Sign in to follow this  
carbizguy

Early moto - '70's innovations

Lately I've been really intrigued with the 70's stuff, I searched the site and found a lot of cool stuff spread all over. So, I thought it might be useful to make a single thread for everyone to post and discuss the innovators and designs of the 70's. Custom frames, trick parts and moto gear that was created before '78 Here's one for starters..

Bike - ette

1388898665_50e7668409_o.jpg

post-178-132918744292.jpg

• Like 1

Mike Devitt made it possible to have Moto x bars, stems, and seat struts early in the game. he also customized a Schwinn stingray and turned it into a 2 spd. moto x mean machine.

Edited by Joe Buffardi

I love it.

Yea he did Marcos. I think that was the only shot of that bike with the tank on it. In all the other pics of it I've seen the tank is removed. I'm willing to bet once the bike was actually raced the tank just got in the way. I'm at work right now but you bet I'll be posting anything I can find for this thread from home over the next few days! WOOT!!

• Like 2

wow grate thread love the old black and white pictures. one of these days I will build / have a MX Stingray . for now I will just be happy with my Apple krate..

Joe, that bike is so amazing! You kicked the hell out of it.

And Patrick, that hack photo is IT. Man, would have been so great to race with a partner bitd. Must have been exciting: planning it all out, working on the gear. Like doing baja in a VW.

OK let's kick off with a little obscure R&R trickery.

R&R CR-1.jpg

Who's got one with a front gusset like that one above? Post it up!

A full Cro-mo frame offerd in sept of '75? Sweet!

The R&R that never was. or none survived to tell the tail

ALU-1.jpg

speaking of obscure and seldom seen here are a pair of Whitney Marine adverts.

WM-1.JPG

WM-2.JPG

So good we took a patent out on it! 

pat236609_3.JPG

OOPS! Back to the drawing board for the Motmag II!!

CookBrosSBar4.jpg

Hey were not forgetting our Brothers Of The Fraternity Of The Hack aka BOTFOTH either! (Hey! Say it don't spray it.) 

RBShackLundEncinas.jpg

RICH??? What's that all about!

Leapin! Gurneys!! what in the hell is the the OM is ridin' with that crazy bottom bracket on a rigid frame no less.

Gerney ad.jpg

BIA-1.jpg

Let's keep leaping along. Marvin Church on the all aluminum Triple A monoshock.

church&tripleA.jpg

And where can you learn to do all these cool ass moves on all that high zoot equipment? Well right here buddy! That's right my friend for just the slim price of just four point nine five somalians you can be the next hot shoe hero to make the pit tootsie's swoon!

021.jpg

• Like 3

here's a couple.

Cook Bros. introduces sealed bearings to bmx.  (bicycle motocross news feb. 77)

cook_bearings_bmxnewsfeb77.JPG

Superbyke stem aka Tuf-Neck  (bicycle motocross news feb. 77)

superbyke_tufneckA_bmxnewsfeb77.jpg

suerbyke_tufneckb_bmxnewsfeb77.jpg

webco stem and bike stand.

webco_stem_catalog.JPG

and handmade, xerox'd bmx race flyers!!  

BillHemrickPresents_race_flyer_TrulyOdd.jpg

• Like 1

handmade Haro plates (first appeared in BMXA (aug. 78).   this is the first BMXA cover appearance of one being ran by brent patterson (dec. 78)

haro_plate_bmxafeb78.JPG

two wheelers forks (released earlier), redline double clamp stem and webco mags. (BMXA Jan. 77)

two wheelers redline stem webco mag bmxajan77.JPG

cook brothers introduces sealed bearing hubs. (BMXA Jan. 77)

cook bros sealed bearing hubs bmxajan77.JPG

1975 I think? Thom Lund with Bob Phillips 

Lund_BobPhillips.bmxs.jpg

Bob Phillips BMXNews May 1975

"That is a 26" Red Line squareback in the ad. yes, it did exist. Linn Kasten built Bob Phillips a cruiser in 1975 by special request. it was raced. unfortunately for history, it was stolen out of bob Phillips' garage in 1976."

