Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Man Down! If you think you are having a bad day... read this

Many of you know Jason Kraig, he's been active in the community for many years and unfortunately has hit a real rough patch in recent times. He has some very difficult health issues he's working through, and I think we can all easily see how if that weren't tough enough, the situation with healthcare expenses he has to face is really harsh and financially devastating. I imagine that the stress of that alone is not helping his recovery in the least. Anyway... there is a page set up by a friend of his to help him out. Pitch in, if you can.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/3hx4/the-manitou-mustangs-have-a-colt-down-and-he-needs-our-help-with-his-battle-with-cancer-

A lot of people won't click links, so I want to put the text from the link explaining Jason's story.  Like I said... if you think you are having a shitty day or week, this should put things in perspective:

Jason was diagnosed with APL Leukemia on 8/6/12. That day they started chemotherapy treatment which kept him hospitalized for 6 weeks. He was released for 1 day and had complications around his heart call Pericarditis. Once again he was admitted to the hospital and was there another 6 weeks. Once released Jason began out-patient treatment which consisted of going to the hospital every day for 2 months. The treatments started to be less and less until it was once a week and has been that way up until July 2013.

He has also been hospitalized numerous times due to complications from blood clotting (3 times), internal bleeding, Diverticulitis, Pancreas issues, Liver issues, etc... He has a bone marrow biopsy every 3 months to see if the cancer has grown. On 7/26/13 Jason was diagnosed with a Meningioma brain tumor about the size of an egg in his frontal lobe.

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 11.20.22 AM.png

Unfortunately this same day, he found out his dad was diagnosed with Small Cell lung cancer. Hearing both of these diagnoses on the same day was quite a bombshell dropped on our family. On 8/21/13 Jason had the tumor removed, spent four days in the ICU and has been recovering since. His memory is not quite what it used to be, especially his short term memory, and he can easily be confused. He has absolutely NO smell at all, and it has affected his taste, although he won’t admit it.

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 11.20.51 AM.png

On 5/17/14 Jason had a seizure which caused a fractured in his L2 vertebra and it will take 6-8 weeks for this to heal. They believe the seizure was an after affect caused from the delicate surgery of removing his tumor. When we most recently spoke with the Neurologist, he admitted to us that he and his staff we amazed that Jason was able to walk after the surgery. Although the surgeon was confident with his work, the nerve that control the legs, was fully engulfed inside the tumor they removed, and any nick to it, the legs would never work again. When Jason woke up and he moved his legs, it was high fives all around the room. Because of the fracture, they did a bone density test and have diagnosed him with Osteopenia, which is a weakening of the bones caused from him chemo therapy. This is something that should be seen in men around 70 years of age or older.

Now they have him on an anti-seizure medication, and will be starting him on other treatments to strengthen his bones. Because of his health he has been unable to work for over two years now and has caused much stress financially. Medical and everyday costs are outrageous. Medical has reached over $2.3 million, and medications alone are over $13,000 per month which the insurance company only pays partially for. The past few years have been quite a ride for us all, but most importantly Jason has stayed positive and is getting better. He still has a funny sense of humor through all of this, and we know there are still other out there a that are in worse shape than us. They are just all thankful to still be together.

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 11.22.15 AM.png

As I often say I am glad to be alive.

Best wishes to Jason, stay motivated as there is no other option.

Man, talk about a string of bad luck. It would be so easy to cave in. I can see that is not an option with Jason, and I gladly helped out. Wished I could do more. Thanks for the heads up Steve!

Fight the good fight Jkraig.  

Thats heart breaking to read.  It does put things in perspective for sure.  I hope you are getting better Jason. 

Jason's father passed this morning.

Tough times. :(  

This is terrible. I wish Jason and his family the very best. 

Thanks for posting this and putting things back in perspective for me Steve.

My prayers are with Jason. My family is battling a similar situation. It puts things in perspective, I tell you that. 

Claude

Thank you all. I'm still chugging along!!  :rockout:

• Like 5

Glad to see your still lurking around...!!

Hope your well.

Tony

Stay strong Jason!