Sign in to follow this  
Yardsale2

Now this hurts !!!!! And I hate the sight of it.

Could be a good business opportunity. Ever think of owning a bike shop? 

• Like 1

Could be a good business opportunity. Ever think of owning a bike shop?

Yea I was thinking about a bike/estate sale store lol

shit...that's not a bad idea...ever thought about a 80's vintage shop???  I don't know...you come across enough cool stuff to warrant opening up a little shop.  If you do bikes in a section, why not??  

• Like 1

i agree. A shop would be cool as hell, providing the rent doesn't crush you.

I'm doing a little digging in to the idea.

Sad to see any bike shop close but would be cool if it became your spot.

Bummer. Owning a bike shop would be great, if you weren't worried about making a living. If they're going out of business after all these years, imagine what you'd have to do to boost business to make it worth your time. I have a friend who owns the best bike shop I've ever been in, ever. He basically makes enough to keep the lights on and works as a tattoo artist to make a living. Not trying to be Debbie Downer here or anything, just saying.

Better ask the time frame - most the shops the closed here just did it one day to the next with no warning.

Get personal phone numbers - start asking about the drawers of little parts and bins .... All that stuff usually gets discarded and overlooked when selling off remains - people to us on large re sellable stuff but the small bits are priceless and harder to dig up ...... Wish I was in the area.

I second what Sod said. If you can make it happen keep the memory alive.

I had the opportunity to purchase my local shop here in AZ, Kore bikes as the owner a good friend of mine moved to Idaho with his wife. but multiple surgeries some which have happened and some that will still be in the future, and starting a family I decided it was best to pass. Fortunately another friend purchased it and is keeping it going.

~S~ 

I don't know how much resale you do but a place like that would be a really cool storefront to showcase you best quality items even if you sell mostly online. I sell vintage car and truck parts or a living and have thought it would be cool to purchase a vintage 50s gas station to picture the best parts displayed from my website. That bike shop looks super cool and would work along the same lines

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. Called and asked how much ? And just waiting for a call back. the guy I have always delt with told me they started off at 55k for everything in the shop. But the have sold a lot off already. Mostly Mt. And road bikes. Still a bit of Bmx stuff,some cases, racks and shit like that. He is checking on the store for me now. I would love to own this or at least rent this place. The wife and I do a lot of estate sales and always have big stuff left over. And she's all in to.. So I will keep tring untill there in no more try left.

It would be cool for you to get the shop, I had to help a long time friend of mine move out of his shop.

A lot of stuff went down there raced for them and still have parts from that shop it was sad to see go.

chula vista Schwinn in san diego.

I've owned a shop for 11 years now and it's the plain Jane flat fixes, tune ups etc that pay the bills. You sell lots of tires,grips, tubes, seats, pedals and a handful of things like stems, seat post clamps etc, things people touch wear out the fastest and need replacement.  I have a fair amount of vintage stuff hanging from my ceiling and I sell 100 used 65 dollar bikes before I sell one 250 dollar Sting Ray. Just saying all aspects of collecting has a market and it about 1% of what I make every year, if you cater to collectors plan on going out of business, you can be "cool" and broke all at once man, hate to be a bummer on that one but most people just don't care about the various bike niches out there, they want their Magna Glacier Point fixed. 85% of the bikes sold in the country are from big box department stores and the shops are fighting over the table scraps left over from Wal-mart et. all. I've cleaned whole shops out for 700 bucks, 50 bucks, 1000 bucks, the most I payed for a whole store that had been there for over 40 years with many owners was 2200, it was 9 truck loads of stuff. My point here is you should be able to get what he has left for a song if you do decide to hang your shingle out there. Typically a successful business is sold for a year of the gross, a failing one? Two days before he has to be gone and it's the trash or you, one has the power of negotiation in their court.