-- as told To Tim Cook, by Bob Phillips himself. 2006

BobPhillips.Dirtmaster.May75.BMXN.bmxs.jpg

wow nice ones Sod, the first R&R in '75 is friggin awesome! 

Ugh patrick I always loved the webco stem, but that superbyke was a huge one.   :rockout:

Ok I got time for one more tonight.

Here is another of the Bike-ette sting ray. plus a pic from the Bike-ette catalog photo shoot. 

tb7web.jpg

bike-ette2.jpg

Thom Lund on the left, Tom Finvirs center unidentified jumper to the right! PEACE!

When 1975 kicked off Matthews was one of the ballers in BMX. With their patented girder fork and producing such eye candy frames like the TR1 trials nobody could doubt it.

BMX_News_07_75_Page_32___TR_1.jpg

Another milestone in early '75 was the introduction of the Ashtabula line of BMX parts for 20 inch bikes.

007b.jpg

that little blip kind of put the plastic kit companies on notice the trend was inching more to go than show.

bossmx.jpg

It wansn't enough to look the part the product had to be an honest performance improvement.

Performance and light weight were the watch words gaining momentum in '75 so by the time the market for '76 was gearing up Matthews was starting to loose some luster and soon enough found itself in a game of catch up.

Early Laguna distributors ad. 

007a - Copy.jpg

Matthews for '76

007a.jpg

This last one is for a goof.

yamaha-factory2.jpg

The Yamaha motocross team having a little fun.

so awesome Brian, i've had dreams about that Bike-ette. What was the story on the wheels, do you know?

so awesome Brian, i've had dreams about that Bike-ette. What was the story on the wheels, do you know?

Not quite sure on the wheel set. Joe may know this one as he's had an opportunity or two to discuss the bicycle with Mike D. But if I were to guess I'd go with the same Swedish manufacturer on the hoops that was used for the early Mossberg MX. I can't remember the name though. I would venture to say that 20 inch S-2 size rims in 36 spoke were scarce as the standard was 28. As far as what hubs were used I have no clue. Something off of a 10 speed for the front, no doubt. But I swear I see a coaster brake arm in the picture. With a 2 speed set up to boot!  

A very complete survivor example of a Mossberg MX

MX-7.jpg

Shifting gears myself a little here the Mossberg MX story is kind of interesting in itself. Hitting the market in early part of 1974 I think these are some of the earliest examples of a BMX complete.

From the book; Mossberg More gun for the money.

"in early 1973, Mossberg purchased the stock of the HP Snyder company of Little Falls,NY. " At the time we bought Snyder, they mostly made bikes for DP Harris under the "Rollfast" name, as well as contracts for Montgomery Ward. Shortly thereafter, we started selling them to Western Auto, Sears, and other distributors we had contracts with for the firearms and other products. Mossberg marketed their bicycles under their own brand rather than Snyder. Most of these bikes were sold to the contract market, and were therefore never stamped with the Mossberg name, but those sold to the smaller accounts did carry the Mossberg logo on the frame-a distinctive crest sheild in red,yellow,and blue with armored helmet above the shield and full Mossberg name below the emblem. Around 1976, Mossberg lost their big contracts with DP Harris and Wards, and closed the bike business."

MX-1.jpgMX-2.jpg

Sold under a couple of names and styles.

MX-3.jpg

An opportunity missed?

MX-5.jpg

One of Mossberg's contracts to manufacture bikes for in it's four short years as a bike maker was rollfast.

MX-4.jpg

Two things about this shot get me. First the price. You got allot of bike to flog for 100 bucks!. Second is the tank. Yea it's kind of cool but it covers up equally cool twin top tubes. So it begs the question; How much trimming to the tank had to be done so it would fit the twin top tubes? 

MX-6.jpg

• Like 1

awesome info Sod, I recently got that same issue of Bicycle Journal I like those publications.

Well here's one, obviously light alloy BMX rims hit the scene during this time. there were the big names like Araya and Weinmann but there was also one called the Super Pro MX by C&G!

superpro_rims.jpg

Pre-Ambrosios. I've wanted a set for a while

MSS wheel guard

BMX Plus feb 79

image.jpg