Sign in to follow this  
Texasbmx

Powerlite bars

Not related to the the original topic but this definitely goes right along with the gest of the comments. I'm a freestyle guy and I have been fairly lucky recently at being able to acquire some gems. My latest purchase is an extremely rare 84' Powerlite Freestyle frame and fork in original finish/decals. To my knowledge this is the only surviving example in original finish and one of two known. Looking at the bike, I noticed the frame shares similar design elements such as the low profile standing platform, double thick welded dropouts and the forks look virtually identical to my 84' GHP Trix which was made by Voris. I made note of this and Mark jumped all over my ass, again reminding me of how he put the stickers on it. My conversation with Voris informed me that he remembers making bars and forks for Steve but didn't remember any frames. He also confirmed that they were Powerlite dropouts on the fork. Marks response was that all the early freestyle bikes used that fork... (sorry, wrong guy to tell that to...) The only fork that shares that design are forks that Voris built... First gen Free Agent Free Flyte, VDC Freestyler, GHP Trix and obviously the Powerlite Freestyle. The design is a signature trademark VDC design. Marks response was that Voris' signature was a V...

Here's a pic of the original advertisement, a couple pics of the frame and the last is my GHP Trix for comparison.

powerlite8555a5e36197_lg.jpg

nagnlr55b526c807_lg.jpg

nside155b30c245e_blowup.jpg

10608725_10204689132014567_203016205592877809_o.jpg

Edited by Hrkhotrods
  • Like 1

Expert bars are almost like cruiser but the crossbar is about 1 inch higher.. the cruiser bars are by FAR the rarest and most valuable.. I have 3 sets of PERFECT cruiser bars...seen them go for 300.. Unkurled is collectable ones..  I hear 1st gen. .2nd gen... that is all garbage.. few changes made over the years but there was no GEN changes lol...Mark Rink

2 years ago they went for 300. There's a set for 150 BIN on eBay and NOTHING! Has anybody ever seen a part lose half its value that fast??

Expert bars are almost like cruiser but the crossbar is about 1 inch higher.. the cruiser bars are by FAR the rarest and most valuable.. I have 3 sets of PERFECT cruiser bars...seen them go for 300.. Unkurled is collectable ones..  I hear 1st gen. .2nd gen... that is all garbage.. few changes made over the years but there was no GEN changes lol...Mark Rink

2 years ago they went for 300. There's a set for 150 BIN on eBay and NOTHING! Has anybody ever seen a part lose half its value that fast??

I don't really remember them going for that much on a regular basis, but I'm not a market watcher in the least, so could well be.

I've been trying to figure out which Powerlite bars were out first and when exactly, and when they changed. 

"To my knowledge the early powerlite bars, early 80's had no knurling, thin cross bar and a white decal with a red p in the middle, moving toward the mid 80's they had no knurling, thin crossbar and the chrome decal with the chequreboard on chrome decal/ Late 80's they moved to bar knurling, ends of the bars were stamped with the version eg PRO and they had a yellow p decal on the front of the bar !"

Found this posted by  jon016847 

Does this sound right to y'all? No difference except for decals until the later 80s? 

I've seen some early Pro bars that are a full 29". That ad shows 28". What is up with that?

When exactly did they come out?

I have what I believe to be first gen powerlite cruiser bars... but I actually don't know what distinguishes the generations so I'm not positive.

They match the cruiser bars dimensions shown here.

This is an old image file from an external hard drive, unfortunately I did not label the source or date. Sorry, that's pretty much inexcusable, but 10 years ago we didn't think as clearly about defining the source and date as some of us do now.  That said, these are unknurled and unstamped.

I found where you found this, it is an old thread on here. No date is given.

There is the 1982 VDC ad that shows the aluminum size bars. I wonder which ad is earlier. Mark mentioned that Powerlite always made chromoly bars, so I bet the ad above was first.

However, I read about Powerlite bars being wider than 28" and have seen a couple sets, so that ad can't be that much earlier than the VDC aluminum bars ad, because in between 1981-1982 I'm pretty sure they went from 29 or 29.5" to 29".

because in between 1981-1982 I'm pretty sure they went from 29 or 29.5" to 29".

Really?  That's really wide.  I thought the standard for pro bars was about 28"

I thought so too but I've seen a few sets that are wider. Maybe they just slipped out extra wide