Sign in to follow this  
COASTY

STR. yeah that STR.

"Is there a list of trusted sellers? What? Coz you have no idea what's what, dont know how to check what's what nor have the interest to find out whats what? So that list will make it easy for you. Right?"...Actually probably most of what you wrote was directed towards me!!

I think this was directed towards me?!!! I'm just asking for a little insight because of all the repop poop that's flying around. I apologies if that got you upset. That was no my intention. I'm just getting back into collecting after nearly 12 years out and I was hoping to get some knowledge from some members on here. I've been on other forums but this is by far the best!!!

Thanks to this site I now know that JC makes fake repop frames / forks etc...so that's a good thing right? If I have got your nose out of joint by asking for help then I apologize!!! Any help to make things a little EASIER for people like me would be great and I would appreciate ANY help. Everyone has to start somewhere and I need all the help I can get from the REAL collectors out there who want to share some info!!

All this other judging stuff is way over my head and I just don't really get it. So I'll leave it up to the experts (or non experts!!!) 

I cant talk on anyone elses behalf but the more effort you put into researching, checking, tracking down stuff BEFORE asking questions the more you will be appreciated by others.

Edited by gtho

I'm still here and I know of an apparret NOS G boy(with metallic paint) that wasn't, which was sold and now has decals on it that are repops... how do I know.... Well fuck me...

Pisses me off!

I am proud to say I am a aussie collector that doesent own any repop pads or jc items ..

I am also a bmx show promoter (Hurstbridge show & shine ) ..

What happened in Sydney over the weekend wasn't good at all for the show scene and has made me think about ways to improve judging at the show im involved with .. 

I drove 9 hours to go to the show on sunday and must say I had a great day..

I also had a bike that was in the category that had the big fuck up in (1979 Torker) but I don't go there for trophys (even though I did win 1 for best display !) I go there to let the peeps out there see what ive been collecting and building and have a chat with like minded people ...

• Like 1

It was good to finally meet you too mate.

I am proud to say I am a aussie collector that doesent own any repop pads or jc items ..

I am also a bmx show promoter (Hurstbridge show & shine ) ..

What happened in Sydney over the weekend wasn't good at all for the show scene and has made me think about ways to improve judging at the show im involved with .. 

I drove 9 hours to go to the show on sunday and must say I had a great day..

I also had a bike that was in the category that had the big fuck up in (1979 Torker) but I don't go there for trophys (even though I did win 1 for best display !) I go there to let the peeps out there see what ive been collecting and building and have a chat with like minded people ...

Best collection of Torkers i,ve ever seen.

thanks Gazzz what can I say mate ...im a torker addict ...lol ..

was great to meet up with you aswell coasty !!

Don,t post on her much but this is my Laguna that is now the winner for what its worth and yes some of us Aussies do value a genuine oldschool bike.1976 Laguna .Back Tyres the only thing not around the right era but i ride it occasionally and had some dramas with 30 odd year old tyres. 

20140915_085126.jpg20140915_085135.jpg

Am waiting for you to start a thread about that Laguna Gazzz. 5 pages on that str is enough

Am waiting for you to start a thread about that Laguna Gazzz. 5 pages on that str is enough

Might just do that gtho been a long haul with it.

I was at the show on sunday and almost choked on the air i was breathing when they announced this FAKE had won the pre 1979 class.

I paid my $20.00 and entered the 1980-1989 race bike class with a 1981 Chrome JMC Black Shadow which had about 50% parts from from my race bike i raced in late 1981 and the first few months of 1982 with photos from the time plus my JMC factory race gear.

The bike was an exact replica right down to black A'ME fini grips, NOS yellow label comp 3's, original Haro series one plate and not a single refinished part and lost to a 1984 JMC Darrell Young that had been done in a black smoke finish and Bullseye pedals made in the past few years…… just like race bikes where in 1984, yeah right.

Choked on the air. haha. What was the reaction when it was announced-didnt anyone speak up or call out? or even mumble mumble to each other?

Regarding the 80-8 class unless the judges put up a different judging criteria then we should correctly assume an old school bmx show is for old school stuff right? That DY with the plate maybe couldve won peoples choice instead since it had new stuff on it.

I saw pics of your Shadow and its pretty damn good.

