Sign in to follow this  
Jarvi

1975 Mongoose

When I lived in Melbourne I was reasonably close to Waza so I was able to enjoy a personal BMX show each time I went there and learned a lot about BMXs and Mongooses in particular. Now I'm based in South Florida and live close to the other partner in VintageMongoose.com, namely Rick. This is where I get my BMX fix from these days and yesterday I spent some time there taking pictures as he is preparing to thin the herd by selling some.

This is an early 1975 Mongoose with Matthews Girder forks, Femco wheels and a few Schwinn bits here and there.

mongoose-75-1.jpg

mongoose-75-3.jpg

mongoose-75-4.jpg

mongoose-75-6.jpg

mongoose-75-7.jpg

mongoose-75-11.jpg

mongoose-75-13.jpg

His collection is not only Mongooses or BMXs and includes (for the time being) a couple of all original 1975 Schwinn Scramblers. One regular and one mini. These have indications of use with a few marks here and there, however, the condition of the paint etc is amazing. The boys that had these must have been a bit anal about cleaning from a very early age or very strict parents!

scramblers.jpg

scrambler-1.jpg

scrambler-mini-1.jpg
  • Like 2

that patina on that thing gives it so much flavor!!!!   :rawks:

nice examples

vintage mongoose

You have to dig the grease fitting on the headtube and behind the BB (I think.)  Sweet !

Good eye, that is a zerk type fitting. Like that Torker elsewhere that is certainly an interesting solution to lubrication on a bicycle.

• Like 1

You have to dig the grease fitting on the headtube and behind the BB (I think.)  Sweet !

Good spotting. Yes on both the head tube and bottom bracket tube.

mongoose-75-14.jpg

• Like 1

Pure bad ass !!! Love the look with that fork. I have the Torker with the same fitting lol. Something I have never seen before and now two bike in a week crazy

Nice 40 year old goose!

Love it all!  I had a 75 Scrambler at one point in time as well. That color, called Sunset Orange, was only offered for one year - 1975.   That Mongoose w/ those forks = incredibly cool.

Thanks Tom. Rick told me burnt orange, however, I think I remember reading sunset orange when I was having a look around for more information about them.

I saw a '75 in Pascoe Vale a few years ago Jarvi... :)

I lost track of what I saw in Pascoe Vale and the newer location years ago... In fact I can't even remember everything I have because it's been nearly 2.5 years since I've seen my things.