperable to Dura Ace.

Super Mighty were high end road crank. A bit stronger and more costly. Comparable to Campy Record crank set. In the late 70s early 80s often sold on Japan made high end road bikes.

Data from 1978-80 era from what I recall of those Sugino cranksets.

On 6/11/2014 at 10:04 PM, Curt said:

Maxy or Super Maxy were entry level road/bmx aluminum 3 piece crank set. Fairly inexpensive comperable to Tourney.

Mighty Tour were mid level road crank. Stronger that Super Maxy and more money. Comperable to Dura Ace.

Super Mighty were high end road crank. A bit stronger and more costly. Comparable to Campy Record crank set. In the late 70s early 80s often sold on Japan made high end road bikes.

Data from 1978-80 era from what I recall of those Sugino cranksets.

I have Sugino GT cranks that were on my 79 Robinson Expert. I don't remember if I changed them when I was younger or they are the original cranks?

If not original, what would you suggest ?

While on this topic I'll throw in my own question. I have a set of Sugino CT cranks. Anyone have a timeline for them?

On 4/23/2021 at 7:23 AM, RL Paulie said:

While on this topic I'll throw in my own question. I have a set of Sugino CT cranks. Anyone have a timeline for them?

This is from a 1982 catalog.

1D015ED4-9BC9-4845-B62E-B79F710E57C6.jpeg

2993E4BE-35F0-44E5-9A2D-2FECF2061072.jpeg

• Like 1

Sugino 82 Specs.  Note the weighs and sizes availablesugino82_03l specs.jpg