Gazz just found your Laguna thread on ozbmx, haha Its gonna be a late night for me...

http://www.ozbmx.com.au/index.php?showtopic=62724&page=1

ooops, The JMC I saw had Oakley 3s and Sonlites

Edited by gtho

My take on bike beauty contests is that if your purpose is to win one, then you're in it for the wrong reason. Granted, the dude with the STR is a douchebag but I would imagine, aside from that, the people who went to that event had a great time reminiscing and meeting friends.

And this is what the events are about (to me at least.) Yes, some of my bikes have won but those who know me know that more often than not I am too busy being the freaking social butterfly getting reacquainted with people I haven't seen in week, months and even years. Sometimes I don't tag my bikes and more often than not I forget to put pedals on or something. If I don't win, it doesn't bother me as I already had a great time talking to Steve, JJ, Spur, Red, Spike, Rick and Patti Twomey, the late great Jim Melton, PK,  Adam and countless others that I have been blessed to be associated with in this little "hobby" of ours. (Apologies to the other names I did not mention as it would fill page upon page of names)

Mind you, I don't mind winning a contest but as is the case of the last 4 or 5 awards that the bikes (not me) received, the award went to person who I originally acquired the frame from.

My joy at bike events comes from meeting people and seeing what are now quickly becoming senior citizens (like me) look at one of my bikes, smile and point out to themselves or to the kids how they had one back in the day.  If even one person does that, I'm stoked because in my own messed up way, I already won the event.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

My take on bike beauty contests is that if your purpose is to win one, then you're in it for the wrong reason. Granted, the dude with the STR is a douchebag but I would imagine, aside from that, the people who went to that event had a great time reminiscing and meeting friends.

And this is what the events are about (to me at least.) Yes, some of my bikes have won but those who know me know that more often than not I am too busy being the freaking social butterfly getting reacquainted with people I haven't seen in week, months and even years. Sometimes I don't tag my bikes and more often than not I forget to put pedals on or something. If I don't win, it doesn't bother me as I already had a great time talking to Steve, JJ, Spur, Red, Spike, Rick and Patti Twomey, the late great Jim Melton, PK,  Adam and countless others that I have been blessed to be associated with in this little "hobby" of ours. (Apologies to the other names I did not mention as it would fill page upon page of names)

Mind you, I don't mind winning a contest but as is the case of the last 4 or 5 awards that the bikes (not me) received, the award went to person who I originally acquired the frame from.

My joy at bike events comes from meeting people and seeing what are now quickly becoming senior citizens (like me) look at one of my bikes, smile and point out to themselves or to the kids how they had one back in the day.  If even one person does that, I'm stoked because in my own messed up way, I already won the event.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

name dropper :nana:

(Apologies to the other names I did not mention as it would fill page upon page of names)

You are dead to me sir! Good day. I SAID GOOD DAY!!  :lol:

To be honest I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the bikes. I picked out a few that looked right including Damons bike (needs red KKTs and Pinch less flights haha) and most did absolutely nothing for me.

Like Rick I go to see the people and catchup. Some guys I hadn't seen in a long time.

Then again, there's that Hays guy.....

I think it's spelled Hayes.....

I've seen him referred to as "Brain Hayes."

I got beat at show with a bike that looked refinished with parts that were not really era correct.

I was beat here with era correct parts ond OG finishes, and a refinshed bike beat me out.

Just did not want to do it anymore after that. 

I've seen him referred to as "Brain Hayes."

You two be so funny. The brain is cuz Im the smartest man alive. Trust me, Rick knows the correct spelling as he follows me around FB correcting all my grammatical errors :biggrin:

To all you Aussies reading this.

Billy, I never asked the owner because I never saw the bike until someone posted a pic of it after the show (10:30pm Sunday night) . Damon mentioned it but I never saw it. I walked past his display because they did nothing for me. He told me about a Quad but didn't say it was an STR1.

I started this thread AFTER because I wanted to know if it was real. 

The owner is well known and I could of asked him afterwards but I didn't need to when I saw the one on ebay that was posted on here. I never knew JC was making them. That's why I asked.

I hope you guys will one day understand why this site is very anti-repop. It's to protect new collectors and to educate the general public overall.

The guys bashing other aussies on OZ are no different to the guys on here that spoke their mind. 
Passionate mob aren't we? 

I'm going away for the weekend. 

L8tr