Sign in to follow this  
Texasbmx

Blazer Documentation thread

Most Blazer info is scattered in many threads across here and bmxmuseum. Mostly here, but a lot of the good info is in Rebel racing and Navajo threads. It would be useful to post any Blazer bikes/frames/info/etc in this thread so we can have a solid place for strictly blazer info.

3BD61F4B-1AFA-4F43-9123-CDE05B34BB6D_zps

Square gusset 18" top tube. No serial number. Few square gussets made according to Mike Maberry. Original paint is blue, many layers of paint have been applied since the 80's. Made in Lufkin. Acquired from Louisiana.

91A4C14A-F03A-468F-B27E-20D155379DFD_zps

This blazer was made in 1980 in Lufkin and given to factory Blazer rider Shelby Hill. Her brother Shane had an 18" top tube blazer that was chromed with this one after it left blazer. The house these bikes were in at some point caught fire and Shane's blazer was burned, however this one survived. It was never decaled after it was chromed so I don't plan to add any decals to it.

480 serial number

• Like 1

This was purchased from Missouri on eBay. Curved dropouts and no gusset. 18" top tube. 913 serial number.

My suspicion is that this was made whe somebody owned the company rather than Mike. Mike says that his first Blazers had no gusset, so if this was one of his first Blazers why would it have a serial number if the square gusset does? He also says none left Lufkin chrome so unless it was done afterwards I think it was made in Arizona. If so, I would say it is probably late 1981-1982

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's some info Dubplatestyle posted. I'll let him post his Blazers.

From my understanding Mike Mayberry was to handle the marketing & management of the team while Dave Gersten was in charge of all fabrication for Blazer. (An interesting side note, Dave also manufactured the electronic starting gates for the ABA as well.)

After reading a lot of other forums regarding Blazer, Mike makes a lot claims that don't necessarily add up, here's a few factual and questionable statements he was quoted saying: Blazer made frames only, none where available in chrome, all where painted except 10 copper-plated frames, never used the single "B" as a head tube decal or logo, no pad sets or any other product bearing the Blazer name and besides being friendly with Bernie Anderson, Blazer in no way was ever connected with Rebel Racing.

From what I can gather Dave & Mike eventually had a falling out and went their separate ways, now considering Dave owned all the tooling and jigs for the frames, i believe it was at that point he either sold the company or partnered up with Bernie Anderson to keep Blazer going. This is probably the time period where Mike also claims someone was going around selling and manufacturing "fake" Blazer frames.

This December 1981 ad shows the blazer that is probably the same as my no gusset 18" top tube frame with the curved dropouts

image.jpeg

I have some good info I'll dig out. I think I remember more stuff in that ABA newspaper when I took that pic of the ad.

Thanks for starting this up. I remember when Blazer was trying to get attention in Arizona, not only from Bicycle Harbor, but from some of the local riders. The "contact number for Arizona"in the posted ad is a Chandler AZ phone #. I'm trying to find out if it was a bike shop or a rep for Blazer.  It was sometime between the '81 Grands, and the '82 Lonestar in San Antonio, that a guy walked into the Chandler track with two naked mini frames (no paint or chrome to keep it that much lighter.). He looked like Black Bart, big ole cowboy hat, belt buckle and all. I was told that he was the owner of Blazer. One frame was given to Justin Roos' dad and the other to Carl Bartley. Carl worked everyday trying to lighten the bike. We put everything on the market, and even had some lightweight parts made for it. I'll stick to the frame and fork discussion since the other parts are a discussion on their own. The '82 Lonestar was sponsored by Blazer and Rebel. The '83 Lonestar was sponsored by someone else. I can check my papers if you need to know who it was. If you have enough issues of ABA actions, you will notice Blazer ads going strong  through "82 and declining in '83. In "83 you notice Navajo showing up. Dealerships, factory riders, big ad campaigns, etc. About the forks...All I know is that these were produced locally and also ordered naked by Carl. My feeling is that the guy who had all of the jigs and other equipment from Blazer, hooked up with Tom Littleton, and ran with Navajo. My feeling is that Tom and I think his name was Dave, built these sew up forks before the Navajo brand was out, and later made them for Bike Harbor as Harbor Lites. This is when we were getting away from racing, so anything after Harbor Lite was marketed, I'm not sure of. I'm going to do more research and discuss with other people who were around then, and let you know what I find.

