Sign in to follow this  
germnest

DG Looptail 26" Roll Call/How many are there?

Ryan, You have some great pics. Interesting that chrome Vulcan has the DG beach cruiser sticker on it huh? Is that original?

Yes its original decals and chrome, ots here in california atrending an occasional strand ride. This bike is complete and is featured on ryans strand ride post on the museum, it is 1 of 10 vulcans that are incovered on these sites!

A few details about the original DG's 26" Vulcan BMX Racing Frame. This frame production used traditional chain stays and seat stays and was constructed with 4130 chromoly.  I dont know the exact number of frames that were produced, it was a los quantity production run, probably less that a total quantity of 100 to 150 max. I could be wrong I'm going off my memory - one of my jobs at DG BMX was to deliver and pick up raw frames to the powder coater  and chrome plating.  Since the parent company Green Duck was both the manufacture and distributor they didn't need to do large quantity production runs,

The Vulcan 26" Loop Tail production started just after I left DG BMX and moved back to Los Angeles. Not long (less that a year)  after I left DG the owners would cease operation and close its doors to DG BMX for good. Based on the what was happening inside the company  I would say that the actual number of  Vulcan 26" Loop Tail's that made in to market was relatively low. Bottom line.. the  Vulcan 26" Loop Tail's are very rare. 

The time spent working in the production shop, handling the post production product finishing, packaging and shipping help me gain a tone of valuable experience that i would put to use when I went to work for WSI - Western Sates Imports the parent company of DiamondBack and Centurion.  

Harry Leary and I would travel together visiting both Japan and Taiwan for DB's bike production.  Awesome experiences visiting SHIMANO Japan, OBC - Oriental Boeki (Trading) Co which is the Parent company of Tioga BMX  and many other fun adventures. 

Notorious, That all makes sense to me, On a different note the super rare DG 26 looptail was originally marketed under the name Tanker cruiser, i have 1 of 3 known on these sites, my guess is they were hard to track since they did not use the traditional DG gussett plate for identification.

So how did the DG looptail compare to the OM? Was there a clear cut superior bike in the 26" class BITD? 

i had Vulcan in the mid-90's. I bought in Shawnee, OK. of all places. I went to the ABA GRands in OKC and hit up a few shops and stumble on to it. My buddy has the Green Duck 3-bar. He lives Ocean City, Maryland and tok it in on  abrade. He sent me pix as he had know Idea what it was. Here's my old Vulcan.

DGVulcan.jpg

Edited by thumperpilot

My buddy has the Green Duck 3-bar. He lives Ocean City, Maryland and tok it in on  abrade. He sent me pix as he had know Idea what it was. Here's my old Vulcan.

That blue Green Duck 3 bar is now in SoCal with Buffardi. 

IMG_2452.JPG

Notorious, That all makes sense to me, On a different note the super rare DG 26 looptail was originally marketed under the name Tanker cruiser, i have 1 of 3 known on these sites, my guess is they were hard to track since they did not use the traditional DG gussett plate for identification.

That would have been done after I left. I don't recall any details about the TANK Cruiser. Sorry. 

Can you post a photo of the TANK?

Is the "Tanker Cruiser" the same as the 3 bar cruiser? I'm a bit confused about this. Was the 3 bar first, then the Vulcan, and finally the looptail?

There was a different style 3 bar DG cruiser called a "Tanker" that was advertised in 1979, and also shown in the 79 DG catalog. To this day, not one of these has actually surfaced. They have straight down tubes and middle bars...only the top tube is curved. 

November 1979, BMX Action magazine.

dg_zpsc53812d7.jpg

1979 DG catalog.

1979catalogpg1.jpg

Joe Buffardi's blue DG 3 bar is a different style, every tube is bent. This bike is one of 3 that are known to exist. There's also an original red paint frame that I'll post pics of shortly, and recently RaceThis acquired one that was painted turquoise over original chrome. 

Other than those, the only other one seen has been in this old photo of Byron.

byron3ah-1.jpg

There was a different style 3 bar DG cruiser called a "Tanker" that was advertised in 1979, and also shown in the 79 DG catalog. To this day, not one of these has actually surfaced. They have straight down tubes and middle bars...only the top tube is curved. 

November 1979, BMX Action magazine.

attachicon.gifdg_zpsc53812d7.jpg

1979 DG catalog.

attachicon.gif1979catalogpg1.jpg

Joe Buffardi's blue DG 3 bar is a different style, every tube is bent. This bike is one of 3 that are known to exist. There's also an original red paint frame that I'll post pics of shortly, and recently RaceThis acquired one that was painted turquoise over original chrome. 

Other than those, the only other one seen has been in this old photo of Byron.

attachicon.gifbyron3ah-1.jpg

Those two ad's jogged my memory.  That i think that 26" Tank Cruiser Cruiser shown in the above two photos where imported from Taiwan. I doubt (I could be wrong) it was made in the USA. 

Is the "Tanker Cruiser" the same as the 3 bar cruiser? I'm a bit confused about this. Was the 3 bar first, then the Vulcan, and finally the looptail?

I think the Tank cruiser shown in the BMX Action Mag feature and DG BMX Catalog was a bike that was imported from Taiwan when Gary Harlow still owned DG.

First Generation -       26" Vulcan BMX Race Frame  with normal seat and chainstays with the reinforcement tube.

Second Generation - 26 Green Duck Cruiser (three bar - looptail) with green duck stickers.

Third Generation -     26 Green Duck Cruiser (three bar - looptail) with more traditional DG moto inspired frame stickers.

Four Generation -      26" Vulcan Looptail BMX Race Frame 

Note: the 26" 3 bars frames are not bmx racing frames. 

My buddy has the Green Duck 3-bar. He lives Ocean City, Maryland and tok it in on  abrade. He sent me pix as he had know Idea what it was. Here's my old Vulcan.

That blue Green Duck 3 bar is now in SoCal with Buffardi. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2452.JPG

Nice, that looks like it might be it. He was going to peel the Duck decals off and I told him to leave it as is. Glad it's out on the scene for everyone to see. 

rxinhed, what’s the story on that?