Sign in to follow this  
sodbuster

Kawasaki BX200 revisit.

Yes I admit I don't put as many bikes together as I used to. Space has more to do with that than lack of passion for the bikes. So I still manage to turn one out now and then. I am also not known for selling many bikes either. I've gotten to the point with all of this that I am more into a curate and maintain mode with my bikes than I am with hunting, gathering and building them. So these days I have been going back and looking at some of my past work as far as my builds, and survivor finds as well. I'll give them a good looking over and see if there is anything that needs attention beyond just a cleaning. I've always had a short list of changes and improvements I have come to realize or discover that some of my bikes need. Even the survivors! 

My philosophy on this is simple. If I have a survivor example of a production complete bicycle and it is not famous for any reason. (Other than where it sits in the BMX historical timeline.) If said bike is missing any of it's original parts I am not above replacing said missing original part with a suitable "original" replacement. 

Such is the case with My Kawasaki BX200. I have had the bike many years, and it was one of my earlier finds in the hobby too! When I got it it was missing two things though I only knew about one of them at the time. It was missing the pedals and it was also missing the black plastic "boots" on the lower part of the fork. I solved the pedals long ago. I have been looking for a set of those plastic boots for years. That is until BigFire struck!

Our very own BigFire reached out to me via facebook and clued me into a set on EvilBay so I snapped them right the hell up! I got the grand old broad out of storage gave her a wipe down then put on the long missing boots. 

Before. (With plastic fork boots missing.)

BX200.jpg

And after. (Boots installed.)

019 (898x1024).jpg

006 (824x1024).jpg

008 (682x1024).jpg

024 (683x1024).jpg

030 (1024x684).jpg

I also run this cool clip on number plate set up I found. Mainly because it is the only bike I have it fits on. HA!

031 (1024x684).jpg

034 (1024x896).jpg

043 (1024x683).jpg

036 (1024x961).jpg

044 (1024x682).jpg

047 (683x1024).jpg

053 (1024x647).jpg

It's looking like it should now! Not that it was bad to begin with, now it looks just that much more correct. Thanks Steve!

• Like 1

Rad bike.

What were the first forks you had on there?

so cool you found some appropriate boots... that doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be easy to find!

Rad bike.

What were the first forks you had on there?

It always had it's original forks Patrick. My Kawi fork was just missing the black plastic "boots" on the lower part of each blade. 

so cool you found some appropriate boots... that doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be easy to find!

They certainly do not come around often. I know what I needed to see when I looked at them. Once I knew they were real I couldn't hesitate. 

so said, so done !!!!!  you SIR are a keeper of the flame !!!!!!!

Those tires ....... Craziness !

But of course they are original to the bike. Other than seeing these on other Kawasaki examples I've only seen one other set of these tires in the wild. They were used on the only one of those Cook Bros monoshock frames that I know of to actually get built! (Not Code Blue's bike.) They looked like they were new and freshly mounted to the new wheel set. When I saw it at a show I was kind of torn about it because the bike looked good. But I knew what the tires were and thought them better suited to a Kawi restoration. But that was me. :rockout:   

Hi peeps...Since my next build is no stranger to this group, thought I'd use an existing thread to show off my latest build. This Kawasaki came my way recently. Its mostly stock, with a back rim upgrade to a heavier Femco type rim. As of today, I scored the OG wheelset, not shown in this round of photo's. But, this was the bike I first saw in a magazine, which awakened my BMX reality. Mid 70's...I remember drooling over these frames with shocks!!

DSC08793.JPG

DSC08798.JPG

DSC08796.JPG

DSC08792.JPG

• Like 2

Heres a few more closeups..

DSC08800.JPG

DSC08795.JPG

DSC08801.JPG

• Like 1

looking good, Aaron. 

Oh, man. I have long admired these frames. Interestingly enough, the one that I have long admired, on BMXmuseum, has a very similar number plate to yours, "Sodbuster". I'm a big fan myself.

You can check out the "link" here: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/kawasaki/10

I've been loving these for a while and would love to get my hands on one. I was surprised when I just checked eBay a second ago and found multiple for sale. Oh, boy. Two are just framesets, one is a package with two framesets, a set of cranks, and 3 wheels (1 of which is apparently original), one has webco mags, and one looks somewhat original. All are more or less in suspect condition. All are too expensive for me at the moment, but I hope I can add to the list of people that have one of these on here some time. Member "reilley1" and "oldbuzzard" do too, apparently. "Leviathan" has a frame?

One of my favorite designs. Obviously gave inspiration for the Race Incs and PK Rippers, of course they were welded by the same guys. Thanks for sharing your story, "Sodbuster", and thank you both for the pics. 

Regarding frame construction, I love how the front half looks like a Foiler, FMF welds and gusset work.

FYI, I bought so much to build this bike, i got almost enough spare parts left including a whole frame to build a 2nd one...

Edited by Cycle24-7

Regarding frame construction, I love how the front half looks like a Foiler, FMF welds and gusset work.

FYI, I bought so much to build this bike, i got almost enough spare parts left including a whole frame to build a 2nd one...

Let's see it  :OSshuffle:

I think I read the BX200 is aluminum and the BX100 was the steel one (that came in green.) Can anybody confirm this? Are they the same parts otherwise?

yes most parts are the same some alum.bikes had steel front ends and handlebars

some alum.bikes had steel front ends and handlebars

yep! like mine.

• Like 1

some alum.bikes had steel front ends and handlebars

yep! like mine.

How many years did they make these?

Two years I believe '75 & '76.

they actually came out in 1974.. but I don't think they were in production until 1975..... I have a couple and the frames are slightly different but I don't know which is 75 or 76

Edited by big fire
  • Like 1

yes I believe your right Sod... I have a couple and the frames are slightly different but I don't know which is 75 or 76

Maybe the 76s had the steel front end parts?