Sign in to follow this  
relentlessmx

The abundance of 'NOS' Oakley grips

What is everyone's thoughts on the Oakley 1's that keep popping up for sale? They are all without boxes and look like they were just poured....zero 'shelf wear' and when one set sells, another mint condition set without a box pops up. Mainly in black and red (2 of the harder to obtain colors, ya?)

Could someone have talked their way into a backdoor deal to use the molds? Does A'ME still have the molds, or does Oakley have them secured in a vault?

whoa... I haven't seen this trend at all, is it always the same seller?

It's all very foggy, but wasn't there a fake oakley grip scandal a number of years back that played out on the Museum?  Actually I remember there was, but can't remember which Oakley model were in question.

Don't buy NOS unless you find it yourself or a homie finds it himself.

I remember the drama you're talking about, Steve.

And if I remember correctly, it was repop Point 5's in black that everyone was getting duped with.

I've been watching the "flood" of NOS Oakley 1's in black and red and there are some very reputable seller's offering them - so I'm not 100% convinced that they are repops at this point.

Having said that, this thread will make me look a little closer from now on.

PJ :)

I know a couple years ago a guy at a shop had a dude walk in with a box of NOS grips. But, they were boxed....

My take would be, without the box, be a bit suspicious. I hear ya - how many NOS, unboxed Oakley 1's are gonna turn up?

looks like "50's60's70'ssales" has been selling a few red and black gen 1 oakleys with the cog as the "O" .... interesting

Hmm those red and black NOS 1's look pretty legit to me... 50-60-70s other auctions seem very related too. a lot of old inventory from maybe a bike repair shop. Why are they loose? Not sure, maybe they were parts left behind on kits. I shot him a message hopefully we'll get a decent answer.

The mold belongs to the owner in the case of injection molding.

So A'ME would not have retained Oakley's mold being the property of Oakley.

Somebody had been to Oakley's HDQTs and saw the molds in a display case, I can't remember who.

Got a response from the seller. He seemed like a good sport about it!

Q:"Hello, I like your auctions! I had a question though, is there a reason why the Oakley grips don't have a box included?"

A:"They are easier to reproduce than the box..LOL I'm glad you asked I can send the box upon request but due to the grips being stored in a barn for many years the boxes warped and do not look good."

That 50's 60's 70's dude is a cool guy.  I think his name is Jim, maybe Bill - I can't remember now! 

I have bought a bunch of NOS 70's BMX stuff from him - all genuine, all legit and all at great prices.

PJ :ThumbsUp:

• Like 1

Also a load of black B2's from 'bmxwarehouse' in the recent past. We are all accustomed to his newly made SE bars, Tuf Necks, and Bullseye stuff...plus a brand nobody but him has ever heard of (USA Machine Works) that he claimed to all be NOS. Wonder where all those B2s came from