Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Hacking this site's crappy search function...

Here's what you do:

Go to google.com

Put "bmxsociety.com" in quotes like that

Then your search term after the quoted bmxsociety.com

example:  

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 5.59.42 PM.png

It works way better than the site's own function which does not handle 3 or 2 letter acronyms well, and actually doesn't do anything that well.

So in other words... if you can't find what your looking for using the sites own search, just use google  to search this site.

• Like 2

Do I read a little anger into that post?

I'm sure it has a bit to do with the poor harvest from your money tree as of late.

yeah, my money tree seems to have some kind of blight shriveling up all the leaves and fruit...

But really the thing is that there is nothing more frustrating than looking for a thread that you KNOW exists and it just won't come up with it.  

I've found that I use the Google query of BMXsociety and usually come up with it right away.  It's ridiculous actually.

I agree. Sadly, I found more stuff for the Society through Google than the built in search feature. But then again, this is true for most dedicated sites regardless of the subject.

the only good thing about the search feature is that you can query by who posted...  which is handy at times.

Steve,

I noticed the difficulties in the search engine myself the other day but thank you for the tip. I regularly use the quotes in other searches but didn't even think to try them with my searches on the site.

~S~

this is something i've figured out.   :ThumbsUp:

before you search, go to the home page (so it searches the whole site).  if you search from some other page it'll only search that thread.   :Idunno:

this is something i've figured out.   :ThumbsUp:

before you search, go to the home page (so it searches the whole site).  if you search from some other page it'll only search that thread.   :Idunno:

that's true... one has to be aware of what the scope of the search is, and probably often people don't notice that it's only searching the current thread they are on.  However, it can still be an exercise in frustration even when you do the full site search.  Some days I have better luck with it than others.

Trulyodd nailed it!

Mr. Brothers, you need not apologize for anything contained herein.