Sign in to follow this  
Texasbmx

ABA issue number plate decals

Does anybody still make these? The bottom decal that says "OR-1." If so does anybody know the font so I can get some made? Want to re create a number plate. I don't care about the blue part that says "ABA" just the red part.. Need one that says "TX - 5"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221455831396

Edited by Texasbmx

Try Michael Planet BMX

Do you know how to get in contact with him?

I don't know that Michael ever did ABA style plates and decals... but here is his profile page:

http://www.bmxsociety.com/user/3814-planetx/

I think his PM box may be full, but not sure. In any case there is an e-mail address there.

I couldn't figure out how to access his email. I will try on "Bmxmuseum"

Thanks steve

Thanks homie!

i have a few mich. ones if it will help for font/size etc.hit me up for a loaner if you someone to print some up.

I will pm you if I find somebody. Thanks man

Damn I need that bottom one but TEX-4. Anybody know what district TEX-1 is?

They made different versions, that Tex one is later.

As far as I could grasp BITD districts were designated by area code.

In Ca. Cal-11 was all (916) Cal-10 was (209) and Cal-4 was (707).

In my area it was easy to figure out because rivers marked the area codes and if you crossed one the district changed. Could have been counties, but more than one county had the same area code.

I made some earlier ones with a different font.

A.G.

Edited by Contender

That's right!! 209 Cal-10 representin!!!!

Contender, you say that the decal in the pick above is later. In relation to what? I have been trying off and on for years to figure out what years the different decals were used so I can duplicate my plates from the years I raced.

I do have a district decal from Cal-6 (my home district BITD) and I have a pic of my second ABA plate. My first plate was issued at the end of '80 and it had the decal as pictured above with the American flag on the left and the red background-blue lettered "American Bicycle Association" on the right.

My second plate issued at the beginning of '81 had the same decal on the bottom.

After that, beginning with my '82 issue plate the decal was different. It had ABA on the right and left and Cal-6 in the middle. This style lasted up to my last issued plate which was '86, I think.

Well i could be ass backwards then. I have no memory past 83.

Probably I got my first pklate in 80-81?

And had a different font?

I would post pics but have not figured it out since the forum changed.

And I was the guy who sent you reproduction ABA numbers for your plate by the way.

:)

PS. Truly I made 10, 11 and Cal 4 for my buddies.

I never offered them for sale for free only.

I thought it was you that set me up with those. The only reason I even remember some of this stuff is from photos I have.

The second plate I mentioned was on my R&R.

Hopefully I will eventually get all my plates recreated. Right now I just have my last amateur plate done. It is the one in my avatar.

This needs a bump.

Still looking to recreate some local stickers. I need some "TEX-4" decals. Probably like 10 or so, for now.

I never saw the comments above before. I'm pretty sure different areas must have done different things. In 1980 I'm pretty positive Texas decals had "TEX-#" on them.

Still looking for a TEX-4 decal for font, size, etc if somebody can lend me one you will get it back, we can set up a pawn system or better yet if you have one you can sell me. 

And can anybody confirm that in 1982 they changed to the ABA logo on both sides? Sounds right to me. 

Tex, the only confirmation I have is what I laid out in post #14 above. My conclusions were drawn with the dates on my ABA cards issued each year matching the numbers I had with the photos. Was it the same in Texas? I don't know. And it might be possible that during the transition period from one decal style to another that there might have been some overlap from the change of old decals to new.

Tex, the only confirmation I have is what I laid out in post #14 above. My conclusions were drawn with the dates on my ABA cards issued each year matching the numbers I had with the photos. Was it the same in Texas? I don't know. And it might be possible that during the transition period from one decal style to another that there might have been some overlap from the change of old decals to new.

I asked somebody in Texas and he remembers it just the same as you! Now I need to find an original decal to take in to match to a decal store.

Useless trivia: The rider on the original ABA district decal is David Clinton.

Don't think he was ever credited. :)

• Like 2