Sign in to follow this  
nycet3

BMX Society is the real museum

I know I am preaching to the converted, but the site we have here is too good to not preserve.

I poke around at the museum, mostly to buy and sell stuff. (Have tried buying, selling and trading here with very little luck.) But I also read some threads there. (Today I made the mistake of reading a thread on Son Lite hubs over there. That is time I will never get back. Some valuable info, for sure, but it was totally obscured by drama. I get that some people like a thread like that. And that's cool by me. Not my cup of tea.

I have to admit that I felt nervous for the fate of the Society site when Steve decided to not put on the show this year. I know I'm probably overreacting.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that in addition to each of us preserving the bikes, parts, clothing and ephemera of old school BMX, we all have to pitch in to preserve the Society site.

Let's get a discussion going on how we can do that.

Joe

Participate.

That's it really.  In spite of the lack of feedback you'll get, what is needed is for people to buckle down and share their insights and help archive what's already here. It requires effort and diligence and... TIME.  It's also largely a product of where attention is focused. FB is dominating the mental bandwidth of some important members here.  I don't think that can be remedied because people are stimulated by the rapid and abundant feedback.  I wish it was as easy as saying, "snap out of it, dude"... but it's way deeper than that and it won't change. It won't.

The fact is though, if people don't make an effort, the future is uncertain. The site is like cultivating a garden, and frankly... a lot of people would not only just prefer to go to the store, they prefer to skip that stage as well and just go to the drive through at the fast food joint.  It's barely food, but it makes the stomach stop growling.  

• Like 1

Im going to make this painfully clear and unfriendly, IF YOU MOTHERFUCKERS WANT THIS SITE TO CONTINUE TO EXIST THEN ITS TIME TO STEP UP FINANCIALLY. IM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SAME EIGHT GUYS THAT RE-UP OVER AND OVER, BUT

E V E R Y O N E WHO DARKENS THIS DOORSTEP FOR ANY REASON. THIS SHIT IS FAR FROM FREE. TIME TO STOP BEING DEAD WEIGHT. EVERYONE OF YOU WILL WASTE $20-40 BEFORE YOU GET HOME TONIGHT. YOU WANT THIS SITE TO SURVIVE THEN IT IS TIME TO FUCKING STEP UP, PAY UP AND PARTICIPATE.

Im sick and fucking tired of seeing how this site mentally and physically beats Steve down and everyone thanks him by freeloading and putting all our energy into Satans spawn that is Facebook.

Shit or get off the pot, boys. Its that serious.

• Like 1

"The site is like cultivating a garden, and frankly... a lot of people would not only just prefer to go to the store, they prefer to skip that stage as well and just go to the drive through at the fast food joint.  It's barely food, but it makes the stomach stop growling"

perfect way to describe Facebook...

• Like 1

I don't think I have been paid up for a while...I just did!!!

I would hate for this place to go away.  It's home...

As far as I know, I'm still paying yearly dues to the big 3, though I think I'm about to cut funding to vintage. There's just nothing happening there I'm so sad to say because it's always been home for me. 

Edit: Looking at my sig, it looks like I didn't pay my dues last year. I'll have to fix that.

Edited by RL Paulie

Do we get pms when we're running close to the end? I usually just use the mobile site, so it might take me a while to realize it when I run out, if not.

No Noah, you wont. If you click on the support button, it should tell you when you are due.

It does send an e-mail automatically, but many people don't seem to get them.  Might get caught by spam filters.

I haven't posted for a while but am posting to see if I am still a member. Is there a donation section if you want to pay more? 

There I go, I'm still a Patron, I thought I'd be a legend or something by now :-)

Please pay up boys! this is a historically worthwhile site, where the purists live! :cheers:

• Like 2

I know I am preaching to the converted, but the site we have here is too good to not preserve.

I poke around at the museum, mostly to buy and sell stuff. (Have tried buying, selling and trading here with very little luck.) But I also read some threads there. (Today I made the mistake of reading a thread on Son Lite hubs over there. That is time I will never get back. Some valuable info, for sure, but it was totally obscured by drama. I get that some people like a thread like that. And that's cool by me. Not my cup of tea.

I have to admit that I felt nervous for the fate of the Society site when Steve decided to not put on the show this year. I know I'm probably overreacting.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that in addition to each of us preserving the bikes, parts, clothing and ephemera of old school BMX, we all have to pitch in to preserve the Society site.

Let's get a discussion going on how we can do that.

Joe

Thats what you get with the number .com has...Do I like all the fuktards-no but its great for a laugh and there is nothing you can do about it.  This site has it's pluses and minuses also-personally the things that prevents me from adding to the info. base is I can't stand the way the R and D sections on both sites change although I understand it.

I hope this site doesn't go away anytime soon. I just got here and I really like what I've seen so far. I might just have to open up the wallet and chip in right away. 

I'm the webmaster of a site for a little local "car club" that I help run, so I know all too well what it's like to compete with Facebook and other websites. It's very difficult to keep people coming back to the site. I have spent a lot of time keeping the forum updated and trying to add new content, but we have very low activity on the site these days and I definitely feel Facebook is the main problem. We started a Facebook "Page", mainly to promote our site and reach people who never get on the forum, but we refuse to start a "Group". We figure, once we start a group, we might as well just pull the plug on our website and we don't want to see that happen just yet.

Edited by lillare
  • Like 1

I for one have never had a problem with giving funds to the site. Shit earlier this year I sold a set of buckles and all money went to Steve. And I tink wvery one should toss a $20 to help. Ther are no words on how much I enjoy this place. And yea most of the time I'm just lurking reading some of the great stuff that is posted here. And as Brian said the other site is a bunch of drama queens and that is way I stay away from there for the most part. So dig out the $20 and pay the man !! The shit that has to be done to keep this site up has to be crazy !!!

• Like 1