Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

1999 Quadangle - Last of US Production

I'm sticking with my usual terrapin like pace... this one took me a couple years.  Slowly get the bits together, and even more slowly assemble them together, but at least I finished something in 2015. :)

About 8 or 9 years ago I had the pleasure of riding one of these Quadangles, when Lionel owned Rod Beckering's personal 98/99 Race bike that ShadesSean now owns.  I was really impressed with it.  They are REALLY long... I mean, you would not believe how roomy this bike is.   I really like how that one rode, so when I had the chance to pick this frame set up from Hays, I went for it.

Quadangle_1999_Sbros.jpg

Slowly I've been getting it together, I think it is probably just short of 2 years, I can't remember exactly.

I tried to stay within a couple years on either side of 99, and I think everything but my generic seat post clamp falls in that time frame.  This takes a freakin' 31.8 mm clamp... yes, that's a big ol' post in there.

At first I was going to keep all parts USA made, but the Crupi pedals I want are expensive, and I really like DX and they are era perfect so, I'm ok with it, especially since they were more affordable.

This is actually the newest bike I've ever built.  I've never put a bike together with threadless headset and I've definitely never experienced Magura brakes before.  Pretty cool technology... but I decided to go visit Kendal Crabtree's (SE Racing family) bike shop in Cerritos for dialing and a tutorial on how to do the brakes etc.

For those unfamiliar... Magura's are hydraulic.  They are a trip.  Deep dialing requires bleeding the cable and all that... they are pretty tech.  I still have a bit too much play in the lever for my tastes, but it will lock 'em up, that's for sure, so stopping is really not an issue.

Quadangle_1999_Magura_Detail.jpg

Anyway... pretty stoked on this long as a limo, 20", USA made Quadangle.

Quadangle_1999_ChalengerBar_DK_detail.jpgQuadangle_1999_SDG_Saddle_Dtl.jpgQuadangle_1999_Powerlite_Crank_Detail.jpg

Bicycles are good for sanity. Put one together and ride it today. :-)

Quadangle_1999_FrontQuarter.jpg

• 1999 last of US production Quadangle Frame & Landing Gear Fork
  • Chris King Headset
  • S&M Challenger race bars
  • ODI Roughneck grips
  • DK stem
  • Magura Brake set
  • Spin Wheels 1.5
  • Rainbow Label Comp III
  • Powerlite Cranks and 44 t sprocket
  • Shimano DX Pedals
  • SDG Bel Air Saddle

That's cool, Steve. Looks nice and easy to ride.

This turned out amazing!!!! This has always been in the back of my mind, waiting for you to finish it. Bad ass Steve!!!!

Btw, Im turning you in because this is t in the midschool section ;)

• Like 1

As You know,I like Me a Quadangle...... Very Nice Machine.. Steve!

That is one good looking bike. I don't care what era it belongs in. :-)  I like the wheels too.

Excellent job, Steve. Hard to believe, but I like Quads :rolleyes: .

If you can believe it, I have never ridden another Quad other than my '81. One of these days I hope to try out one like yours.

Sick looking bike Steve! Dialed!!

This is the heat that keeps the bitches soaking in their seat! #beaver_retriever

This guy finally discovered the internet ^^^^

• Like 1

HAHA- I deserve that! What's up Hays, I'm coming to Chicago next week- you able to scoop me up in the camo bus?

Awesome build! I rode Maguras on my trials bike way back in the day..there's a 2mm allen key in the lever pivot that acts as a barrel adjuster kind of. Or you can move the individual caliper sides closer to the rims.

thanks Jay... I'll have a look for the 2mm key.

HAHA- I deserve that! What's up Hays, I'm coming to Chicago next week- you able to scoop me up in the camo bus?

Would that bus make a three hour trip to Chicago???? History says NOT :)

That ride is sweet. A little out of my time frame but I do remember the wheels being made not far from where my parents lived in Oceanside.

• Like 1

I tried to vote for this bike but it was not to be.......

Re the brakes:I think it is important to note that when these came out, hydraulic operated (instead of cable) brakes (disc or otherwise) were rare on bicycles. These were an important stepping stone.