Sign in to follow this  
Christian Stitt

anyone have a mr.bmx frame ?

Yes, the generally held view is that when RRS's Joe Claveau won a cruiser race on a 24" in 81... that started the 24 movement, with others beating RRS to full production after seeing their prototype.

No disrespect intended, that's for sure.  

It's just that the 24" time line is fairly well established.

Maybe DY still rode an RRS until JMC came out with theirs?

No, don't think so.

Steve was correct - it was a RRS Frame and fork kit that was owned by DY at one time...  DY was sponsored by RRS in 1980 (for about half the year - this was when he was am...   This is covered on the Wikipedia page for DY.

For those not familiar with the RRS, the rear drop outs were fixed (think road bike) and the American BB was split on the bottom.   Then Aluminum cups were installed that would hold a standard euro square taper BB for 3 piece cranks - the holes for the euro BB were drilled off center, so that the whole assembly could be rotated - thus tightening the chain - and the split would be tightened down via two braze on mounts - This type of setup is common on the front set of cranks on tandem bikes. 

For RRS BMX bike, the chain/rear wheel set up meant the wheel base was always the same.  The cranks moved around and could be set in the "high" position or the "low" position when adjusting the chain tension.  This also meant the brake position didn't change.   You could generally go up or down a tooth on the front or the rear very easily.   Much more than that, and you were swapping the chain out - back then, the half link either didn't exist or wasn't well known.

The rear brakes were true Canti Brakes with a center arc wire, and I am 90% sure the brake arms were custom made for the RRS, as I don't think canti brakes were very common back then (on any bikes)

Last unique feature was "safety" drop outs for the forks - they sort of had a hood or shroud around where the axel nut went, so even if you just put the front wheel on hand tight, it wouldn't fall off the bike...   (I know it has never been an issue, but that was what RRS called a feature)

The RRS typically used an off the shelf Dia-Compe 960 model cantilever brake. Canti brakes were actually fairly common at the time, as they were pretty much the go to design for tandems, touring bikes, and cyclocross bikes. The simplified answer is, most of the cantis available at the time were very wide, for instance the Mafac, which worked great for mud clearance on cross bikes but would have never worked on an RRS because you would have hit your feet on them. They could also cause clearance issuses on some touring bikes with the pannier/bike bags and the Dia-Compe 960 was made low profile to solve the problem, and that same low profile was perfect for use on the RRS.

0 Dia compe 960.jpg

Edited by warthog

cool info... I might split these RRS posts off, or copy them or something. Not sure how to handle it.

Some clarification. RRS actually had their own cantilevers made, or modified the Dia compe ones. At least for some frames. The 960 model didn't have the perfect reach. Germnest on here had some info on them, and I have it archived somewhere. I will dig it out. The RRS cantis are easily indentified, as they are stamped "REAR" where the dia compe stamping normally is.

The eccentric bottom bracket was the same one used on the Schwinn tandems. The first ones were a single piece insert, threaded for a euro bb. Later, they brought out one that was two piece, allowing for the use of one piece cranks, or Redline flight cranks. Those two piece inserts used Hadley sealed bb hardware. They were bored to take the same Hadley bearings. The two piece insert is the same one I ran on my RRS 24.

mr bmx out of wisconsin

7d30e7a7c6d1e45006e720ad788d2f5d_zps17c31fdf.jpg

dd2cb8b040c96e2f7eddbd98cd3e77b8_zpsf9e345c5.jpg

On 1/19/2015 at 10:56 AM, se666 said:

mr bmx out of wisconsin

7d30e7a7c6d1e45006e720ad788d2f5d_zps17c31fdf.jpg

dd2cb8b040c96e2f7eddbd98cd3e77b8_zpsf9e345c5.jpg

That headtube sticker says Salem Oregon 

• Like 1

i don't remember seeing this.  

i'm glad SE666's pics are still here but were there others?  that's a cool frame, i'd like to know more about them. 

On 10/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, steve bourke said:

That headtube sticker says Salem Oregon 

Yes it does. :P

On 10/30/2020 at 1:19 PM, TrulyOdd said:

i don't remember seeing this.  

i'm glad SE666's pics are still here but were there others?  that's a cool frame, i'd like to know more about them. 

this frame was just mentioned on the Boss fb page. sounds like it was a carlo made loop tail Boss restickered for Mr Bmx just like Panda cruisers

ah, ok....thanks steve.   makes sense now.

• Like 1