Sign in to follow this  
ToddH

Race Inc. Models and differences

Anyone know the difference in the frames and models?  I know RM2 is chromoly?   I m guessing there is a RA7, RA8, and RA10?  Whats the differences? 

Im looking to build a Race inc in Aluminum but pro size?  I dont know if there is such thing but.  

Take me to school please!  I had a gold FMF that looked like a race inc.  Should have kept it.  dang it!  

Your FMF was the same frame as the RA7 I'm pretty sure.

looked like that but no better condition though.  

post-1272-1203472603.jpg

Bastian (Race Inc) made FMF, Cycle Pro Foilers, Laguna GT and the Race Incs that looked like that.

Brian Hays will be able to break it down in more detail... maybe others as well.  I'm not sure that Brian gets on line during weekends.

I'm not a Brian hays or anything but I do know how to google search. This is what I found. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

RA7 = most popular & most produced Race Inc frame. Pro sized frame with gussets. Offered from the beginning until late 82 (I think)

RA8 = mini 20" frame with gussets. Offered from the beginning till the end (77-84).

RA9 = The rarest Race Inc. frame.Expert sized

between the RA8 and RA10 and had no gussets. Was supposed to be produced in late 83 and 84 but I think the company folded before many got out. I've seen one ad in Dec 83 BMX Plus for the RA9 and one other pic from someones personal

collection but these things are scarce.

RA10 = Pro sized frame with no gussets. Offered in 83-84. Not alot of these around either. This frame is identical to a PK Ripper looptail but has round front tubes instead of floval.

RA24 = 24" Race Inc cruiser offered from like 82 till the end. Also marketed as the SE Mauler.

RM1 & RM2 were the chromoly frames. I think they were offered from 80 or 81 until the end but I am only going off trying to remember when the BMX Plus test was. I have ads for both the RM1 & RM2 but I can't see the difference at all between them. Even the descriptions seem to be the same.

thank you Texasbmx, thats what I was looking for.  Im a sucker for gussetts  so i ll go with RA7 then.  Thanks for helping me out, truly appreciate it! 

No problem. I went ahead and searched it because I wanted to know the answer too. So the RA7 is the same as the Laguna, Peugeot, and that FMF you have (had?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong Brian. I just got the info off of "Vintagebmx.com"

cool, good data dig!

wheres the like button?  hehe.   Hope this thread helps other members.  I had no idea that it was the same as the lagunas & not sure on cycle pro foilers (now i know) 

Edited by ToddH

Yes I knew I was forgetting one

I'm not a Brian hays or anything but I do know how to google search. This is what I found. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

RA7 = most popular & most produced Race Inc frame. Pro sized frame with gussets. Offered from the beginning until late 82 (I think)

RA8 = mini 20" frame with gussets. Offered from the beginning till the end (77-84).

RA9 = The rarest Race Inc. frame.Expert sized

between the RA8 and RA10 and had no gussets. Was supposed to be produced in late 83 and 84 but I think the company folded before many got out. I've seen one ad in Dec 83 BMX Plus for the RA9 and one other pic from someones personal

collection but these things are scarce.

RA10 = Pro sized frame with no gussets. Offered in 83-84. Not alot of these around either. This frame is identical to a PK Ripper looptail but has round front tubes instead of floval.

RA24 = 24" Race Inc cruiser offered from like 82 till the end. Also marketed as the SE Mauler.

RM1 & RM2 were the chromoly frames. I think they were offered from 80 or 81 until the end but I am only going off trying to remember when the BMX Plus test was. I have ads for both the RM1 & RM2 but I can't see the difference at all between them. Even the descriptions seem to be the same.

Pretty close

RA7 - Pro 20" made from 76-82

RA8 - 20" mini from 76-82

RA9 - replaced the RA8 (no gussets) for 83-84. Its a 20" expert frame

RA10 -  No gusset 20" Pro frame for 83-84 and replaced the RA7

RA24 - 24" cruiser from 80-84

RM1 started in 1979. 20" chromoly Pro frame

RM2 replaced RM1 (in name only) in 1980-84

Race Inc made the FMF, Cycle Pro, Laguna GT, Peugoet, Rampar alloy frames from 76-84 and all the SE alloy frames from 78-82.

Heres the pics to assist with models

RA24

ra24.jpg

RM1&2

rm2.jpg

RA7

20131215_110933.jpg

RA8

ra8.jpg

RA9

ra9.jpg

RA10

IMAG0926.jpg

another view of the RA 10

ra10super.jpg

That SuperBMX bike test was actually a chrome plated RA10. Race Inc found out fast that chrome didnt stick to flexing alloy very well and it wasnt offered very long. Never seen one turn up either.

Posted (edited)

I bought a Race INC. back in 83-84 I assume it's a RA7 (need to investigate I.e. Serial #). Bought new with hutch handle bars/gooseneck, all bearings new at time, All u bought was Frame/Forks, Rest was on you. Had Z-Rimz, Shumano hubs, pedals. Didn't have the money at time, so I went with chrome moly cranks should of went 3-pc crank. Hole for brakes in frame/fork, not sure if this is important or not, pretty sure RA-7 as they were most common (still haft to look). Still have bike Today and was offered money for it but it's not 4-sale just wanna get more info cuz I DO know they are rare. Money offered was up there but didnt want to let it go he came back with better offer and i still said no ... Then doubled offer ... I still said no, Started homework and that was 25 years ago (offers). Now TODAY just curious if I have a good piece or what. Any info deeply welcomed .... Thanx 

Doug

Pic's to follow

Edited by Dougiefresh
Add pic reference

Race Inc's are great. I've collected them for 18 years but there is nothing "rare" about them. They pumped out a bazillion of them. Serial number is coded to tell year only. A serial won't tell you a model. Post pics and I'll tell you year and model and it's $$ value, though if it's not for sale then why does it matter??

nice car!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sco1035 said:

RI Rampar.jpg

Yep, this frame model was only ever sold as a Rampar and Laguna. I see people all the time put Rave inc decals on these. Kind of a min of the RA7 and RA8.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, Brian Hays said:

Yep, this frame model was only ever sold as a Rampar and Laguna. I see people all the time put Rave inc decals on these. Kind of a min of the RA7 and RA8.

I seem to recall a JT clothing ad that had one of those frames with FMF stickers on it? Or am I mistaken? 

In any case cool frame(s).

Ehhhh you may be right because with Bastian, ANYTHING is possible. The FMF frames were normally the RA7 and RA8 but I never say never with Bastian.