Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Regarding the annual BMX Society gathering...

Thank you Steve and crew for doing this for so many years. I will never forget my first trip out and how awe inspiring the site of this massive event was. So glad Brian P was able to convince Jarvi to pedal my fat ass around the track in the hack race. So glad Jarvi is in the incredible shape he is. :lol:

I will also never forget two years later going back and seeing the looks on first timers' faces knowing full well I had the same astonished look on my face two years earlier. To see Nycet geeking out and getting photos with with Fiola and the like was truly a trip.

These are certainly highlights in my time in this hobby. Thanks for helping me make the memories. And as Jarvi eludes to above... Getting to hang out with folks and knowing them on a more personal level is icing on the cake.

Keep_it_Warm, we will always have the ferry.

• Like 1

Distressful news but not surprising. Like William said about "all good things coming to an end." But I don't see it as an end. I see it as a transition to another chapter. And who knows what the future will hold. That door may be shut for now but there may be an open window to be found and the light is deffenately still burning brightly. 

I've been attending BMX gatherings since 2001-2002 and the shows under Steve's stewardship were the very best. I'll never be able to fully express what all those great events have meant to me over the years my friend. thank you.

If I were to have any regrets at all it would be not attending the 2009 show.

B=MX~RAD

Say it isn't so ...... Not that I don't totally understand ..... But shit, I'm a selffish bastard and I don't think I can go on without (now I'm really bummed I blew off the Mid West show)

What the hell do I have to look forward to then this yr ? Shit man that was my escape from the real world for an all but brief moment each yr, since the whole starting a family thing kicked off... That kept me going till the next and it was understood and accepted excuse for me to get away

Hell I may still have to play the roll like nothing is different and still head out regardless - what's the situation with setting up a tent across the street from your crib for a few days in June Steve ?

I'll roll up a few poster sized pics of bikes I found interesting and act like I'm strolling down the isles at the show - Cept I won't have anyone to bicker with - ffs, guess I could yell at the trees or something - lol

Damn - I'm sorry, I'm sure you feel bad as it is yourself and I really do feel the same as most and Dan probably said it best - but I can't help but feel a bit blue and disappointed - I do appreciate all you've done for us in the past and what you still provide to this day.

Get rested up homie and I hope the extra time off just adds to an even grander event in the future ,,,,

I know what you are saying Marcos. I will still be heading down with the kids. Just no bike show.

I can surely understand Steve-it is an epic undertaking and it became the premier vintage bmx event.  The only thing I can add is if/when you decide to organize the event again-drop the competition aspect of it and just make it a gathering-no trophies.  Just show up and hang out...the best experience I had at events were at SPRING FLING when there was not one trophy.  Takes a lot of the headaches and bullshit out of the equation.  People will still come in droves even w/o the contest part.

• Like 1

I appreciate your understanding, guys.  I know it's kind of a let down in some sense.

Who knows what will happen going forward, but even if I never do another one, I'm proud to say we always did it on our terms and we went out in peak form.  We kept it as pure as we could.   We focused on real BMX history, and we acknowledged those who were tuned into that... whether through our Life Time Achievement Awards, or with the winners of the bike show.   We did our honest best to keep it real, and I think the events reflected that.

• Like 4

I will second Scott on this...The first shows we held at Calabasas in San Jose were awesome. No trophys or anything, just in it for the cost of the chicken we grilled and some gas. Seemed the closest iteration of hanging out in the park with your boys on bikes.

Then, as Steve so eloquently put it once, it can be about Fellowship with people that are the same wavelength.

Still gutted though, like Marcos that was the one thing that helped drag me through the year, even if I didn't make all of them.

And Steve, you did better than keeping it real, you made it the Best show in the biz....Early Rockfords were probably pretty cool, but this show had grown to monumental proportions that never will be exceeded.

Thank you again, I will look back on the shows I went to very fondly.

The society shows were second to none - not even the early rockfords could compare (the only thing they had was the fact it was a two day event pretty much and the stay overs required housing, so the hotel jams made it pretty quaint and intimate)

core and genuine, humble and comforting ... It will sorely be missed.

Gutted. But as mentioned, I'm hoping it's not reflective of the scene and maybe it's just a transition stage leading to a revamping which could benefit the movement (one could hope)

Maybe a two day event which is a mix of all the good aspect from shows prior or similar.

But we still keep a strict authenticity over feel of it - even if it's getting harder and harder to do so.

Maybe an organized weekend - swap/ride and the next day old guys races / hacks and cruisers etc - just for fun - no real competition, just a super hang. Something - anything - ahhhh - I need my fix - Hahahahaha

• Like 3

Its got to be alot of work to organize a event like this. I was able to attend my first Society show last year and it was fun. Well worth the 18 hr drive to get there.  Maybe if there's a next time we can all chip in a little more to help out. volunteer , donate money.

Thanks steve for all the effort.

Even if there were a casual gathering/ride with people from this site (and beyond), I'd still considering coming out to hang and live bikes for the day.

Shit, this would have been the year for me to come and hang, and I'm not just saying that to be a dick.

