Sign in to follow this  
VintageBMXrookie

Found a 1982 Kuwahara

I recently became an owner of what I believe is a 1982 Kuwahara. Is it a KZ-1, KZ-2? This is my first BMX bike and I know nothing about them except for my internet search last night.

I have a boat load of questions.......

How can I tell what name brand the rims are? I know it has Dia Compe brakes with MX levers. Chrome is good on the handle bars, sprocket and rims and should clean up well. The paint on the forks is pretty chipped, but the rest of the frame is in really good shape.

I am into vintage snowmobiles and I know with them original condition is key on certain models and restoration is ok on others. Would it be best to leave this bike as is, with it's patina (a survivor), clean it up, restore? And finally, the question we all hate on the snowmobile forum....what's it worth? I plan on taking more pictures tonight or many of the details.

Are there any clubs in the New England Area?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Kuwahara.jpg

Look for a stamp on the rims near the valve stem hole.  The difference between KZ1 and KZ 2 was the component package, so... if nothing has been changed with the wheels, they'll be Ukai rims, at least according to the usual specs.  KZ 2 had 1 pc cranks, as yours does. But I can see your bars have been changed over the years because neither model had those.  The original bars were V bars.

As for value... I can't answer that definitively.  You might do a past auction search on Ebay.  I'd estimate $500 to $700 at the very top end, I might be underestimating though.

I'm no Kuwahara expert... this is all just based on the magazines and ads... someone else might be able to help you with more detail.

Finally... yes, original finish is the way to go.  

cool bike.  

definitely leave it original.   we're all about survivors around here.  

I dig that blue, looks clean too.

Knock the dust of it and pull those bars back a tad, congrats that is a great example!

Thanks for all the comments, help and advise. I understand how the "what it's worth" questions go From my vintage snowmobile knowledge. It's just ones opinion, but that's all I was looking for so I appreciate any opinion. On the sled site you get the wise guy answers like "whatever someone will pay". Thanks again. I hope to knock the dust off and get some better pictures posted.

That's a great find.  Survivors are just not coming up that much these days.  Keeps me hopeful that I will find something soon...LOL

As for value, I have no idea what it's worth.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it's worth more than what you paid for it...

Welcome to the site.

Tony

A few more photos and details:

Elina BMX seat

KKT-AMX Pedals

Kendra Tires

Front Rim is an Araya?  font was hard to read

Rear rim Axle has STW, Made in Japan stamped on it.

Everything rotates smoothly, wheels crank, etc.

Seat post moves up and down freely.

Left pedal has a bend in it, Right one has a cracked reflector. (I call that "as raced condition" lol)

P1120976.JPG

P1120979.JPG

P1120980.JPG

P1120991.JPG

P1120985.JPG

P1120986.JPG

P1120992.JPG

P1120998.JPG

That's beautiful. That's going to look amazing cleaned up. Enjoy.

Looks great. How ever going to look even better just wiped down and cleans up. And don't forget to pull them bars back a bit lol

How should I clean up the spokes? What are they made of or coated with? I don't want to screw up and polish off a zinc playing or coating or something.

Also I thought it was a KZ2 but "I am the Owl" said it is a KYZ. What are the differences between the two. And yes, I will pull the bars back a little.....

Thanks. I just went to another site and looked at both and now see the difference. There is almost an identical KYZ on the other site. Thanks again.

To clean it start with a box of rags and some soapy water

I definitely can see the difference now. I saw a picture labeled as a KZ2 that had a looptail. That's why I thought I had a KZ2. I appreciate the education. I'm so green on these, but eager to learn.

I posted a picture on the vintage snowmobile site I am on a lot and holy cow, there are lots of BMX guys there too. One of them thought to might be an Apollo. The serial number is T2L2388.

I know stuff can be replaced, but this looks to have Apollo pedals and a KYZ seat. Any telltale ways to determine KYZ or Apollo?

These are today known as the KYZ but if you had one of these back in the day you would know it as a KE-1. The KYZ is the model that came with Z-rims, this one is earlier

Same frame though, if I didn't make that obvious.... Oops!

Find me an ad that calls that a KE-1, please.

Yes, Jamie, the "supreme kuwahara knowledge man" says it is, but I have asked countless times for any proof of that and I have yet to get a response.

What I have found, however, is ads by kuwahara, and bike reviews in old mags that all have this "Kuwahara KYZ" called a KE-1. Maybe there is an ad out there that says Kuwahara KYZ. But I guarantee that bike has z rims on it, which goes with my theory I just presented.

Until I can find ANY REASON that the 3 hole gussets frames are called the KE-1 I will continue to call it bs.

Any ad you find with the 1979 "Kuwahara KE-1" simply calls it a Kuwahara, no model name. And that's what people that have owned theirs since bitd have called them. Just a Kuwahara, at least from my experience

I said "whats known as". I didnt say it was marketed as that, I am just trying to  give some guidance to different models, and what they are commonly referred to for someone that isn't clear. If we want to get into semantics we can do this all day. 

No worries. I'm learning as I go. I really appreciate all your input. Spending my time on here, the Kuwahara site and looking at photos on BMX museum to learn the differences. Are tubes readily available at a bike shop or online? Back one leaks.