Sign in to follow this  
lillare

Who's this lillare guy?

Hey everybody! My name is Larry and I've been lurking around here for a few days. I figured I'd start an introduction thread before I post anywhere. It's always kind of weird when some new guy shows up and just starts chiming in on a subject.

I've been a member of some of the other BMX sites for a few years now, so I recognize quite a few names here. I try to avoid eBay and Facebook as much as possible, but you might see me there every once in a while. Sometimes you do what you gotta do to get a certain part.

I'm into building old school bikes and I ride on occasion, but nowhere near as much as I'd like. I don't consider myself a collector, but I guess I do technically collect bikes, even though I don't have that many. I don't collect parts at all. Unless I think I might use it sometime soon, I sell anything that's not attached to a bike. It would be nice to collect a bunch of stuff, but I have too many other hobbies that suck up all my cash.

I really enjoy attending BMX shows/events, so it kind of sucks living in MD. This area is pretty dead when it comes to stuff like that. The Philly events I attended back in 2011-2012 were awesome, but it seems like they are gone for good. It looks like I'll have to do some serious travelling to attend anything of that magnitude again. We have an annual ride here in DC, but that's pretty much all it is. The swap is usually very small and there doesn't seem to be any interest in having any kind of show at all. Don't get me wrong, it's always a blast, but I kind of wish it were more than just a ride. 

Anyway, I look forward to being a member here. I'm into taking pictures, so I'm sure you'll be seeing photos from me in the future. I'm kind of a quiet guy, so don't expect much drama from me.

Here's my little stable of bikes:

bmx_2014_lineup.jpg

I have made changes to several of those bikes, but haven't had a chance to take new photos. Once all this snow melts, I plan to get some nice shots. For the record, the 600C is my daughter's bike, which is why it looks like it's setup for a little kid. And yeah, I like Redlines.

• Like 1

Welcome to the party, Larry. I'll move this to the main forum as a lot of people don't venture into the off topic area.

:cheers:

Sick lil' stable you got there. Redline's are the biz!!!

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Thanks for moving the thread too. I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate here.

Cool bikes! I like the RL20-II best. That hazard yellow is my favorite color on those.

G'day Larry!

Who doesn't like a Redline!

Good stuff, keep up the good work.

B

Larry? Did you do one of the big Philly rides? I may have been there with ya for one or two.

Welcome.

Welcome to the party, Larry. Nice bunch of bikes you have there.

Right now I have five 20" bikes, and every one is a Redline. That's my brand, for sure.

Joe

Thanks for the welcome and comments on the bikes guys. The RL-20II is my favorite also, but I'm working on a RL-20 ProStyler right now that might give that bike a run for it's money. Well, maybe not, but I think it's going to be pretty damn cool.

Larry? Did you do one of the big Philly rides? I may have been there with ya for one or two.

Welcome.

I only made it to one actual Philly Ride and that was in 2011. I'm the old guy leading the pack:

lare_philly_ride_2011e.jpg

I also made it to the Philly BBQ in 2012. I went on the night ride, after the show, and the ride the following day. I was riding my Cali Red ProStyler, which won a prize, obviously.

rl20_philly_bbq_bfr.jpg

Welcome, Larry. nice batch of bikes.... and I am kinda partial to the yellow one, too.

Welcome!

Hey man, welcome to the site!

Being a NoVa resident, I feel your pain on the lack of events around here. I haven't even been able to make the DC rides past few years even, because they were only on Saturdays,which I have to work. Last year I think they even made one on a Sunday, but of course life got in the way on that one too.

From your stable it seems like you lean more freestyle than race, but don't let that stop you from checking out Nova BMX's annual vintage day, there is a good turn out usually of all sorts and eras of old school goodness, and some really good local peops.

Your collection looks awesome, and I look forward to seeing more of them!

Drew

Welcome aboard - took Ya long enough.

Seems we shared quite a bit of similar experience in the community already and judging from your line up and build style - this is the place you needed to be for quite sometime.

No other site champions preservation and selectivity and the passion of the hunt as thorough. And by the looks of those builds, they hit all the marks to fit the outline.

I miss the Philly jams too (yeah I was there as well) ; )

image.jpg

I did a nova as well many yrs ago when they first started running them - never did get a change to make it down for another, but it was good fun !

Thanks for the welcome everyone and thanks for the heads up on that NOVA event. Somehow I hadn't heard of that. Sounds like something I'd like to check out.

Drew, hopefully you can make it to the DC Ride this year. It's always a really good time.

And yes, it took me way too long to sign up here. My bad.

Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 4.02.00 PM.png

Welcome in Larry.  You've got a nice lineup of bikes.  I especially like your Redline cruiser and Hutch.  I'm assuming Redline was big in your area when you were growing up?  Anyway, thanks for checking in.  :cheers:

Welcome friend!! NICE bikes!!

Thank you sir. Much appreciated. 

Welcome in Larry.  You've got a nice lineup of bikes.  I especially like your Redline cruiser and Hutch.  I'm assuming Redline was big in your area when you were growing up?  Anyway, thanks for checking in.  :cheers:

Thank you too. My love for Redlines comes from me being loyal to the brand I rode I guess. I grew up in MD, the home of Hutch, so that's the bike you saw the most. I was lucky enough to live real close to 2 bikes shops, which happened to be directly across the street from one another. One sold mostly Schwinn and Mongoose, but the other seemed to have everything. I would go in there and drool over the Race Incs, JMCs, Hutches, etc, but never really could afford any of those back then. The best I could convince my parents to buy me was a custom order '82 Redline MX-II. That was the only decent bike I owned and rode it throughout my teens. I even converted it to a freestyle bike when that became the rage. I've built a few Hutches, mainly because I did see so many BITD and always wanted one, but aside from those few, all my other builds have been Redlines. There are a couple more I wouldn't mind owning, so I don't think I'm done building them yet.

Here are a couple shots of my MX-II. I wish I had a picture of it early on, right after I bought it. It's hard to remember what parts were on it. I think it had Race Inc bars and blue Arayas, but I don't remember much else about it.

redline01.jpg

redline04.jpg

That redline is soooo sick. Cooler than any hutch IMO.

I'm with ya man. I miss that bike. It saw lots of changes throughout the years.

1 trip to the Cali bike show in June will make you a repeat customer.

I've made it there 5 times myself from NYC.

Welcome aboard. Nice stable of bikes.

Thanks Glenn! I appreciate it.

Are you talking about the show that's supposedly not happening this year? If so, hopefully it happens again in the future. I've heard about it and seen photos. Seems like it was definitely worth a trip across the continent.