Sign in to follow this  
Texasbmx

Powerlite bars

Does anybody know that sizes the cruiser, pro and expert powerlite unknurled unstamped bars came in? I have a set and I can't tell what size they are, they seem too short for pro bars, too wide for expert and too tall for cruiser.

I have what I believe to be first gen powerlite cruiser bars... but I actually don't know what distinguishes the generations so I'm not positive.

They match the cruiser bars dimensions shown here.

This is an old image file from an external hard drive, unfortunately I did not label the source or date. Sorry, that's pretty much inexcusable, but 10 years ago we didn't think as clearly about defining the source and date as some of us do now.  That said, these are unknurled and unstamped.

PowerliteBars.jpg

Thanks, that covers it. They're cruiser. Bummer

Expert bars are almost like cruiser but the crossbar is about 1 inch higher.. the cruiser bars are by FAR the rarest and most valuable.. I have 3 sets of PERFECT cruiser bars...seen them go for 300.. Unkurled is collectable ones..  I hear 1st gen. .2nd gen... that is all garbage.. few changes made over the years but there was no GEN changes lol...Mark Rink

Mark, I usually think a difference in generation just means a design change.  What do you feel should define a generation?

I kind of consider all unknurled bars first gen. That is simply because knurling came after the unknurled.  Knurling is a pretty significant change as it differentiates the earliest bars from some that came after.  After that indicator... I don't know any other detail that sets powerlite bars apart for a particular size within the product line.  So, though I understand you may not view it that way, it's just collector convention to designate a definite and discernible design change, such as knurling etc.

Anybody have a set of JR pro or MX in alloy laying around?

Thanks,

I have some alloy powerlite bars... I think they are cruisers.  I'll check when I get back to California next week.  They are spray bombed and ugly.

Thanks Steve, that probably won't work out.

The bike is showroom. Really super clean.

But I thank you.

Just figured out I twisted an info thread into a "wanted", sorry about that.

A.G.

Powerlite_alloy_1.JPG

Powerlite_alloy_4.JPG

Powerlite_alloy_3.JPG

Powerlite_Alloy_2.JPG

I had a text chat with Mark Rink last night about the above ad.  He says the ad is "fake".    That surprised me and so I asked some questions.  Mark then said he was messaging Voris simultaneously and Voris denied ever running the ad.

That was all late last night, so this morning when I had a fresh mind, I asked some more questions and it seemed like Mark was getting irritated as he asked me if I thought Voris was lying.  I did my best to assure him it was nothing like that... I just didn't understand what motivation anyone would have for making a fake ad.   Mark said Voris never used distributors and if anything this must be from Europe as they sometimes made fake stuff there.  He insisted the stickers were wrong and that he stickered the bars himself.

:Idunno:   

Mark doesn't really hide his disdain for collectors... and I understand that in so far as there are people who fabricate bullshit and go around spouting it like it's truth.  I agree... that iS irritating and it happens.  But this is different, I wasn't making shit up, i was just asking questions based on published ads from 1982. Plus, we've all seen the comment here and the interview that Voris did with Jay Stark that mentioned his involvement with making Powerlite bars.  I've tried to make it clear that this site really tries to be different and do real research.  I didn't really get the impression that he sees any difference.

It just seems weird to me that if it was a European ad, that it would have US based Distributors named.  I don't know.  But in any case, it's not a European adverstisment... at least as far as being in a European publication.  It's from Super BMX, May, 1982 issue.  No offense was intended... I don't think any of us were really even aware that saying VDC was involved in some of the power bend bars was even a matter of contention.

VDC_May_82_SuperBMX.jpg

VDC_May_82_SuperBMX_DoublePageScan copy.jpg

C'mon now...that ad isn't fake.

Sorry mark but that ad is documented proof.

• Like 1

Agree, drawing a fucking long bow saying the advert is fake - memories sometimes fade.

Looks real to me

Yes the picture of the ad looks real but is Mark saying its 'fake' as in its an unauthorised ad?

What I do know is theres been lots of unethical and dodgy practices in bmx in those days, and nothing would surprise me.

So I wonder how one would investigate something like this. Who would you check with to confirm the ad was real?

Yes the picture of the ad looks real but is Mark saying its 'fake' as in its an unauthorised ad?

What I do know is theres been lots of unethical and dodgy practices in bmx in those days, and nothing would surprise me.

So I wonder how one would investigate something like this. Who would you check with to confirm the ad was real?

Not sure... but in the advertiser's index on the same page, it says Voris Dixon, as you can see. I guess if it's an unauthorized ad, it can be an unauthorized attribution too. Though I didn't get the impression that Mark had ever seen the ad in the context of the full 2 page lay out... when we were discussing it, I couldn't remember what issue, and just told him that I'd seen it within the past week in an old magazine. So I guess since he said he'd seen it, maybe he'd only seen the isolated ad apparently.

When you say there were "lots of unethical and dodgy practices in bmx in those days", what sorts of things specifically do you have in mind?

Voris made a ton of shit and other companies re-branded them as theirs. Voris has also been ripped off by so called companies by not receiving payment on big orders. Voris has been the heartbeat of many different companies and never really received the recognition that is past due. There was only a handfull of BMX companies dabbling in T State aluminum and Voris was one of them along with SE and some Japan based companies that have been around for decades way before BMX. SR was huge in extrusions and T state alloys. I have seen more alloy product with VDC stickers and stampings on it than any other company out there. Im going to agree with the ad being real. I cant rely on fogged memories anymore.

The ad could have been a negotiation tactic, pay up or im gonna sell these bars with my VDC branding. Who the fuck knows but the non payment thing was not uncommon and it happened a lot back then.

Edited by Joe Buffardi

Yes, lots of stories of unpaid orders, people disappearing with sample products, frame builders who ran out of dropouts used anything else that will fit(no one will notice), magazines that give favourable test write ups that coincide with a full page ad of their product, Pro riders not getting their money, frame builders who use the same jigs for supposed different frames, Renny Roker....yeah the Voris Dixon, Lyn Kastan & even Craig Reynolds etc interviews gives a good idea of what it was like in the industry back then. Incredible days!

Edited by gtho

I will say that it seems like Voris and the Rink family are currently on very amicable terms, and have never given any indication that it was anything but good terms since back in the day.  My point is... I don't think there's any reason to speculate there was anything shady going on.

I'm just surprised that this ad is even contentious... I don't really see what the problem is with a co-branded product ad.

Mark says the sticker placement is wrong and that is another sign of shenanigans in his book.

It just seems to me that it was so long ago, if there was a brief moment where Voris did run a a bar ad... one could easily understand how that might be totally forgotten.  1982... 30 plus years could make specifics very foggy.

This is all very bizarre.

Mark Rink friended me on FB and then had a "go" at me in a private message because I had the audacity to correct Perry Kramer on FB when he posted a pic of a 98-99 PK Ripper that showed up in a shop he was at and said it was probably a 95. I politely explained the difference in the post, as I know PK was long gone from SE by then and Mark got downright shitty with me. Deleted and blocked. 

Hey its ok man we still love you!

Speak for yourself!!!

:)

This is all very bizarre.

Mark Rink friended me on FB and then had a "go" at me in a private message because I had the audacity to correct Perry Kramer on FB when he posted a pic of a 98-99 PK Ripper that showed up in a shop he was at and said it was probably a 95. I politely explained the difference in the post, as I know PK was long gone from SE by then and Mark got downright shitty with me. Deleted and blocked.

I would really like to know what he got mad at you about