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

Thanks for starting this up. I remember when Blazer was trying to get attention in Arizona, not only from Bicycle Harbor, but from some of the local riders. The "contact number for Arizona"in the posted ad is a Chandler AZ phone #. I'm trying to find out if it was a bike shop or a rep for Blazer. It was sometime between the '81 Grands, and the '82 Lonestar in San Antonio, that a guy walked into the Chandler track with two naked mini frames (no paint or chrome to keep it that much lighter.). He looked like Black Bart, big ole cowboy hat, belt buckle and all. I was told that he was the owner of Blazer. One frame was given to Justin Roos' dad and the other to Carl Bartley. Carl worked everyday trying to lighten the bike. We put everything on the market, and even had some lightweight parts made for it. I'll stick to the frame and fork discussion since the other parts are a discussion on their own. The '82 Lonestar was sponsored by Blazer and Rebel. The '83 Lonestar was sponsored by someone else. I can check my papers if you need to know who it was. If you have enough issues of ABA actions, you will notice Blazer ads going strong through "82 and declining in '83. In "83 you notice Navajo showing up. Dealerships, factory riders, big ad campaigns, etc. About the forks...All I know is that these were produced locally and also ordered naked by Carl. My feeling is that the guy who had all of the jigs and other equipment from Blazer, hooked up with Tom Littleton, and ran with Navajo. My feeling is that Tom and I think his name was Dave, built these sew up forks before the Navajo brand was out, and later made them for Bike Harbor as Harbor Lites. This is when we were getting away from racing, so anything after Harbor Lite was marketed, I'm not sure of. I'm going to do more research and discuss with other people who were around then, and let you know what I find.

The man you describe is Mike Maberry. He and Dave started blazer, he was in charge of sales and Dave was the welder. Tom Littleton's son showed up on one of the other sites and posted about Navajo. He said that Dave also welded for them. there are some magazine ads that show the same blazer that is shown above only with the more squares dropouts instead of curved. These dropouts are the same that Navajo used. In theory, if one is found without decals there is no telling if it's a blazer or Navajo if it has the square dropouts. If it's a mini it could also be a rebel...

Dave did indeed build harbor lite forks and bars.

And nice blazer of course. Great early example. Blazer BMX racing was trademarked in late 1979 so that was probably made in late 79 or early 1980

• Like 1

It would be too much of a coincidence for the sew up fork not be made buy the Navajo guys. I wish I had more info on the timeline for the frame. It could have been made just before Mike's trip to AZ or it could have been in inventory waiting for a color. One thing for sure is the influence Blazer had on different makers. Thanks.

Lots of interesting info on these. I seem to remember the red Blazer that I have coming with GT forks but it has been so long ago, I can't be sure.

Lots of interesting info on these. I seem to remember the red Blazer that I have coming with GT forks but it has been so long ago, I can't be sure.

Can I post your blazer in this thread or would you like it

You are welcome to post it. It will save me having to look for the pictures or having to take new ones.

Do it!

• Like 1

I took some new pics.

What's the serial number?

That's a real cool frame! Looks to be an early as opposed to one made in Arizona. Very nice. Love the original decals and patina

so, many years ago, talking bmx with a coworker and he tells me he has an old frame he built for his son but his son really didn't get into racing so it was up in the attic. then he says he would dig it out and bring it to me. this is what it turned out to be..... I added the fork and crank from another haul. S/N 1013

blzr1.JPG

blzr2.JPG

blzr3.JPG

blzr4.JPG

The thing is dope! Another chrome blazer from Lufkin... Assuming the decals are og

cool frame!!!  

just another confirmation that mike doesn't have his facts straight.   his denial that blazer made chrome frames is bullshit.    

Hey, os... Could you give us a timeline on the gift you received... what time you added the fork, and what kind it is? Can you still get ahold of the guy you got it from to see when he got the frame , when he put it in the attic, when he got it out of the attic, when he got it to you. You have just added more proof that Blazer had no numbering system in any of their frames. I'd like to hear from somebody that was older than 10 at this time. 10 and under really didn't give a flying ..."frame"...as to what it looked like, or if it was chromed or not. All they wanted was to hop on it, ride it to the finish line and hopefully have a race that made everybody happy. I don't understand calling B.S. on the owner of a company, that probably gave a lot of his life to a company that may have had it's problems, but had some of the cleanest and at my time, lightest frames. Thanks

BTW- Nice looking frame but I don't feel the bars.