Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Tried to ride my graphite tuff II's

Decided to change up a bike I have, and mounted up a set of graphite Skyway tuff II's that I've had for a while now.  Never had tuff wheels prior to this.

I guess I'm doing something wrong, could not keep the tire seated on the rear wheel.  Put the og comp III yellow label on there... everything looked fine.  Pumped it up... yes, had to do so slowly to keep the tire seated, but all looked fine.  Pumped it up, hand cranked the cranks... everything fine. Turn it right side up, readjust brakes and all systems seem to be go.

Launch the bike, sprint across the street and within 50 yards, the tire peels off the wheel.

Go back home, re-mount it all, all looks good.

Launch bike, crank hard across the street, and again... the wobble kicks in, this time I pull over and sure as shit, the tire bead is off again in one spot.

What's going on here?  Yes... tires are old, yes the wheels are old, but come on... it's like there isn't a firm enough bead, and there's no lip on the rim for it to catch on.

first of all, what are you doing riding on yellow labels?   :double.take:

tuff's are known to have that problem.   just a guess but maybe the old tire has lost it's elasticity and stretched a bit.  maybe try a new set of cheng shin's. 

first of all, what are you doing riding on yellow labels?   :double.take:

:Liv2ride:

Yeah that was a problem even BITD, nothing like sitting in the gate and your back tire blows out because your tire came of the bead. Get you some plain black Kenda knobbies in 1.75 and you may have better luck.

I had the exact same problem on my 1st gen graphites too. Fronts were fine but the rear always peeled off when I rode anything other than racing. I used comp 3's on the rear and racing they were fine. As soon as I rode the streets with them I had the same trouble. Try using hair spray to make the bead tacky. It works. 

first of all, what are you doing riding on yellow labels? :double.take:

You're missing out.

As you pumped up the tire, did you "massage" the tire so it sat evenly on the mag. I have never had a problem with a tire popping off a mag or a spoked rim. Before anyone says "Jon thats because you're a little guy"..... Yes, I'm short but I weigh 160lbs, not 125lbs like I should.

What I normally do is pump the tire up to around 10/15lbs then take both hands and wiggle the tire on the rim/mag while pumping it up to the right psi (normally 35/40 I put in it no matter if its a NOS or used tire)

I'll try it again, but I did try to make sure it was all seated properly as I pumped it up.  Especially of course after the first time it came off, when I went back I made sure the tire sidewall was tucked neatly and as evenly as possible into the wheel wall.  Took less than 6 or 7 cranks for it to start to pull away and begin coming off the wheel.

Just looking at it... I could see how a different tire with a more prominent bead might fair better.

There must be a way... if Andy Patterson and Richie Anderson could keep the rear tire on a tuff wheel, then I should be able to keep the tire on because I'm not torqueing out like they would have been.

I had the same problem BITD..like there was no lip to catch the bead on the inside of the Tuff Wheel. That's why my graphite sat in the shed until my mom threw them away a few years sgo (thanks mom!)

I had the newer graphites a few years back, and remarked at how slippery they were.. and I nearly always run Tuffs.

I didn't have the same problems with Tuff I and II's.

I would wager that certain tires work better with graphites. Try a friend's Comp II's or Bridgestone's and see if that helps (you may have to try fat/fat also)

Obviously, stay the hell out of the gym. You're clearly way too strong for those plastic wheels if you can torque a tire off of them.

More seriously, I think a tire change to new tires sounds like a good idea.

I never understood the production reason for not putting a bead on the Tuff Wheels.

Even as kid with lathe experience I toyed with the idea of cutting just a slight relief for a bead.

But never did.

Yes, it is odd that wasn't addressed, Andy.  Interesting too that I haven't seen this issue discussed much, despite the fact it seems a lot of us have faced the same issue.