Sorry to hear/read this Steve. Dis one of the Museum assholes put a sour taste in your mouth? I'm nosy as usual and would love to know! ;)

There were a ton of factors, Jon... the most significant however is simply the time and effort necessary.  It takes over my life because it requires so much attention, it's really hard to justify.

• Like 1

I can vouche for that - it's quite tolling and daunting a task, with little gratitude returned .... And not much else

Most just want, want, want and even demand, yet don't respect or care to understand the big picture - I've contributed and helped most I could in the last three yrs I was lucky enough to parttake, and got to witnessed allot of the BS Steve has had to endure - from event location providers to bitter new jacks complaining about this that or the other ca-ca issues - then there trophies,t-shirts and laminates and so on and so forth

I can totally understand - considering homeboy still has a personal life to hold down ..... But i still can't help but feel saddened by the news - I've seen allot come and go and most the community move on, it sucks when things change so drastically and your still left fighting to hold on. But I wont and can't ever give up hope, simply because it's such a part of me, A lifestyle per say, I can't ever see myself stepping away from totally no matter what the odds bring.

• Like 1

The society shows were second to none - not even the early rockfords could compare (the only thing they had was the fact it was a two day event pretty much and the stay overs required housing, so the hotel jams made it pretty quaint and intimate)

core and genuine, humble and comforting ... It will sorely be missed.

Gutted. But as mentioned, I'm hoping it's not reflective of the scene and maybe it's just a transition stage leading to a revamping which could benefit the movement (one could hope)

Maybe a two day event which is a mix of all the good aspect from shows prior or similar.

But we still keep a strict authenticity over feel of it - even if it's getting harder and harder to do so.

Maybe an organized weekend - swap/ride and the next day old guys races / hacks and cruisers etc - just for fun - no real competition, just a super hang. Something - anything - ahhhh - I need my fix - Hahahahaha

Very true in some respect Marcos-but I have been at judged and non judge shows-the one w/o trophies are the best (NOT referring the the caliber of scoots) as I believe even if it was just a gathering the same scoots would come.  If they stay home because their is no trophy they are assholes-just like those that cry they didn't friggin win.

I made it to one, 2 years ago. It was good times, hell, we even parked next to Eddie Fiola, that was cool in itself.  Anyways, I am glad I was there, thanks Steve.. At least we got BOTY......

Let's just grab our bikes and and and go hang out, just sayin no need for all the stress lets just hang.

• Like 1

/\/\/\/\ Yup set a date find a place and THATS it...if they cant make that date-there is always next year......take the work and stress out of the equation.

• Like 1

/\/\/\/\ Yup set a date find a place and THATS it...if they cant make that date-there is always next year......take the work and stress out of the equation.

word

Sad news, but as so many have stated, totally understandable. I can't even imagine how difficult putting something that big and that awesome together is. I only went to a few of your events, but they were all incredible! They were well laid out, ran like clockwork and the vibe was awesome! Thank you for all your hard work and dedication!

• Like 2

There's an old saying, "Don't know what you got (till its gone)".

I'll never forget the good times shared, old friends and new, and the generous effort from the people who made it happen.

Thanks, Steve and Crew!

• Like 1

sorry to hear but totally understood. i was never able to make it down but thank you steve for your years of blood, sweat and tears. i have a great collection of t-shirts, posters and goodies and maybe if it resurrects in some form, some day, i might finally be able to attend. 

I think there's a place for everything - trophies aren't for every show, but every show isn't meant to be the same

Some are just get togethers, fine

Some are people's choice, fine

Some are panels of undisclosed respected hobbyists, fine

It's no different then any other award ceremony - which has its pro and cons but each is a part that showcases a different facet and focuses attention to the hobby and its many levels.

Att times its good to be about a competition factor - isn't that what the sport was about, it promotes excitement and drive and imagination etc-- winning races or freestyle events and kudos and acknowledgement for achievements - psyche outs, mind games, strategy, flashy or not, flow and style etc.... But in the end or after the races, we all shared a beer or a war story and basked in our comradery and common passion for the sport/hobby.

There's always gonna be drama attached with any one of those - oh this race is discriminated so they don't get Emmys or oh women don't get credit for they're work so they don't get as much respect or attention or they don't like this cliche so they favor they're boys or it don't fit the picture of what I think it should be so I don't agree with the panels bias' views - it's all part of it.

It's what it is and for the longer standing members of this hobby what that show offered and represented was considered by those peers as the most learned and prestigious of all the communities biggest movements through that yr and what stemmed from it - each grew and each introduced or taught something new.

I'm sorry but I feel it's not just a major loss for me or the guys that shared - its a major loss for the entire community. Whether you attend or can't. It set a bar and standard and was a very important event many valued and looked forward too each and every year.

• Like 2

We had a show without trophies once upon a time. They were the best shows we had down under.
Sadly politics and shitfighting ruined and like Steve, the organizer said no more. It was a massive amount of work.
I'm just pissed because I couldn't get to the US to meet everyone.